Need help with Mallet 2085D - Owner manual info

Lawman

I have a couple of questions regarding the LGB 2085D. Bought it in St Louis a while back but afraid to run it without knowing about the switches, plugs etc.  It was purchased used but in great shape but without an owners instruction manual. 

If anyone has one of these, I have a few simple questions:

#1  Are the two small plug-ins on the back of the loco for lights  (See Below) ?  If so, how much is it rated for?  I'm not planning on hooking up search lights but interior for the pax cars..

#2  Is it OK to run the loco without Smoke oil?

Thanks for your time....

Charlespost-74-0-32112200-1422248802_thumb.jpg

What I would do is put a voltmeter to the two probes and apply track power to the wheels and compare the voltage to those pins to what is at the track over a range of voltages.  If the voltages match exactly then you should have a direct connection from track power to those in which case should be no need to worry about what they are rated for when it comes to a few lights.  If there is a voltage difference, say .7 to 1.4 volts then it is likely passing through electronics and might need to consider amperage rating.  My guess is that you could probably use them without worry but if it was mine I would also pull the engine apart and inspect it.

Does the engine have any switches anywhere on it?  Would have to think there is an on/off switch for turning the smoke off.

Rayman:  The loco has a switch with three positions but it only moves when it's set to #3!  I still need to research it a bit more.  Found out that the power issue isn't an issue...  Found some plugs that fit and it runs the lights on the following three passenger cars quite nicely without a blink!  All those pickup wheels do their job!

Bjorn:  I appreciate your finding me that reference.  Although it's an upgraded model from mine, they are very similar and it's very helpful.  Appreciate your efforts.

Thanks

Charles

The loco has a switch with three positions but it only moves when it's set to #3!  I still need to research it a bit more. 

Many LGB locos have a three or four position switch.

Position 0  All Off

Position 1  Smoke and lights On

Position 2 As 1 plus motor On

Position 3 As 2 plus sound On if fitted.

The smoke units are claimed to be O.K. to run dry, you can see from the above that they can't be switched off independently. However I often choose to add a switch in the wiring to the smoke unit. To me it makes sense to switch it off if not in use, I have one that is 40 years old and usually switched off but still works when required. I seriously doubt that would be the case if it were always switched on!

No sound installed yet but will be in the near future.  Appreciate the info regarding the switches. I plan to use the smoke if it is running so I won't run it dry. 

Do you use strictly LGB smoke/cleaner fluid as stated in the manual or is other smoke fluid ok?

Thanks again

Charles

Do you use strictly LGB smoke/cleaner fluid as stated in the manual or is other smoke fluid ok?

Here in the U.K. I've successfully used a 50/50 mix of Citronella oil and Barbeque lighter fluid for about 15 years now without problems. I don't know if similar products are available elsewhere under the same or different names.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Citronella-Oil-Outdoor-lantern-Bottle/dp/B004OSIRL8/ref=sr_1_7/280-1371003-1710506?ie=UTF8&qid=1422576260&sr=8-7&keywords=citronella+oil

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-BA94124-Barbecue-Lighting-Fluid/dp/B0046Z1QLW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422576363&sr=8-2&keywords=barbecue+lighting+fluid

Both products are intended for outdoor use, I don't know if prolonged exposure to the smoke produced, especially indoors, is hazardous.