Stretched MTH passenger trucks

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH sure, I have already made molds for 39 double seats. Do you have any tables and chairs, like for a diner. Any cups and saucers and dishes? Can't find any, will probably have to make my own. Bob. What do your seats look like?

Your seats look nicer, no tables/etc.  Didn't know they came with them.  One guy I know, for his diner, he got some pictures of meals , printed them off and put them on the tables, from outside they looked fine.

The seats are the single seats that come with the MTH passenger coaches that I glued together and made molds. The idea of the pictures of the plates etc. is a good one, didn't think of that. I bought some of the kind of clay that you put in the oven to harden, thought I would try my hand of making some 1:32 plates and stuff, but a 12 inch plate would be only 3/8 inch in diameter. I like the picture idea better. Here are some of the blinds installed. I painted one a tan, does it look better than the bright white? I think it looks more like the nicotine stained blinds of the 40's since you could smoke anywhere then. Bob.

post-547-0-89485400-1437334697.jpg

post-547-0-03422300-1437334711.jpg

post-547-0-61032900-1437334733.jpg

post-547-0-58928200-1437334744.jpg

I'm glad you said that, I agree with you.  I think you are right, the white not only looks like a beginning project, it is too white, thanks again Jerry, nice to see someone around here that has, like myself, an opinion. Bob.

Then it is unanimous, it's tan. The white is just too white, looks fake. It's  funny to watch me assemble these blinds, as I am only batting about 700.  One time I will touch one of the slats and they all fly out of the jig,  and then once in a while I will drop one of the slats with glue on it and it will glue everything to the jig, so I have to stop and rip the plastic parts off of the jig, repair the jig, and start all over.  It certainly tests how shaky one is, and I found that out, of course I am 70, so I could have probably done a better job a few years back. I am about half done with the blinds. And this is funny.  The quote "1:32" scale people I bought are all 6ft. 6", so I think I will have to cut some of their legs out, I guess the Chinese think that we are all over six and a half ft. tall. Bob.

Yep, why do you think I am using blinds. My painting of people is not that good, to say nothing of my fashion sense. I am wrapping up the blinds, painting and mounting them, almost there. Bob.

An update for the movable diaphragm, as it turns out the interior  spring mechanism to damper the diaphragm movement is not necessary.  The carbon fiber spring in concert with the lift rods is sufficient  for the actuation. Here is a   pic.  Installing the blinds today and tomorrow and then the passengers, poor revenue day, not many passengers on board. Bob.

post-547-0-46230800-1437926095.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bob, I didn't order the release agent. I used to cast a slurry and use murphy's oil soap in the molds. What do you use for a release? Wax? petroleum based? silicone?

I need to make 2 part molds to get the pilots out. I'm casting new pilots (& stairs) for the Dash 8s to fill in the holes and provide mounts for KD 907 couplers. It maybe tuff to get them right on the first try. I'll have to make up some quick mold boxes too.