MTH 2015 One Gauge Catalog

Rayman4449

I bet they'd just like to sell out what's been produced. The way they are disappearing, I would think they will all sell out.

I got my Dash 8 direct preorder, before dealers started listing them for sale. I had thought that was the only way to get them back then. The other one, the dealer dropped the order like I told you. I sent MTH an email.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, Did that happen to be SideTrack Hobbies who dropped your order? Reason I ask is I see they've recently moved into a smaller store and have dropped the One-Gauge category from their website. It's a shame as used to be able to grab some great deals from them folks :(  

I wonder how many people will order 2 Big boys to get both numbers!   That's cool, though.  Glad they released a new catalog, even if it is simply repaints of the existing models. (and some that are being delivered). 

I still like that Amtrak Dash 8.

In order to run MTH trains with the smartphone app, I'll need a TIU and the wireless interface, correct? Nothing else? 

I know a number of people who have been chomping at the bit for a Big Boy re-release so I know at least some who will be really happy.

Regarding next catalogs it's hard to say.  I see the main purpose of this catalog as being to announce the Big Boy (with it's updates & enhancements) and get the pre-order process started as the catalog re-lists what is in-stock & remaining for Diesels and Rolling Stock from the last catalog.  Because of this I suspect we will see a 2016 (MTH skipped a year in released catalogs between 2013 & 2015). 

On the smartphone app, yes that's it nothing else.  Will need a TIU and a WIU (WiFi Interface Unit).   Details are so far that you will have two ways to connect the WIU, 1) will be to connect your phones & tablets to the WIU directly to a Wifi network the WIU sets up or 2)  connect WIU to existing router/network and use your existing router.  

• 2 weeks later...

I do understand the disappointment and had certainly hoped for more myself.  

On the other smaller engine, what was shared before is that there were rumors of a new steam locomotive (that was said to be 'smaller') that was in the works.  Outside of the initial rumors I never heard anything else. 

As far as the 611, will have to see what happens.  Their Allegheny (2-6-6-6) was announced 4.5years ago and it’s still not here.  Hopefully it won’t take 5 years for the 611.  It’s taken so long that my friend lost his deposit on two he preordered through St Aubins (which went out of business).  The fact that the 2-6-6-6 is $6500-6900 may have something to do with it too.  Looks like the 611 is going to run $5250 for the electric version and am guessing that is with no sound, control or smoke.  Will be a great model I know, just way more than I care to spend.  

It is a little scary to me to preorder stuff from AML. It seems like projects don't get made. I know they can make them. They have some great stuff. I just can't bring myself to preorder from them. They came to the ECLSTS and seemed like they didn't wish to discuss their new releases. I can only guess that they are having troubles overseas? I welcome their products and like their innovative features. I love the coalporters!!

So where's the highcubes and SD60s??

I can't invest in their Allegheny at that price point with out an accurate delivery date or even a decent guess. It looks stunning though. I'd be tempted to sell stuff off just to get one. They are helping G scale with what makes it to market.

They must not have had enough pre-orders yet for the 2-6-6-6 to be able to start a production run.  You can be sure if enough people were there putting money up for them these engines would be made within a reasonable time.  They like all of the manufacturers only have so much $ avail to invest in producing product and at some point you end up with a good chunk of your available capital tied up in inventory or committed to other production runs.  My Accucraft Daylight GS-4 was $3000 and with the 611 being a comparable model that is a pretty significant price increase for sure.  I'm sure this is based on far fewer production quantities compared to the GS-4 which will drive the per unit cost way up.  This market isn't that big and at $5-7k a pop the number of buyers shrinks just that much more.  

It's true the price increase is there too,. It seems that nowadays manufacturers announce a futur (possible) product and wait to see how many people order; and then if there are enough orders they manufacture just the quantity ordered, meaning small quantities which in turn make the price skyrocket and we are stuck with ever more expensive locos. And so they will keep selling less and less. And of course the price will be more and more! Where are the great founders of this wonderfull scale and gauge, now?  When Aster started with the schools class they made 3000 of them and they sold well and were cheap, when they came out with the PLM pacific (a landmark for us Frenchies) they made 600 of them and the price was right, ever since they reduced the quantities and the price kept getting higher and higher... It seems the same thing happened with Accucraft, when they made the Daylight they must have made quite a lot as they are reasonably priced and can still be found quite easily. But their new models are now getting ever more expensive as the runs are more and more limited...

