Chuffer Installation Tip

Screwy Nick

I have installed Chuffers on several of my locomotives and have found an easy to do so without removing any thing on an Accucraft. 

Take a piece of Shrink Wrap, used to insulate wires, and shrink it on to the business end of the Chuffer.

Open the smoke box and lower it to the area where the old exhaust pipe came out of the exhaust manifold.  Through the smoke box door guide it with your finger or a pair of tweezers.

Turn the shrink wrap to start the threads.  The wrap is only sturdy enough to allow you to start 1 or 2 threads, but not strong enough to allow you to cross thread it on the exhaust manifold.  

After you got the threads started, slide your screw driver down inside the shrink wrap and tighten it down.  Then just pull straight up and it will come off,  and if not just slide your hobby knife down the stack to cut it off.     DO  DA         ENJOY  

• 4 months later...

Yes,  the 'chuffer' is a whistle looking device that usually replaces the exhaust pipe on a live steamer.  It enhances the exhaust sound and makes it louder, for some too loud for inside running.   http://www.summerlands-chuffer.co.uk

This web site will tell you all you need to know.

I get mine through Silver State Trains in Nevada,   shipping is free.