New Member Saying Hello & Sharing Some Projects

DualRailTrail

Recently joined the board and wanted to say hello. Im from the Cleveland area and have been playing around with G Scale Trains for about ten years now with a strong interest in kit bashing and unique modifications. I am fluent in 3d printing. Here are a few examples of some things train related and not, I have designed in the past 3 years since becoming interested in 3D Printing.   I look forward to joining some discussion and sharing more projects in the future.   

post-970-0-04135300-1420062716_thumb.pngpost-970-0-32872900-1420062795_thumb.jpgpost-970-0-06324100-1420062804_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-79069200-1420063076_thumb.jpgpost-970-0-20826300-1420062838_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-96764200-1420062873_thumb.jpgpost-970-0-40583300-1420062884_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-54667400-1420062897_thumb.jpgpost-970-0-35964200-1420062909_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-65991700-1420062729_thumb.pngpost-970-0-11586400-1420062724_thumb.png

post-970-0-61611000-1420062748_thumb.pngpost-970-0-32486800-1420062864_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-47622100-1420062853_thumb.jpg

And a video of my Rotary Snow Blower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NT6gEiqpWA&list=UUCxY14_Hre3_khwTFWOsF4w

post-970-0-65567000-1420063212_thumb.jpg

Haha, Ya, its doable.  I was actually looking on ebay as i often do for some ideas on a future project and saw an HO scale  DD40 and gave it a thought.  That would be a bigger project for sure, but mainly figuring out how to put the power to the rails..4 axle trucks...;)hmmm...  maybe using 4 trucks from a 2 axle loco and combining them into a single truck? that would be the best bet probably.   I have so many projects on the brain and not enough time. You know how it is.. Glad to chat with you again Ray. :)

p.s.  The size is not an issue, I just recently got my 77 Ford put together ( the red drawing above).  Over 170 separately printed pcs. 42" long...Actually I stopped counting around 175.. :wacko:

post-970-0-28680500-1420065388_thumb.jpg

post-970-0-56844400-1420065509_thumb.png

post-970-0-63200100-1420065513_thumb.png

Amazing work Dual!  On the snowblower, I'd like to update mine. I had seen your video before. Can you tell me exactly which motor you used? I looked at the local hobby store, but he had nothing like that. Would appreciate it. Some more still  shots of it would be nice also. I'm using a 4" vacuum blade. Can you 3-D print your blade? Probably not. But thought I'd ask.

jerry

Haha, Ya, its doable.  I was actually looking on ebay as i often do for some ideas on a future project and saw an HO scale  DD40 and gave it a thought.  That would be a bigger project for sure, but mainly figuring out how to put the power to the rails..4 axle trucks...;)hmmm...  maybe using 4 trucks from a 2 axle loco and combining them into a single truck? that would be the best bet probably.   I have so many projects on the brain and not enough time. You know how it is.. Glad to chat with you again Ray. :)

I agree I was thinking the same thing, using 4 - 2 axle motor blocks.  I wonder would an O gauge engine be better for something like that?  Bigger model, better detail?  When I've thought about what would be involved, if one wanted to keep the fabrication to a minimum they could use two SD45 shells for the main shell.  Not sure about the fuel tank but would probably be close.  Problem with the SD45 approach is getting them now that Aristocraft is gone.  Sure would be a neat project and one MASSIVE, very unique model.   Great to talk to you again as well, very glad to see you out here :)

Fantastic work! The 3d printing aspect to this hobby is of great interest. I can only assume it will become a huge part of the hobby in the future and I look forward to seeing more of your ideas and projects. 

Amazing work Dual!  On the snowblower, I'd like to update mine. I had seen your video before. Can you tell me exactly which motor you used? I looked at the local hobby store, but he had nothing like that. Would appreciate it. Some more still  shots of it would be nice also. I'm using a 4" vacuum blade. Can you 3-D print your blade? Probably not. But thought I'd ask.

jerry

Jerry, Ive seen your videos too especially when i was researching the build on mine. Great detail and a unique model you built.    

There is a vid showing some build pictures of my blower here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCiEIYXOTFs&list=UUCxY14_Hre3_khwTFWOsF4w

The motor i used is a standard RC car 35 turn 540 sized dc motor. I then purchased a 2:1 gear reduction unit to help with torque. I got that from RC4WD.com.  Not sure if they still sell them, but you can search ebay of course.   I remember seeing the vacuum cleaner blade you used which was a great idea. I sure could print a blade. It would fine i think as long as you dont chew up any rocks with it, but if it broke another one could be made easily and the design could be altered to strengthen weak spots of course. I wanted to do a metal blade for the cool factor. It was a bit tricky to balance at first but turned out nice in the end. Thanks for the comment.

