Kadee coupler conversions

jkbixby

I am just starting to look at putting Kadee couplers on my Roundhouse SR&RL  #24 and LGB 33800, 33810 and 33840 passenger cars. I've looked on the Kadee website and a couple of other places and haven't come up with any answers as to what will work. Has anyone been down this path before and could tell me the correct numbers to use or at least point me in the right direction to find out? Thanks.

I don't have any of these!

I have done a good amount of equipment. I would suggest one or two important things. You have to get the coupler height correct and it's best to buy the KD gauge.

When attempting to get the right coupler, it's better to use shims on the body, then to buy the large offset couplers. They tend to uncouple under stress. Using the center set couplers with straight shafts and then shimming to get the coupler at the correct height works best.

Are you wanting to body mount them or go with truck mounted?  If you can I recommend body mounted.  I think what Joe is saying is it's better to mount on the body and have to use some shims than to mount on the truck and have to use an offset coupler I think?  At any rate as long as it's body mounted I can't say that I personally have seen any difference between centered and even max offset couplers, the impacts I've seen have had more to do with if it's truck mounted vs body mount.

Do you have any pics to share of the areas you are wanting to install them?  No doubt Kadee is the way to go.