But for this to happen with MTH which is supposed to be an industry,  is something else, and I dont think that I am willing to go for that. Mind you Maerklin seems to be going the same path with their new editions of the P8 at over 2000€ when they made a perfectly good model at less than 400€ since thirty years... it looks like cupidity is going to kill a good thing, it's time the ma 

Agreed. And the lack of availability of products drives away consumers from the hobby altogether. Produce something new which people are excited about (like N&W 611) for a great price and I'll bet you'd see new people join the G-gauge world just for that. I know someone who is an O-scaler (with an extremely extensive collection and museum-quality layout!) who recently bought two of the new Accucraft San Francisco Cable Cars. I guess it was something that wasn't made in O-scale, at least not as highly detailed. Now he's interested in more large scale! But he's quickly learning that it's hard to actually buy what you want, even what has been made in the past!

I'm disappointing by the new catalog and I wasn't even looking for anything new... I'd be happy with new production of the GS-4 and Challenger with PS3. But I already have a USA Trains Big Boy, so another Big Boy is going to be a tough sell for me when there are so many other things I want. Still, I think it will sell well, and hopefully encourage MTH to produce more big steam.

But their new models are now getting ever more expensive as the runs are more and more limited...

But for this to happen with MTH which is supposed to be an industry,  is something else, and I dont think that I am willing to go for that. 

But you're not seeing that with MTH and the price increases you are seeing aren't as much of a shock because of the already significantly lower price point.  The Big Boys for instance had an original street price of $1050 and will now be around $1329 that's a 26% increase or $279.00 (and the new Big Boy has upgraded features)  The 611 represents a 75% increase or $2250.   So percentage says part of the story but the dollar amount is the real context... the avg person is going to be more able to absorb $279 vs $2250.  In the 2013 catalog they canceled the VO1000 because they didn't see the demand instead of raising the price 50-100%.  

As far as availability and variety things have and always will be slow to come in this scale.  Back before MTH arrived on the scene what was available for popular mainline steam at a low price point?  USA Trains had a Hudson.  That's it and the price wasn't that low because of the high quality detail and all die cast  build.  MTH showed up in 2004 and produced the Big Boy, Challenger, GS4, GS2, Hudson and Triplex (6 steamers, all popular mainline steam + the more exotic Triplex) and the most expensive engines were the Big Boy and Triplex at $1050 and they had die cast metal frames.  Outside of them what else has been produced like this in this price range?  Nothing, by no one.  (this is ignoring the argument about more generic steam like the Aristo Mikado, Pacific, etc which were inexpensive but I'm not getting into that here)

I do totally understand the disappointment and I share it(I want MTH make more too), but I keep seeing important context getting lost in all of this.  We are at least at the 4.5 year point for the Allegheny and it still isn't here.  The new MTH Big Boy runs will be here within 2 years (as again the normal time-line from announcement to actual arrival is no more than 2 years).  So assuming a July 2017 actual delivery date of the latest Big Boys, MTH can announce a catalog in 2017 and have those 2017 items out in 2019 which means their items in a 2017 catalog would still be produced sooner than the Allegheny.  Looking back USA announced their Big Boy back in 2004 and since that time has rolled out 1 steam engine a little 0-6-0 Docsider.   That brings them to 3 steamers in their portfolio now, Big Boy at $3800, Hudson at $2100 and 0-6-0 Docsider at $470 (for me the total is only two because I only had interest in the Big Boy and Hudson and bought both)  So for me that's 2 engines of interest in 11 years.  My point is stop and take a moment to look at and think about what has actually been produced and how long it has taken to get to this point.  Do I think it's important to keep investing in new items and rolling stock, ABSOLUTELY I do.

