Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 - Restoration & Excursions (& 844 updates)

I really appreciate the attention to detail in the work and the information that is being shared.  I've never seen this kind of information share before.  The UP has clearly made a decision to properly fund the program and this kind of restoration work to even go on.  The fact that they are completely rebuilding even all the lathing machines etc shows they are in this for the long haul and for running this right.  Exciting thing is once the 844 is done they will be able to focus their time and attention on the 4014 and that will be fun process to follow :)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two excellent progress report videos that go over the work that has been done to the 844.  There are more disciplines involved in making all this happen than I realized.  Have to give a lot of credit to anyone attempting to repair, restore and maintain these machines both back during the age of steam and today.  Very impressed and looking forward to seeing 844 back on the rails and having the progress reports then become about the 4014. :)

Targeting this year for 844 to be done and trying to target 2019 for 4014.

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

We are getting close now on the 844, it is scheduled to return to service July 23, 2016 for the Denver Post Cheyenne Frontier Days train trip.

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/844-returns-05-11-2016.htm 

Locomotive No. 844 Scheduled for Frontier Days Debut

img_instrk_844_may2016.jpg

The Union Pacific Steam Team currently is reassembling locomotive No. 844.

After a 2-year absence, the Living Legend No. 844 returns to service July 23 for the 2016 Denver Post Cheyenne Frontier Days train trip.

For the past three years, we've used E-9 locomotives to pull the Denver Special, said Ed Dickens, manager of heritage operations, referring to UP's Streamliner diesel-electrics. The E-9 locomotives are a crowd pleaser, but I think we can all agree that there's nothing quite like a steam locomotive.

The steam team currently is wrapping up reassembly of No. 844 after extensive restoration work. The required inspections are scheduled, and the team has its eyes set on break-in runs that lie ahead in the near future.

Once we have all the regulatory documentation in place that allows us to run again, we'll take her on a shake-down run, Dickens said. We know we have to do a bit of work on the running gear, so that will be our opportunity to confirm that all those new parts fit and work the way they're supposed to.

Since the last steam update, the steam team has reassembled nearly all the locomotive's piping. We still have some additional piping left to reassemble. We'll put that back on after the test, coordinated with the Federal Railroad Administration, is complete, Dickens said. 

The cab will then be reassembled along with the exterior jacketing “ the painted part on the outside of the locomotive. Once we're there, it'll go quick, but until then we've got our work cut out for us, Dickens said. This is the final push. We all understand how important it is.

Be among the lucky few who will ride in the passenger train accompanying locomotive No. 844 for her debut trip July 23. Reservation requests are being accepted at www.cfdtrain.com through 7 p.m. MT Wednesday, May 18. Winners will be randomly selected using a lottery system.

• 4 weeks later...

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/06/17-up-844

UP No. 844 moved under her own power Thursday

June 17, 2016
RELATED TOPICS: WEST | UNION PACIFIC | STEAM/PRESERVATION | RAILFANING
Union Pacific 4-8-4 Northern-type No. 844 pictured at LaSalle, Colo., in 2009. Sources in Cheyenne, Wyo., say the giant locomotive had a steam test this week in preparation for a July return to mainline operation.
Bruce A. Daugherty
CHEYENNE, Wyo. — Working toward returning their much loved 4-8-4 to the high iron, the Union Pacific steam crew test fired No. 844 Thursday after a lengthy rebuild, sources in Wyoming tell Trains News Wire.

No. 844 built up steam pressure and moved back and forth just outside the shop, blowing out dirt and scale from the cylinder cocks. Ahead is additional work, installation of the jacketing and lagging, and a test run in advance of the July 23 Denver Post Frontier Days Special between Denver and Cheyenne.

No. 844, the last new steam locomotive built for the UP in 1944 and categorized as “never retired” since 1962, has been out of service since 2013. After working to fix a problem with over-rolled tubes, the crew decided to complete a 1,472-day inspection on the locomotive. After opening up the engine, additional work was necessary, and in between all of this, UP acquired Big Boy No. 4014 and gave the Cheyenne shop a makeover.

Trains will cover No. 844’s return to service in a special issue, "Big Steam is Back," as well as 10 other large locomotives running this year.

This is really great news! I was starting to wonder if they'd ever finish the rebuild. Hopefully they'll take it on a west coast tour again next year. I can't believe it's been almost four years (fall 2012) since it was here. Amazingly, my older son still remembers it when he was just 2-1/2 years old. And my younger son was just born, I think the week it was here in 2012, so it will be a great family trip to go train chasing big steam.

And there she is!

http://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/steam_update_june2016

Share This

With Testing Under Way, No. 844 Prepares for Frontier Days Debut

Locomotive No. 844 prepared for Cheyenne Frontier Days

Locomotive No. 844 undergoes a steam test in preparation for the Cheyenne Frontier Days Denver Post Special, which runs from Denver to Cheyenne.

UP’s Living Legend No. 844 continues to pass its exams as it readies for its big return to service at Cheyenne Frontier Days July 23. No. 844’s engine was successfully test fired June 16, and a full steam test was completed on June 17.

Ed Dickens, Union Pacific’s senior manager – Heritage Operations, said the locomotive reassembly is nearing completion. “We’ve gone from a boiler to an operating locomotive in a matter of weeks.”

With a successful hydrostatic inspection of No. 844 under their belt, the team confirmed the unit’s pressure vessel is sound. “There were no issues with the hydrostatic inspection,” Dickens said. “The inspectors present were very pleased with the professionalism and craftsmanship exhibited by the staff. It was a nice end to that part of the work.”

The team has moved on to testing No. 844 with steam. When the locomotive reached full pressure, Jimmy Thompson, boiler maker, was the first person to blow the whistle. “The whistle came to life,” Dickens said. “And at that moment the City of Cheyenne could hear – No. 844 is back.”

No. 844 Prepares for Frontier Days Debut

The Union Pacific Steam Team tests locomotive No. 844 outside the Steam Shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

The steam test allowed the team to further evaluate the boiler, including all the newly fabricated piping. No. 844 completed all tasks with flying colors.

“I just can’t say enough about the workmanship of this crew and their determination,” Dickens said, adding that No. 844 is ready to impress fans old and new. “It’s a work of art. I get goose bumps – it’s really neat. When you see it, you’ll know what I mean.”

When the crew returns from the Cheyenne Frontier Days Denver Post Special, which runs from Denver to Cheyenne, they will immediately begin work rebuilding the Big Boy, locomotive No. 4014.

“We’ve already got our plans afoot,” Dickens said. “We’re chomping at the bit to get to work on No. 4014. All the neat tools and cool stuff we’ve built will apply to the 4014 project, so you’re going to see huge progress on that Big Boy.”

• 3 weeks later...

The 844 looks incredible!  I also like the look of the engine with just the headlight on the front.

As clean as the jacketing looks it almost looks like it has been replaced with new.  Now imagine a Big Boy fully restored to this level of condition, coming soon!  Going to very much enjoy following the 4014 restoration process and progress.

Detailed Steam Schedule has been released:

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/steam/details.shtml

DETAILED STEAM SCHEDULE

Note: All schedule times and locations are subject to change.

2016 CHEYENNE FRONTIER DAYS SPECIAL

THURSDAY, JULY 21
Depart 9:30 a.m. MT Cheyenne, Wyo.
Arrival
Depart
10:45 a.m. MT
11:00 a.m. MT
Greeley, Colo.
902 7th Ave
Arrival
Depart
12:15 p.m. MT