Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 - Restoration & Excursions (& 844 updates)

Parts 3 and 4 of the Steam Shop updates:  

Great update series.   Part 4 has a lot of interesting information.

Part 3:

Part 4:  (Updates on the facility, replacement of the drop table, 844 items, new machinery and more.)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you know that 4023 was completely shopped (rebuilt) before being parked in Omaha?

I've seen figures that show it'll take approximately 50,000 man-hours to restore 4014...Those boys in Cheyenne are running out of time to have it done by 2019. There's only 4 people working on it and at the normal 40 hour week x 50 weeks = 2,000 hours x 4 employees = 8,000 hours per year x 4 years is 32,000 man hours... :huh:

I had heard that about the 4023 and I think it was shopped before being stored in Cheyenne intentionally with the intent on it maybe being run later.  There's at least three photos I've seen of the two parked together in the roundhouse with one dated August 1974.  The fact they remained in storage so long tells me there was thought of some future for them.  I spoke to a  UP employee that lived in Omaha that had some knowledge about the latest 4023 move to its current location and apparently Steve Lee pleaded with UP to let him take the 4023 back for restoration but apparently management refused.  It's unfortunate 4023 wasn't kept in storage till now as restoring to bring it back would likely be far simpler like the 611 restoration.

post-16-0-56289500-1427551763_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-29557800-1427551764.jpg

post-16-0-68166000-1427551764_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Ray Link not working for me I get this :

YOU'VE BEEN STOPPED BY A 404!

{C}

404 Error: page not found

We're sorry. It appears the page or resource you are looking for either no longer
exists or has been been moved to a different location. Please go to our homepage or use
the search box below

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

• 1 month later...

UP Steam Update Nov 2015:

That's really cool. Cutting off staybolts with a torch is one of the few steam locomotive restoration tasks I've done. It's not that hard, but you have to be careful not to damage the firebox sheet. UP's tool sure makes it look a lot easier with more consistent results! And their lathe work making new staybolts is great to see too.

But I have to wonder why it is necessary for replace ALL the staybolts on 844? Or even 4014 for that matter. I don't believe that's something that's normally necessary.

They have done a super nice job on the equipment refurbishment and everything.  This firebox rework this time around is getting a very thorough going through that is for sure.  

When you say replace all the staybolts, do you mean staybolts or staybolt caps and sleeves?  I assume you mean caps and sleeves.  I understand most of the ones on the 844 were original from the steam era so they date back to 1940 or beyond and my guess is just from looking at the photos of the old ones and how bad they looked the decision was made to just replace them all and start new.  Personally I like that level of detail and thoroughness when it comes to this sort of stuff.  One thing is it really shows UP's commitment to the steam program for the long term.  I'll have to see if I can find some photos of the old ones removed.

Regarding staybolts themselves I'm not sure how many of those are being replaced.  

If any are like what was found on the 3985 there is likely good reason to replace them:

Staybolt from 3985: (and this is only just one)

post-16-0-24226100-1447472887_thumb.jpg

Some of the caps actually had posts cut and welded into them which is not supposed to be that way so those for sure had to be replaced:

post-16-0-37193900-1447473028_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-14846800-1447473029_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...