New LS 3 cylinder Shay

Screwy Nick

Optical Illusion, and yes it is the front of the Shay.   The end of the poker closest to the smoke box is actually 6" back from the smoke box door.  If the flame were to get into the smoke box it would discolor immediately.  You can see I've had an over fire when lighting once or twice prior to the radiant burner.   The modified burner is much easier to light and actually the discharge up the stack is cooler than the conventional poker burner, and the vapors are much easier to see.  Most of the heat is absorbed right around the glowing NiCr cage.       Hope this helps.       LG

Jens, I certainly hope it does,  and to whom I leave it to as well.  

The Shay is a very unconventional looking locomotive, but extremely successful in it's application.  

To be honest I am still amazed that the fire in the boiler can get so hot and produce so much steam that it can not only move itself, but a string of trailing cars as well, and I don't just mean the Shay,   I guess that may be the attraction, for me.   LG