Oil lamp on a LS loco, no wires

Screwy Nick

Several years ago (when the loco was new) I installed an LED, tinted yellow,  and Button Battery to light the lamp on the Accucraft Mogul.  

Worked just fine for quite a long time.  An occasional over fire of a butane locomotive, which is common, caused the battery holder to degrade to the point I no longer liked it, even though it still worked.

I cast a new one using JB Weld,  the standard JB that can take over 600'f not the quick hardening one.

Be informed,  JB doesn't like to be cast in an air free atmosphere.   After removing the mold it still needs at least 4 days to cure to full hardness. 

When done,  DO DA  enjoy                  BTW, I'm still using the same battery I have since the original installation.   

post-9-0-27471500-1419000811.jpg

post-9-0-03327700-1419000826.jpg

post-9-0-61644800-1419000838.jpg

Ray  thank you very much.   I use them even on LS locomotives that I can run a pipe to.  I just install the battery in the cab with a regular plastic holder.   No resistors needed to restrict current, none of the LED's I've used have ever failed and the batteries last for years.  The the round clear piece of plastic with the tab above the burned holder is actually the on/off switch.   I slide it under the + holder and the LED goes off.  When I want it on I just slide the plastic piece out and the circuit is complete.        

I have been doing this for years, just never posted it.   Here is an AML Live Steam 0-4-0 Dockside switcher that I did a while ago.  The saddle tank part made it real easy to hide the insulated pipe under the faux tank.    Again, button battery with the plastic ON/OFF device and the same battery since installation.   pics attached

'Portraits not my speciality'.                  

post-9-0-32381200-1419272324.jpg

post-9-0-97268900-1419272344.jpg

post-9-0-62825800-1419272359.jpg