Show us your engines!!

enginear joe

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my UP snow blower I made a few years back. I used a Aristo FA chassis. Rest is scratched. It does work, has a 12v drill motor with 18v battery. One shot is of the real one in the UP roundhouse in Cheyenne.

post-49-0-01036900-1371786220_thumb.jpg

post-49-0-09352200-1371786223_thumb.jpg

post-49-0-15139900-1371786225_thumb.jpg

post-49-0-97627300-1371786251.jpg

post-49-0-46566400-1371786277_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my UP snow blower I made a few years back. I used a Aristo FA chassis. Rest is scratched. It does work, has a 12v drill motor with 18v battery. One shot is of the real one in the UP roundhouse in Cheyenne.

Very nice work Jerry and it works to boot :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you Ray. That's a great complement to me, coming from you.

I enjoy the feature of being able to drop cars anywhere when I want to. The price has gone up, but it's well worth it to me. I'll be looking to see what they release in the new catalog. I hope it's a modern diesel for my fleet. Otherwise, I'll probably be ordering the F7 set. Didn't know they ran 2 Bs in that NS train now. Looks like I have a ways to go to catch up with Jim!!

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been saying I was going to do this for some time but here are all the Big Boy and Challengers lashed-up.  I didnt have my good quality mic to mask the wind as it was killing the sound depth so it fades out sometimes but here you go...

• 2 weeks later...

LOL there is no doubt that couplers/etc would start breaking.  As it is two of these Big Boys alone which have 16-18lbs+ of combined pull force can break connections as I've popped a tender coupler once.  Each Big Boy pulls about 8lbs pull force and combined that number is more than just double (more like 18 I would guess).  At a min you are looking at a combined pull force of over 60lbs! O_O  

Finally did it tho, just one of those 'for the hell of it' things.  One neat thing I thought about when watching it was it's likely that there probably aren't many places anywhere (if any) where this scene can be repeated which is kinda cool I think!

One of the great things about DCS is you can plunk whatever down on the track and run them in consist. As soon as you add at least one pusher or helper engine towards the rear of the train, all the coupler problems fade away. I built a train in the basement that went all the way around the 150' mainline and nearly touched itself. I had more cars but ran out of track. Everything ran smoothly. I want to repeat this outside if ever the concrete guy shows up to pour!! I'll have some grades to add to the testing. I envision a helper district where engines can be added to get up the hill.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

another attempt at finding a donor engine for my switcher build. I had to put in new axle gears as the stock ones are all split. NWSL offers them for K-lines #2464-6. They are made of delrin and seem much tougher. This engine is light and the motors seemed weak so I almost abandoned it. Now with new gears, it seems like it's a decent puller. I'll have to test outside soon.

post-10-0-63039600-1392263944.jpg

Joe,

I wrote them, gave the measurements, they claimed they had nothing. So I just sent the # to them that you showed in your post, hope to hear back they do have it. I got one of the locos new from a guy, he'd never run it, the gear was already cracked!  I checked, because my other one had cracked also.