Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 - Restoration & Excursions (& 844 updates)

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this on the UP Steam Page:

After more travel preparations are made over the next several months, No. 4014 will complete the journey home to Cheyenne later in the spring, where the restoration process will begin. For the return to Cheyenne, No. 4014 will be pushed and pulled by modern diesel electric UP freight locomotives.

I'm still anxious to hear the date of the next move. I'm considering driving down and chasing it over Cajon Pass (along with a million other railfans, I'm sure. :S). I just have a lot going on over the next few months though as I'm prepping for the West Coast Regional Meet in Sacramento in June, as well as some other short trips planned, so it will depend on the actual date of the Big Boy move.

How far are you away from Cajon?

California is a big state... it's probably 7 or 8 hours. My thought is that I'll spend a night in San Bernardino, chase the 4014 for a day, and drive home late the same night.

• 1 month later...

I'm still anxious to hear the date of the next move. I'm considering driving down and chasing it over Cajon Pass (along with a million other railfans, I'm sure. :S). I just have a lot going on over the next few months though as I'm prepping for the West Coast Regional Meet in Sacramento in June, as well as some other short trips planned, so it will depend on the actual date of the Big Boy move.

The schedule for the move is posted on the UP web site.

Over Cajon Pass on April 28th and arrival in Cheyenne on May 8th. Just follow the crowd of cars loaded with people with cameras and lenses. 4014 will be somewhere in the middle of the pile.  :D

On a YouTube video of the move to Bloomington, I noticed a couple of Union Pacific Police cars.

UP has their own police department?

Best regards

Jens