Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 - Restoration & Excursions (& 844 updates)

Apparently this looks like the real deal...

http://www.trainorde...php?10,2935508

Additional info on facebook:
https://www.facebook...755?ref=stream

Posts on FB that hint to a possible Big Boy restoration that confirms what others are discussing on other forums:

Post a day ago - "We have some interesting and very large news to share soon. Be patient please and trust us when we say, you'll be VERY surprised when you hear it."

Next post - "The cab of what our surprise might be." (posted a pic of the cab of 4014)

Comment posted:

• Margaret Monroe Not a rumor, Trains Magazine Newswire said today (Fri., Dec. 7, 2012) that: "Company spokesman Mark Davis told Trains NewsWire Friday that the company has been approached by and is working with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy. He said the railroad is evaluating the condition of preserved UP Big Boy locomotives and that it believes two might be available for restoration. Davis declined to name the other party or give a timeline for the project."

Raymond

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a Big Boy in Green Bay a number of years ago. One thing I had never thought of was that apparently it was VERY hot inside the cab when they were underway. I heard temperatures in the summer inside the cab that I just couldn't imagine surviving in!! I guess that might be one reason they never built a BIGGER engine!

Ed

I've heard the same thing about summer time operation for steam in general but sounds like that in winter it actually was still pretty cold! I keep seeing more and more news about all this lending more confirmation that discussions are underway.

I have my fingers crossed but I have a hard time believing that anyone in current possession of one would want to be responsible for keeping their(or a) Big Boy from being restored to operational status.

Raymond

• 1 month later...

I have seen the BigBoys a friend of mine has, they are MTH with Proto Sound. It has been a while since I have seen them. If they could get one of the REAL BigBoys running again, I can only imagine what it will sound like comming down the tracks. The ones my friend runs, make a lot of "noise" ( more like Thunder ) when they are running, so, The reaal thing should make the earth shake!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Article I had not read before. Sounds like it would be in concert with the 150th anniversary of the transcontinenal RR completion. My guess is they will make this happen.

http://trn.trains.com/Railroad%20News/News%20Wire/2012/12/Union%20Pacific%20looking%20to%20restore%20Big%20Boy%20for%20excursion%20service.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Latest info:

Big Boy discussions continue in Southern California

Published:
February 25, 2013

POMONA, Calif. - Discussions between Union Pacific and
the Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical
Society concerning UP Big Boy steam locomotive No. 4014 are continuing in
California. Union Pacific has said it has been approached by and is working
with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy. The company
would like to reacquire No. 4014 for possible restoration and return to service
in time for the 150th anniversary of the driving of the Golden Spike in 2019.

Sources close to the matter indicate that Ed Dickens, who heads Union Pacific's
steam program, was back in Southern California recently to confer with some,
but not all, of the board members of the chapter regarding the restoration of
the locomotive. The sources indicate that discussions are continuing and moving
forward.

No. 4014 was donated to the Southern California Chapter Railway &
Locomotive in Pomona in 1962 after operating 1,031,205 miles in revenue
service. The chapter maintains an extensive railroad exhibit at the Los Angeles
County Fairplex that includes UP 4-12-2 No. 9000, the only survivor of its
type; Santa Fe 4-6-4 No. 3450; and Southern Pacific 4-10-2 No. 5021, also the
only survivor of its type. The display includes several smaller steam
locomotives, UP DD40X "Centennial" diesel No. 6915, rolling stock,
and the Santa Fe depot from nearby Arcadia.

It has been reported that some chapter members are in favor of having the
locomotive back under steam again, which means returning it to Union Pacific.
Others are adamant that the removal of the Big Boy would weaken the position of
the chapter as a viable museum and will negatively impact attendance to the museum.

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering what's going on with this. Initially I heard they wanted to move it in February or March, but it sounds like they aren't that far along yet. I'm hoping to go see it if/when they move it, but Pomona is a day's drive away, and with work and family I'll need time to plan for that!

• 4 months later...

Almost can't believe I'm posting this but folks it looks like it's official!  The UP has officially acquired Big Boy #4014!

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

Union Pacific Railroad Acquires Big Boy Locomotive No. 4014

Railroad Plans to Restore One of the Largest Steam Locomotives Ever Built

RESOURCES

historical_4014_big_boy_web.jpg

Omaha, Neb., July 23, 2013 â€“ Union Pacific Railroad today announced it reached an agreement with the Southern California Chapter - Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in Pomona, Calif., to transfer ownership of one of the world's largest steam locomotives, Big Boy No. 4014, back to Union Pacific.

Union Pacific plans to relocate No. 4014 to Cheyenne, Wyo., where Union Pacific's Heritage Fleet Operations team will work to restore it to operating condition. Details regarding those efforts will be made public at a later date.

Union Pacific donated No. 4014 to the historical society December 7, 1961. The locomotive arrived January 8, 1962, at its current display location at the Rail Giants Train Museum in Pomona.

No other railroad has retained its historical equipment or honored its American roots like Union Pacific.

"Our steam locomotive program is a source of great pride to Union Pacific employees past and present," said Ed Dickens, senior manager - Union Pacific Heritage Operations. "We are very excited about the opportunity to bring history to life by restoring No. 4014."

About Union Pacific

Union Pacific Railroad is the principal operating company of Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE: UNP). One of America's most recognized companies, Union Pacific Railroad links 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country by rail, providing a critical link in the global supply chain. From 2007-2012, Union Pacific invested $18 billion in its network and operations to support America's transportation infrastructure, including a record $3.7 billion in 2012. The railroad's diversified business mix includes Agricultural Products, Automotive, Chemicals, Coal, Industrial Products and Intermodal. Union Pacific serves many of the fastest-growing U.S. population centers, operates from all major West Coast and Gulf Coast ports to eastern gateways, connects with Canada's rail systems and is the only railroad serving all six major Mexico gateways. Union Pacific provides value to its roughly 10,000 customers by delivering products in a safe, reliable, fuel-efficient and environmentally responsible manner.

Union Pacific media contacts:
Aaron Hunt, 916-789-6019, amhunt@up.com @aaronmhunt
Mark Davis, 402-544-5459 or mwdavis@up.com.

Well, it's a done deal. UP got the big Boy 4014. Will move it to a UP yard in Oct, work on the bearings, then move it to Cheyenne in Dec/Jan to rebuild it. Hope it does not affect the ongoing rebuild of the Challenger. I guess Accucraft's model of 4014 has increased in price!

• 5 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an overhead photo of the move path:

post-16-0-14255000-1386868105_thumb.jpg

Also an overhead view that you can scroll of the area to see the start and end destination.  Going to be interesting to see how they chose to get the engine on the nearby track.  Will they construct a temp turn-out or can they lift/merge the engine without doing that...

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/up_4014.html

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...