Santa Fe hi-level coaches

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

The thing is - I have no experience with this, so I don't know if it's actually a good design.

I go with my gut feeling and try to make a model that is easy to deal with - even for an inexperienced modeler. That means I do take the time to search for alternative and maybe simpler solutions to problems.

Jens

Edit: I'm told that the German manufacturer MBW is using the same scheme - albeit with tighter locking on the bearings - so it would seem I'm on the right path.

Makes me think maybe I should tighten the locks in the cutouts as it's easier to remove material than to add it.

Still having some issues with modeling the 3D solids.

Looks like I may have run into the limitation of the CAD software, so I need to find a way to work around it.

The good news is that preliminary testing (still only in CAD, mind you) shows that the trucks pivot unrestricted when put in place under the cars, so the minimum curve radius that the cars will handle should be very small.

trucks3.jpg

Alright, here goes nothing :rolleyes:

I've ordered a test print of one truck. Looking forward to see what I actually get in the mail ...

The current price for the print of one truck is 42,57 Euro or 47,31 USD at today's exchange rate. Subject to change and not including shipping.

Jens

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the truck with bearings and NWSL wheels mounted and sitting on Märklin code 200 track.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but look at the springs B) and it rolls like a champ.

Let's see when it gets a coat of paint and braces at the forks mounted ...

Jens

IMG_0278.jpg

It still needs tweaking, but when I'm happy with it, I'll make it available on Shapeways, so anyone can order as many as they like.

My plan is to also release the CAD drawings as open source, so anyone can make modifications or print the trucks elsewhere if they find a cheaper or better service.

Jens

• 2 months later...

I've made some minor modifications to the truck and ordered a mk2 print from Shapeways - also to try a different surface, what they call "strong and flexible polished".

The polishing is actually some sort of media blasting, so intricate details may be lost.

Good news and bad news.

I still haven't nailed the brackets below the axle boxes. The studs have broken off - probably in the polishing process, so I need to rethink again and there'll be a mk3 version.

The 'polished' surface is much nicer though. Not like a mirror, but much smoother than the ordinary "strong and flexible" material.

Here's a truck fresh from the production line:

IMG_0476.JPG

And here it is with the NWSL wheels and bearings mounted.

A great thing is that I got the mounting right first time. The bearings clip right in with a gentle squeeze with pliers and they stay in place nice and tight.

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

Jens

• 2 months later...

• 1 month later...

I hadn't been following this as I had an operation, this is a really fascinating evolution although I am interested more in the standard single level Budd design. Congratulations on the design process. A word of caution about wheel standards though, I wanted to go finescale in gauge one, but stayed within the Gauge 1Model Railway Association standards, so that I could hold get togethers on my track. Otherwise I would have had a "captive layout" and no friends could come and run. This is most important for live steamers. Some French friends who are developing a French (NORD design) truck from laser cut brass parts and castings had the very same problem with wheels thicker than scale wheels.

I will be holding a steam up on the 28th of may of this year for those in Europe.

• 7 months later...

Jens, I am thinking about stretching some Great trains Superliners and remembered in a previous post that you said that you might allow the use of the your 3d files for the Superliner trucks and am wondering if that offer is still good?  I don't expect to use it for free, and I am willing to pay for it.  Have you set it up with Shapeways for sale?  I don't know exactly how that works, but either way, I am very interested.  I might be buying a 3d printer as your models look fantastic.  Thanks, Bob.

• 3 years later...