Union Pacific Big Boy #4014 - Restoration & Excursions (& 844 updates)

Next update from the UP Steam Shop. :)  

Wow, they are installing drop tables in addition to all the overhead cranes etc.  I wonder what size the cranes will be and how they plan to raise them up in place?  (Must have been a bit more complicated to handle certain repairs without cranes.)  This probably partly explains why the UP was hesitant in the past to commit to restoring a Big Boy, understanding going in the kinds of things required.  Regarding operational steam, the question to me is will they focus on the 4014 first then get the other two back running or will they attempt to work on more than one at once.  I'm betting once they get these major cash outlays and renovation is done they will get both the 844 and 3985 back up and running as the publicity of all three steamers together will make their program really stand out.  I say this in part because I'm pretty sure they likely given a certain specified yearly budget (not a blank check) and are having to make decisions on what to work on when.)  Any idea how many full time UP employees they have dedicated to the steam shops?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo posted of the 4014 cab on 5/17/14:

Caption:  UP's shops in Cheyenne were open to the public May 17/18 and I was lucky enough to get up real close to 4014. No-one was allowed on the locomotive but it was possible to get a shot of the cab interior, and here it is.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=482954&nseq=13 

8911.1401104103.jpg

Me either Jens, I still almost can't believe this is happening.  Magnificent probably won't begin to describe what this will be like to experience.  I have a feeling I'm going to get to meet a lot of people I've never met in person on it's inaugural run  ;)

I'm sort of waiting to see what's going to happen. If the inaugural run goes to CA, then I'll probably pass. I'm hoping that 4014 will run in 2019 at the 150th anniversary of the transcon RR. I'd love to go by then. I have a road trip of sorts in the making, but it's mostly Colorado. And you know, looking at Google Maps, you go ooh and aah and as long as we're there, we could ... and in no time you're looking at 3000 miles.

I would love to revisit the Cumbers & Toltec and I'd also like to right one of my life's bigger mistakes: I was once on a business trip to Phoenix, and I had the weekend off with a rented car, all paid by work.

... And I didn't go to Grand Canyon.

Anyway, 4014 is the key. Let's see what happens.

Jens

I think the real intention and idea was to have the engine restored for the 150th anniversary.  I see the 4014 making it's first steam up in Cheyenne and going to either location under it's own power.  I will either ride or chase for some certain period of time (will depend on the path and the amount of time the road parallels the track path, so either way I plan to be there for the first trip.  If you head out this way let me know and we will make sure to meet up.

My major waypoints right now - in no particular order - are:

- Cheyenne

- Ogden

- Echo Canyon

- Promontory Summit

- Denver

- Greeley

- Moffat Tunnel

- Royal Gorge

- Raton Pass

- Cumbres & Toltec

- Durango & Silverton

- Monument Valley

- Grand Canyon

- Barringer Crater

- Hoover Dam

- Cajon Pass

- Tehachapi/Caliente

Oh hey ... we're in California now!

Well:

- Feather River Canyon / Keddie Wye

Yes yes yes, I know the miles stack up, but you know - as long as we're there ...  :rolleyes:  :D

Jens

Steam shop update from 3/10/15 from the annual Rocky Mountain Toy Train Show of TCA.

Updated: (3/23/15) added Parts 2-4.  This is a great overview.  Goes over everything required to move the engine, updates on other engines and work being done, background on facility updates (reasons for removing drop ceiling etc).  Part 4 gives insight into even the work even refurbishing the lathes they have used for years etc. There is lots and lots of work going on at the UP steam shops!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4: