Simple Locomotive Carrier

Jerry B44

I have to carry my locomotives from my shed to my layout. The Big Boy is hard to carry by hand so I made a simple carrier, just for the engine. 1/4" plywood with a 1/8" Luan strip down the middle for the wheels to stradle. Sanded on the ends, I did got out the center piece a little after this first pix. I put strips on the bottom so it would stradle the track/ties, so that depends on your track type/size. All glued and screwed, Small L brackets to help the handle, which is also screwed to the side pieces. Works pretty good.

Big Boy is held on with small bungi cords.

post-49-0-80092600-1415291397.jpg

post-49-0-45525600-1415291437.jpg

One I made for the Challenger was heavier, with the tender but had two handles. One I made for my Mikado LIve steamer had a lengthwise handle so you could balance it, but you had those end pieces, and it was HEAVY. With just the engine, it seems to balance okay, if you had the tender, you would have to figure out the balance point before you put on the handle(s).  I like the open sides for easy access to oil/tighten/whatever.  Plus, trying to carry these long engines, plus a tender makes it pretty awkward going through doorways.

post-49-0-42859700-1415414121.jpg

• 2 years later...

You would have to use the wood style one. Loco rolls  off the wood on the flanges. Once the front drive is on the track, I lift the loco by the cab roof and slide the carrier out. Trying to avoid sliding the rubber tires. Plywood sits flat on the track rails. Underneath are strips of wood to stradle the ties. So depends on you using code 250 or 332.  I use velcro strips now screwed to the base to wrap over key areas, where the bunji cords were at.  Read the top posts and it gives some of the same details and a few others. Next time I run it I will flip it over and take a pix of the bottom.

Good idea but those things look clunky. I mean can't even drive your $1,000.00 locomotive on and off but have to physically move it?? Seems to me that invites breaking detail parts not to mention using bungee straps and clamps to secure the thing!! :OMG_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):