Show us your engines!!

enginear joe

The shades are not hard to remove at all. Just a little gentle pulling with some pliers, and they come right out.

TRR510.jpg

The top of the shade just slips into those two small rectangles just under the rain gutter. The wire that holds them up just presses into small holes in the cab; one of which you can see on the edge of the cab at the rear.

Later,

K

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jens, that BR50 looks great!! Is it live steam or is that a smoke unit?

It's a smoke unit, providing smoke and cylinder steam. And it's DCC.

You can see it in action in this video from approx. 3:30.

Märklin may have revived the gauge in Europe years ago, but they have not been terribly innovative in the digital age. This has opened a market for other manufacturers such as Kiss and KM-1, which give you a lot more bang for the buck. In turn Märklin has been forced to catch up, and they have recently released a BR38 with all the bells and whistles (quite literally) that are required today.

Unfortunately the current generation of KM-1 smoke units seem to have a flaw that causes the fan motors to fail after a fairly short time of use. Almost all models with this unit seem to be affected sooner or later. The theory is that the smoke fluid - or fumes from it - are killing the bearings of the fan motors. One of the guys has found a replacement motor - actually a tail rotor motor from a small R/C helicopter - that can be used as a replacement, and although this motor is slightly longer, it works. All the engines that have had these motors fitted are still working perfectly, so now we're going to buy a bucket full of these motors.

The smoke units have a fairly large tank with two wicks for smoke and cylinder steam. When I had the unit apart for replacing the motors, I noticed the wicks (made from heavy felt) were burned, probably from running dry. One of the wicks broke off when touched. After a couple of days of head-scratching and searching the web, I ended up using flat gasket string for an indoor stove. It's cheap and made to endure the heat, and it's braided fibreglass, so it's the perfect wick material. Works much better than the original, too. During the test run, I noticed the smoke stopped rather abruptly, and I thought I had a new breakdown on my hands. But no, it had just run dry. The new wicks are so efficient that the amount of smoke does not fade with the level of smoke fluid in the tank B)

Best regards

Jens

Here is an oldie. Twice a year we vacation in Florida and I take trains along to run where we reside and then visit Ed Headinton to run trains. The chessie GP-40's are some of my favorites. Those 100 ton BN hopper cars in the video I purchased from Ed........Jim

I am basically a steam guy,  only have a few diesels, but I have seen more beautiful locomotives right here than I have seen in all my years anywhere, the diesels I saw here are way over the top.      Very nice work men.  

That Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher looks EXACTLY like the AML Live Steam 0-6-0 that was offered a few years ago.  They must have used the same loco as their base.  The LS one can pull like I never expected. In fact I lost a gentleman's bet to Jason of the Train Department on the pulling power of the loco.   I have a video of it pulling a monster string of cars on Dan's layout.  One even has a squeaky wheel journal.   LG.          

OPPS, guess I messed that up huh,   that 0-6-0 switcher was an AML sparkie just positioned on a Bachmann box.  I should have seen that little loop on the coal load that hinted it was made by the same company that made mine,  

DUHH,  OK, I'm the idiot,  don't blame the dog.          

Jens,

I am in awe of how realistic the steam and smoke and sound is integrated in your BR-50!  Reminds me of the HSB 2-10-2T's I rode out of Wernigerode in September 2012!

I guess I should start running my trains and taking some pictures.

I am in awe of how realistic the steam and smoke and sound is integrated in your BR-50!  Reminds me of the HSB 2-10-2T's I rode out of Wernigerode in September 2012!

Isn't it great?  :) I am very happy with it.

KM-1 has announced a new slightly different batch, and I have one on order.

Meanwhile, here's a photo of a 4 x BR50 lineup at the club's main station. It was the first hobby show after the product release, and by sheer chance, the engines were all different variants  B)

Mine is the one to the far left.

post-559-0-85342200-1397145255_thumb.jpg

The HSB engines are great too - both full scale and in G. I wouldn't mind modeling the HSB.

I never went to Harzen although it's less than a day's drive from where I live. I always wanted to, but with the internet there is so much footage available, I'll probably never get around to it.

There's even a webcam at the Wernigerode steam depot  ;) Most of the time, there's at least one or two steamers there.

Best regards

Jens