I agree I was thinking the same thing, using 4 - 2 axle motor blocks.  I wonder would an O gauge engine be better for something like that?  Bigger model, better detail?  When I've thought about what would be involved, if one wanted to keep the fabrication to a minimum they could use two SD45 shells for the main shell.  Not sure about the fuel tank but would probably be close.  Problem with the SD45 approach is getting them now that Aristocraft is gone.  Sure would be a neat project and one MASSIVE, very unique model.   Great to talk to you again as well, very glad to see you out here :)

Oh, when i mentioned the HO scale i was referring to the fact that i can get some ideas for G scale builds from HO scale stuff. Yes id definitely have to do it in G scale. HO scale lends some good ideas for G scale projects because there is such a variety of different models in that scale. Yes finding sd45s to cut up would be tough unless you had money to burn ;)   

This is what I made A U-50 out of two U25 engines. All four trucks are powered by battery.

attachicon.gifU-50 complete.JPG

Thats super neat. I love the unique, one of a kind stuff like that.

Fantastic work! The 3d printing aspect to this hobby is of great interest. I can only assume it will become a huge part of the hobby in the future and I look forward to seeing more of your ideas and projects. 

Thank you

Awesome projects! What printer are you using? Details look great. Also is that a 1/32 W900L?

Thank you. I use Afinia printers, and love them. I have spent more time printing parts for my 1/14 scale stuff, Which is what the W900 cab is for. Thats on a Tamiya King Hauler frame. That pic was a shot of a test Sleeper i made.

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff! 

I did have some Tamiya 1:14 scale stuff around here. A cab over (Globeliner) and the first issue King Tiger Tank. The Tiger needed a lot of hopup (upgrade) parts such as metal tracks, different gearboxes, recoil cannon etc. I ended up selling both pieces as large scale trains is enough for me. I have looked at those Wedico models and drool  :)

Your 1977 Ford looks great! My first new truck I bought was a 1977 F-250 4x4...Price was right around 3 grand out the door if I remember correctly. 

Your 1977 Ford looks great! My first new truck I bought was a 1977 F-250 4x4...Price was right around 3 grand out the door if I remember correctly. 

I second the nice 1977 Ford!

My first truck was a 1978 F-250 4x4 about 8grand with a plow!

Great work Jason!

Thanks fellas, sorry for the late reply.

Chuck, Thanks, I go back and forth between the 1:14 scale and G scale stuff. Those Wedicos are pricey but neat. Im a fan of the Tamiya rigs myself.

Sean, Thank you, you guys both had some sweet pickups. I have yet to find the right 1:1, so explains the 1/5 scale build, and it fits in the garage nicely :)

Been busy recently, Ive been encouraged to put together a website displaying some of my designs to offer them for sale. My most recent project which may not be for everyone but you outdoor railroaders may be interested in knowing its a new take on the snow plow Aristo used to offer and I added a bit more function and versatility to it. Ive spent that last 4 weeks or so prototyping this model/kit and am almost ready to unveil it and put the website online. Just trying to fine tune a few other items i will list that i have had good feedback on in the past as well. The rush is on as i realize the snow plow season is about half over soon. 

I will list the site under the vendors section when i get caught up, but heres a quick sneak peak of the plow which is sort of the crown jewel of the items that will be offered. The price will be on the high side so be prepared for a little sticker shock, but keep in mind the time to produce one of these is near 40 + hrs of print time and its composed of 21 separately printed parts which then need post print attention like sanding and breaking sharp edges, clearing out locating holes and setting locating pins for assembly..blah blah blah. Theres quite a bit of hands on work involved in a piece this complex. I know the general thought on 3D printing is its hands free production. haha, i wish it was but in a case such as this, complex models need to be sliced and printed in separate parts to get the best possible result and finish. Anyway I hope the design and website is well received. 

Plow details-  1:29 scale,  will be sold assembled as pictured, unfinished (need prep and paint), designed to mount to Drop End Gondolas but has a universal mount which will allow for custom applications as well. Sturdy construction ( will outlast similar products), and 4 way independently adjustable flanger blades, so after the first pass you can then go back through and adjust out the flangers, one side only or both in different positions, and widen and clear the sides of the track. I believe the design will also cut through the snow better and funnel it out the sides easier do to the blade contours like the deflector profiles up front on the blade and more gradual slope overall.  Comes with a removable light housing you can install your own LED in if you prefer.

Jason

post-970-0-56500300-1422129960_thumb.jpg