Rotary Snow Plow

Sean, the brass I ordered was delivered Wednesday and I am expecting the impellers today.  I had an idea how to set it up so like yours it will blow snow in both directions while still having the, what ever those flapper looking things are as stage one while the impeller will be stage two.    

I tried to write what my thoughts were, but when I read it, sounded like just babble.

On the way to a job, but when I get back I will try to draw my thoughts and take a pic of them.          

Nick

When you write/draw what your thinking..It might look diff. than in your mind, and you might see were you have a problem.It also helps you to remember how you want to do it. Last but not the least...It gives us something to see ..so we can pick it apart.. ;)

Looking foward to see how you do, and what you learn ..like how to post pics! :D

post-9-0-63253400-1427487121.jpgpost-9-0-19902700-1427487110.jpgpost-9-0-63253400-1427487121.jpgSean,  stopped at Home Depot and picked up the pipe reducer like you are using.  Before I go any further I need to turn the impeller to fit inside the 4" pipe fitting.     

Turning down the impellers came out great.   I just need to clean them up and make sure they are balanced. I did both of the ones I got just incase down the road I do break one.  I also made one a little looser fit just in case.   I then shortened the plumbing fitting down to size I want so I can add the other stuff,  having fun.  PICs attached so they can be picked apart, and I'd really appreciate HONEST appraisals of what I have so far.

WOW, how different the pics look, sorry if they are so big.        LG    

Which part are you inquiring about?   the impeller or the reducer pipe?  Sorry Jerry, after another careful look at what you asked I believe you are asking about the impellers.    I used a Work Sharp and a battery operated drill, both turning it opposing directions.  The hardest part was chucking the impellers to be perfectly centered so as not to wobble and stay true.   LG          

Sean,  sorry to say, I haven't thought that far ahead.  I'm not a big diesel guy so that is probably not one of my options, most of mine are steam locos, wether electric or live steam.  

Quickly, I think I'll use a box car and make it similar to the USAT rotary,  I THINK.      I've made no progress since painting the impellers and the plumbing reducer.  I just received a new LS 3 cylinder Shay, see the Live Steam Page here, so between that and the desk work that just keeps falling behind, I need to 'get squared away', and damn quick.     LG

Sean, frankly I like the design you are using better.   Your hopper looks more complete and it is also able to throw snow in both directions, JMHO.

I did have another thought as to what I may house it in,  I think I have an old over sized Bachmann caboose somewhere.