Stretched MTH passenger trucks

Never had much luck with those tools, but you might be on the right track. I'd probably go to the local sign shp and get some vinyl in that color and cut some strips, or have them cut them.  I think you are probably right on using your own car molds to cast your own rather than modify, but might factor in you are more used to them and this was new, so next time might go easier?  Probably cheaper to use your own molds though. Quandry for sure! You wore me out reading abut all the work you were doing. ;)

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will know if the striping tool will work in a few minutes.  I will definitely find out if the sectioned car is straight or not, that might cause some problems.  I am convinced that starting from scratch from my molds is probably twice as easy as redoing the MTH ones.  I wore you out?,  I am almost done.  I found out that the blue paint match is real close after color sanding with 800 and getting rid of the ridge of the paint.  Also the blue that MTH uses is a satin, so my gloss didn't look right, but after color sanding and then using rubbing compound brings the color to almost match. Bob.

Thank you steam power, my contraption on the mill worked after getting used to the setup, had to do one side over, but it is good now.  Will never do a kit bash again, whew what a lot of work.  From now on I will just use my own molds.  For one thing, I won't have to match paints, make parts, stretch the roof, grind the welds on the roof.  All I have to do now is fit the interior, lights, move one truck, paint the roof and a few other things, and it is done.  Thanks again for your welcomed encouragement.  Bob.  I will attempt to put a youtube video here.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRFNopKcBuQ

Now for the really big deal, windows.  I am going to try to make some aluminum frames, with luck I can make them look good. The silver frame in one of the pictures is paint, and I don't like it, so that's why I am going to try aluminum frames.  Here are some pics. of the almost done car. Bob.

post-547-0-41720300-1434321853.jpg

post-547-0-59188500-1434321879.jpg

post-547-0-04695500-1434321907.jpg

post-547-0-36123500-1434321926.jpg

post-547-0-14342500-1434321951.jpg

post-547-0-52706200-1434321966.jpg

Thanks, but if this machining doesn't work out, I will certainly entertain that idea, sounds like a good one.  I hadn't thought of that.  I just bought 50 bucks worth of aluminum and several cutting tools, so I hope it works out. Bob.

Wow! Looking great!

Several years ago there was a multi-issue article in GR about stretching the MTH passenger cars. For window frames and gaskets that guy used some different brands of Devcon tape...he also had access to a laser cutter :(  

What a coincidence. I have two issues of Garden Railways and one of them, June 2007, contains an article “Converting MTH Coaches to Full-length cars: Part 1†by Jack Verducci on page 91.  I hope this helps.
Blid

I wondered what happened to you Rayman4449, how have you been doing? Thanks for your compliment, I added two more pictures with the window frames after I polished the frame and what a difference. Well I am all tooled up to make the rest of the frames. Blid, thank you, I was beginning to think that was a wives tale, imagine someone else as twisted as I am for attempting such a project. It is turning out OK though, and I think it will look OK when I get the windows in. Thanks for identifying the issue with the MTH stretch, I will try to find it some where, thanks again, Bob.

Thanks SteamPower4ever, I just ordered them. I want to see how Jack Verducci did it., How do you like my window frames? I made my frame holder out of wood and while the frame came out OK, tomorrow I am making a more substantial holder because I was getting too much chattering out of the cutter. The wood seems to want to vibrate and resonate. This time I'm making the holder out of aluminum, I'm sure I can get rid of the chatter. Bob.

I think I have found the perfect material for blinds.  I bought a roll of white aluminum flashing for roofs.  I can cut it on a paper cutter.  I am working on a jig for positioning while gluing.  I think I will have three positions, all the way down see through, 1/3 down folded, and all the way down shut.  If this works out, I think it will look nice, lot better than printed on a piece of paper.  Bob.