MTH new 2013 catalog

enginear joe

I saw a picture of a new MTH G gauge catalog in their O gauge one. This is great news for me as I've heard a lot of gossip that they were leaving G scale. I prefer their engines for how solid their trucks are built and the value of having sound, control and smoke built in. The new engines should now come with DCC capability too. That should open up sales to more users. Joe

I couldn't agree more! That is indeed good news! Although I heard that they had no intentions of getting out of G Scale, it's still good to have some confirmation of continued products. A catalog definitely reinforces their intentions. Now I've gone from concern to excited anticipation!! LOL!

Joe

I have a friend who has a lot of the MTH one gauge, and having seen it and run it in person, I have to admit it is a really nice product. I'm looking forward to what they make and offer next. Personally, I am hopeful they'll make the N&W J steam engine and cars. Imagine if they decided to re-tool and make their product 1/29!!

Thanks for sharing that Joe, I just heard about this as well. Here is the link www.mthtrains.com/content/catalogs , see page 5.

In the latest interview with Andy Edleman back in September, he did re-affirm MTH was not exiting G scale. In a separate discussion he indicated that MTH actually had another engine already designed and ready to go, they were just waiting till the economy improved some. My main personal interest will be in new steam or in a DD-40 but this is good news that a catalog may be close. On another note I just heard that HRTrains may be looking to either sell out or shutdown. This is very unfortunate and just another example of just how badly this recession has hit our scale. Ridgeroadstation just exited without bothering to sell out. St Aubins closed.

Only thing we can do is to just continue to positively support all the mfgs in the scale, we don't want any of them to go the way of LGB.

Raymond

Mark, I didn't see your reply when I replied last... I completely agree, would love to see the N&W J class. While storage space is getting tight I would definitely make room for a J! The interesting thing I read was it sounds like if they had to do it over again they may have gone with 1:29 over 1:32. Either way I'm still really wanting a DD40 and while I prefer my Aristocraft Dash-9s with their great detail, quality and 1:29 scale, I'll spring for DD40s in 1:32 if they come avail. :)

Raymond

I am looking forward to new MTH One Gauge. I am not sure if previous dealers will stock again with MTH selling direct now.

Proto3 and single channel TIU for battery are on my wish list for One Gauge.

My Big Boy and VO 1000 switcher are battery controlled. I have DCC for most engines.

Hope this new forum turns out be friendly one.

Here is an image from the catalog. (attached)

MTH's direct sales have been to blow out inventory which is really no different than what USA Trains and the other G scale mfgs have done. USA has used a select dealer on ebay to quietly blow out product in the past... a year or so ago they were blowing PA units for $200 or less each. I've found most dealers never really stocked much G/One Gauge because its just too expensive to keep much on hand and just place orders for inventory direct from the mfg. When you ordered engines or rolling stock from RidgeRoadStation for instance, you had to wait till they placed their order and got delivery. Really when you look at it, the price will return to normal if not increase after they are sold out... about a month ago we saw an MTH One Gauge GS-4 sell for $2000 on ebay.

Single Channel TIU is supposed to be in the works and PS3 is now out for O gauge which should be the same board as used for G. If they do produce this new engine, it will be PS3 for sure. PS3 should be available for personal upgrades within a year.

I think this will be a great forum :)

Raymond

post-16-0-55625900-1350681911_thumb.jpg

Chuck and Ray, I'm excited to see what MTH offers, even if it is out of my range. MTH has been offering an interesting range of locomotives. For me, their steam engines are what I like the best. And now that I've had some opportuntity to see and operate their engines, I'm more likely to add one to my roster.

Based on their previous offers, I could see them making a x-6-6-x articulated and a x-8-x locomotives. Possibilities include a N&W A or J class loco, but also the Reading T-1. They already have the artwork for the AFT coaches, so that'd be one set of coaches they could re-run or build a new market for. With the 4 T-1's that ran in excursion service, there's a likely market. I'm just thinking of the number of paint schemes MTH could offer on a single model: Reading (in service and Ramble paint), AFT 1, R,BM,&N, D&H, Chessie Safety Express, other?? Looking at the success of Aristo's 2 bay hoppers, a T-1 or other coal hauling road engine should be a good fit for the current 2012 market.

Speculating is always fun, right? What do you guys think? What'd you like to see made?

Hey Mark, I'm the same way, the steam engines are what I've liked best too. (Guess I prove that from the fact that all the MTH stuff I've bought in One Gauge is all steam haha)

I agree and if I had to guess at the most likely new steam offering it would be either a Dreyfuss Hudson (4-6-4) or an N&W J (4-8-4) either of which I would love to own. I think both of those engines would have wide enough appeal to probably sell well.

You know I hadn't even thought of them running a Reading T-1 and doing it in AFT colors, that's a good point. Same on the point of the Aristo 2 bay hoppers.. I think Chuck has a number of those. Chuck, do you have any videos of the 1:32 Challengers or Big Boys pulling those 2 bay hoppers? Just wondering how they might look. I know I've been happy with my Bachmann coal cars behind all my 1:29 and 1:32 engines.

