USA GP30 Conversion

enginear joe

Chuck converted this USA trains to MTH's DCS system. I have to show this. He did more than meets the eye. The trucks are changed to MTH's also. The smoke, lights, and sound are now through the DCS. The headlights shine brighter than most of mine do. Their actually like looking at the real thing. I hope this pic does it justice:

post-10-0-23110100-1352335643.jpg

Looks good. Any videos? Also, is there any particular type of LED he used for the lights? They do look very bright! My USA Trains SD70MACs also have very bright lights, but a lot of my other equipment could use an upgrade.

I've known Chuck for quite a while and I have seen a lot of in-progress photos of his work and he is very very meticulous. I'm honestly not sure I've even seen that GP30 operate before he sold it. How does it run with the MTH motor blocks? One thing is for sure, with those motor blocks it will be bulletproof and should last a lifetime. I've had a few apart and all the gears and axles are solid metal.

I do like the bright LEDs too, they do really set it off. You have any more pics or video?

Thanks for sharing.

Raymond

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 years later...

I stripped this engine a long time back for 2 problems. She was running the wrong speed and I couldn't find out why? Everything inside was basically a stock MTH dash 8 guts.

She kept shorting out and I couldn't find it. So I used the board set in another build. I pulled out the motors in an attempt to make her a dummy. I never finished her and she sat on the shelf.

I got a dash 8 in now and I need a replacement truck for her. So I borrowed one from this engine as she has been a parts supply for me.

As I was re-assembling the truck, installing the motor and wiring, I found a screw wedged in the bottom. It was packed in and disguised in all the grease so I never saw it. I have to believe that was the source of the dead short that would appear when it felt like it. I wonder if that was the reason for the speed problem? I can't remember if it was fast or slow? Maybe a shorting truck caused havoc with the electronics, making it adjust the speed????

It's a shame that this engine with all the custom work has sat, for something so simple as a misplaced screw!

• 7 months later...

It's just a plain gloomy day today. I figured I could finally do some work that's piled up.

So I'm finally restoring this USA GP30 that Chuck upgraded. I had a board set from a Hudson and finally had all the harnesses. So I spent the better part of today restoring the wiring that I had cut out. First I had to figure out what Chuck had for polarity on the LEDs he put in. Then, I had to match the original USA boards, Chucks upgrades, and the polarity of how the PS2 boards work. It's simple yet has my head spinning.

I finally thought I was done and just remembered that I haven't re-installed a speaker and the electric couplers. So after about 24 or more wires, I still have six or so more to do. God I hope this works! Oh yeah, I skipped the smoke! (4 more wires)

I don't know how Chuck has the patience and the talent to do such a neat and precise install??? I almost broke some of the cab pieces trying to get it back in place.

Why in the world did I strip this engine? What a job to get her back!

See what happens when you borrow from Peter to pay Paul?

001.JPG

I really should have taken a photo before I tore it apart. You should have seen how neat a job Chuck did on this!

Yes wiring is very time consuming!

I can't believe you found a lost screw in the bottom cover...in the grease!! That's kinda funny. I can't remember where those drives came from and if I ever opened them up.  That loco went your way like 5 years ago...wow!! 

Well I messed up something as the number boards don't light. Being that they are regular bulbs I have a feeling there's something wrong with the sound set or how the board is flashed?

Maybe I should have used different wires?

As I was putting it together I felt a cab post snap off right near the end of assembly. I don't have the energy right now to take her apart again. I will later to add a smoke unit.

I hate putting the Hudson's smoke units in diesels that don't need to smoke that much !

I just pulled my GS4 apart as the wick was burnt. I have many more to maintain and that wears on my patience. I had all winter and I waited until now so I deserve the pain.

Seems like some batteries have finally died after over twelve years of service.