Mmmm my dream list... Outside of the Dreyfuss and N&W J, I would have to say a UP9000 (4-12-2) would be at the top, next would be a DD-40(although I know that's not a steamer ;) ), Pennsy T1 (4-4-4-4) and Allegheny (2-6-6-6), ATSF 3751 (4-8-4). I would really still like to see an Aristo ATSF 3751, that would be one nice Big engine! I'd also love to see a Virginian AE class (2-10-10-2) but I know it will never be made in this scale.

Virginian 2-10-10-2 (in O gauge):

Another 2-10-10-2 (ATSF): (Talk about impressive sound and smoke effects, this is worth the watch)

Pennsy T1:

Raymond

With the way the Bigboys are in demand, I would think they would go for the Allegheny (I wish). I would like to get something in PRR steam next to that request. I would buy the J just to have one, if I had the cash.

I wonder if they'll make more BigBoys with PS??

I too would be happy with whatever MTH decides to produce; and am definitely a fan especially of their steam engines. I'd love any of the engines mentioned!! However, with the economy as it is, a new steam engine release might take awhile. To produce an engine like the Triplex must take a hugh sum of money just for engineering costs. Although Ray was told a new engine has already been designed, (which is GOOD) I would still think there would be additional costs with a new release as opposed to manufacturing some older products? Therefore, MTH might just decide to reintroduce some older product but with the new electronics? At least for the immediate future. That's fine by me. I would love to get a GS4 or Bigboy!! One last thing: about a year or so ago I was at the ECLSTS and a large MTH dealer told me that MTH was seriously thinking about bring the Bigboy back!!! Maybe now would be a good time! LOL!!!

Thanks Chuck for the info; that is good news. I knew things weren't good when MTH started selling direct and at reduced prices and then Aristocraft followed suit. I'm not a businessman so I don't understand the business principles involved and what they are trying to accomplish,....although I'm sure it's a cash flow problem at the least. USAT's inventory is also very low. I don't know about Bachmann but I am sure all manufacturers are just trying to weather the storm. Hopefully the economy will recover as well as all model train manufacturers.

On another note: those videos posted above by Ray are indeed impressive!! I wish MTH would put those "special effects" into G scale!! In fact, I wish MTH would give G scale 1/10 of what is available in O Scale. It would make me a happy camper!

Just as an FYI, the only sales MTH has had direct has been the inventory they are trying to finish clearing out, they don't actually have an on-going program to sell all their One Gauge product direct to the consumer. Generally when companies don't have product that's moving (as happened in G due to the economic collapse), they will choose to just clearance it out so they can convert it back into cash for reinvestment. In MTH's case it was likely to free up that cash for other scales that were more profitable and were still seeing decent sales. I think some other mfgs do this so they can have the capital to finish placing/paying for new large orders of a production run of product. MTH chose not to pick favorites amongst its dealers as some of the other G scale mfgs have done when they blow-theirs out and just chose to sell direct. As a dealer it would bother me more if the mfg I sold for picked another dealer over me as opposed to just them selling direct.

To hear that even USA Train's inventory is very low is very troubling as well. I agree they are all probably trying their best to just weather the storm. When times are tough you may not have the capital to invest in inventory and instead need keep as much inventory converted to cash as possible to cash flow the business just to pay the bills. Hopefully things turn around sooner rather than later for it would be a disaster if we lost either USA or Aristo. (I think MTH is in good shape as they are so well diversified)

I agree!! Those Lionel Vision line engines are just over the top, but boy are those things expensive!

Hehe I know what you mean on the availability. Well I look at it this way, when it comes to affordable steam, they've rolled out more of the big famous steam than any of the others have to date so I'm grateful already for that! :)

Raymond

Ray, I assume you mean MTH as a company wanted to clear out G scale inventory? Because they are just about out of everything in G scale. I never thought MTH would become direct sale only....you need your product out where it can be seen. Your cash flow explanation seems logical and makes sense to me. I haven't been on USAT's site recently, but the last time I was browsing their site their inventory was definitely down. I'm sure Charles Ro is facing the same problems and just trying to get to better times just like anyone else.

Hey Joe, Yeah I do think ultimately that was what they were looking to do as I think sales really flattened out.

Oh and I do agree on the Vision line stuff, it's part of their new top tier product line. Very very impressive stuff! Manufacturers keep raising the bar and we all benefit :)

Raymond

One thing I immediately noticed while viewing Lionel's Vision Line is the obvious similarities between it and MTH. Both smoke almost identically. Both have the engineer chatter. Both have the smoking, quillable whistle. One would think that with such unique features and special effects that it would be under a company patent? I do know that Lionel and MTH were in business together or had some kind of relationship which eventually went sour; lawsuits and stuff. I'm not sure what the end result was or is, but there must still be some kind of a working relationship or agreement because MTH still manufactures Lionel-like trains with Lionel painted right on the side of some of the rolling stock. Anyway, the reason I brought this up is because I'd love to have a one gauge steamer with blow-down and a swinging bell!!

Joe

Joe,

The issue arose when MTH drawings for their steam engines were given to Lionel by the manufacturer in Korea (IIRC). The result was Lionel got free R&D and that's when you saw the shift at Lionel away from their 4-4-2 and 2-6-4 steamers to more realistic steamers. The end result was a $40m award by the court to MTH. Lionel promptly declared bankruptcy protection, and that's the last I know.

The similarities between the two companies is striking, but with the Lionel Legacy system and the MTH DCS system being incompatible, I am pretty sure the companies don't work that closely together. MTH does produce the Lionel Lines standard gauge trains, and uses the Lionel name, but I expect that is more out of convienience than a real desire to work together.

It would be cool to see an electric train that looks, sounds and acts like a real locomotive. Maybe they'll add a heater next, so we can burn our fingers, too!!

I was looking at their new 2013 HO Scale catalog and it appears they are testing the waters for European HO scale with the Bavarian 4-6-2. From what I've seen, their O Gauge line in Europe has been well received. I wonder if they are tending toward a 1/32 European offering.

On the other hand, there is a pretty good cross over from 1 gauge to HO in the catalog: Big Boys, Triplex, Challenger, GS-4/6, GG1 and NYC Hudson models. (OK, the J3-A 1 gauge is not a streamlined Empire State Express or Dryfuss hudson, but similar). The new offering appears to be a PRR H-10 2-8-0. Not sure if the K4 is new or not for them.

• 1 month later...

Mark, I haven't posted in awhile but thanks for the information about MTH and Lionel. I also viewed a You Tube Video where a gentleman has a boiler door open, a bell that swings, and cab windows that open; and all done remotely by the use of servos! Very ingenious!

And yes, I too heard that MTH is being very well received in Europe. I never gave a thought about MTH #1 gauge in Europe, but your suggestion makes alot of sense! Europe is a very lucrative market. Garden railroading is big in Europe and so is 1/32 scale. Now you have me thinking about this........ no doubt MTH is considering this!!

The cross over is pretty good but.......I'd .like to see more in the way of rolling stock. I think at least one reason one sees that cross over is due to sales. When a item (Loco) sells well in one scale (HO) they assume it will also do well in other scales. Usually this is true. However, when they applied this to the Triplex apparently it didn't work. My understanding is that MTH was disappointed in the Triplex sales. Maybe it was because of the economy and cost of the Triplex? Personally, I think the Triplex ranks right up there with the Challenger and BigBoy......all impressive engines!

• 3 months later...

True, but the prototype only ran on one railroad Erie (the Virginian is a totally different engine with much smaller drivers for the Alleghenies grades) and one that was not very successful in service. It is also a period loco, it's life span was short, from 1914 to the mid twenties, not compatible with much else (the hudson wasn't around then much less the others) But it sure was an impressive beast.

Yes MTH should look into the potential for 1/32 scale equipment for the European market. Gauge one is very big in England, in Germany and in Switzerland, it is slowly getting under way in France. For us europeans 1/32 is the scale, as I started modeling US prototypes only 4 years ago, it is the scale for me, not one 1/29 scale piece of equipment in sight or on site. It is very unfortunate that there is this scale problem in the US, it confuses many beginners, on most videos I see narrow gauge cars mixed with standard gauge ones... a thing which couldn't have hapened in real life (Although some narrow gauge cars did run on three rail  tracks with standard gauge ones they were the same scale, not a different one). Although I enjoy watching a fine model of a narrow gauge operation, I really find this mixing very childish. It also greatly reduces the amount of things which are manufactured. Especially when one scale manufacturer reproduces all or nearly all of the MTH engines in another scale like USA train did with their Hudson, GG1  PA 1, F3 and big boy. This kind of commercial warfare has done a great deal of harm to European manufacturers in the past, and now they tend to keep to different prototypes, all the better. Well I do hope MTH keeps doing gauge one and 1/32 scale equipment, they are really good. Very good mechanisms, well proportioned. I wish they would offer a scale coupler along with the LGB one like Accucraft does. Also if they would produce some heavyweight cars. There is a great need for their stuff. for us who model electric and live steam.

Another thing which I find surprising in garden railway videos is why people stick to short radius curves and pointwork in the great outdoors, where you usually have all the space available you want (which isn't the case indoors usually) It makes those big engines look ridiculous, when a chalenger or a big boy goes over small radius curve the boiler overhang is such that in real life the loco would probably tip over! I guess it's time some of the fabulous input great model railroaders of the '60 and '70 gave to us old timers like John Armstrong, and many others seep into the wonderfull world of garden railroading, to help bring the level of realism up to what ti is in indoor modeling. Not that I have anything against the naive or beggining modeler, if he gets fun and enjoyment that's fine with me. But for those who strive to improve their standards, if only to match the detailing of their models, it would be good to see more attempts at reproducing the real Mac Coy. and they hardly run standard gauge over curves of less than 360 scale feet (and at least twice that on mainlines) Thats about 4 yards radius in 1/32 scale. Try to put a curve like that in your garden and place such a big loco on it: Presto you will see that all of a sudden it starts looking realistic.