There are reasons why Arisocraft just folded up shop and shutdown(not sold and production seamlessly continued), why St Aubins just folded, why Ridge Road Station just closed not sold, why San Val just closed, it's because the consumers stopped spending during the recession.  There was significantly more product out there for people to buy people had choices of all the MTH steamers, great looking Aristocraft diesels like the Dash-9 and SD45, Mallet, full range of USA diesels etc etc.  But people stopped spending and that really put the hurt on the mfgs.  So it wasn't the mfgs that abandoned the consumers it was the other way around.  We are starting to come out of that downturn and will just have to see how the market responds and that will for sure drive what new is introduced.  USA appears to be exploring a new steamer and is looking for feedback which is great news, so hopefully things will continue to rebound.  (fingers crossed for a UP FEF 844)

There is no doubt the chicken and the egg situation is also in full effect and I agree and believe that if MTH produced an engine like the 611 that it would sell.  Let's just hope they gain enough confidence from the Big Boy announcement to go for something new.  But the bottom line is that even if nothing new was ever produced by MTH, if out of a Big Boy, Challenger, GS2/4, Hudson and Triplex or F3, F7, PA, Dash8 you can't find something you like that you want to buy and enjoy seeing and running on your layout then there isn't going to be much else that can be made to interest you into this scale or to buy the product.  I know no one has said or implied this here but even if anyone was to say that they are aren't buying anything MTH produced for instance unless they made a 611 or other specific engine only underscores just how little that person planned to own and buy overall in the first place, which is the very root of the whole problem.  And a final note, it has been some time since the GS-2 had sold out and just a few months ago I bought a brand new one for the same price as they were originally selling for.  So even with items out of production if you really want something you can find it you just have to look.

OK Ray, then get me a BB! (if that helps). oil version? I have to look closer at what is offered.

I would have been even more pleased if they re-ran some more of their steamers. I have trouble getting any of the GS series. I'm sure that's the way MTH would like it. I'm thinking there just aren't that many out there. Just a little while back they were cheap! I lost my job right then, right when the G market took a dive (coincidence??) :D

Thank you Joe and will do.

I have confirmed 4014 will be an Oil burner (so tender will have oil bunker like the real 3985 has today) and 4012 will be Coal.

When the first engine arrive I will do a quick tear-down to look for any items I think may need modification and review those items with those that have ordered through me and confirm implementation of any modifications before shipping.

By the way for anyone wanting to place a pre-order on a Big Boy it only requires a deposit of 20% down.   

I also can accept small monthly payments for those wanting to try and get some or all of it paid up ahead of time.  In those cases will provide updated balance emails for each payment.

I put a down payment on one.  Ray has a setup on email, as you send payment he keeps track of it and sends an email back. So makes buying an expensive(to me) engine a lot easier.  Sorta like car payments, but are BB payments.

Ray,

I'll take a 4014 also.  Just let me know a couple of months ahead so I can set aside the money.  This order is only valid if I'm still alive then! ;)

I preordered a 4014 BB from Ray and made a similar comment, wondering about being on the planet to receive it. :-)

I guess you are right Raymond, economically it is risky at the present, But I do feel that when manufacturers offered a model that was produced in great numbers, the price was affordable and that this trend towards catering to the pre ordered is only making prices for the same product go up without any increase in quality for the customer. Its true though that MTH did a lot a few years ago before the economic crash and I adhere fully to what you say about that.

My way of limiting myself is to choose a given prototype and stick to it, This comes from model railroading for years, so unfortunatly Big boys and Chalengers as well as the GS4 are out form me. I did caress at one point the dream of kitbashing a GS4 into one of the RF&P beautifull 4-8-4 with the Hitchens tenders, but the fact that the skyline cassing of the GS4 is molded on and cannot be removed sort of made me scrap that idea, also the fact that the disk drivers weren't correct for the RF&P engines. Since I have also discovered that the polycarbonate doesn't work with solvents (and I even tried chlorophorm...), not too good for kitbashing... I also considered taking a triplex to make a couple of PRR hyppo's out of it but that too seemed a bit far fetched. I think it is better to start from scratch in brass and steel. I am an Appalachian railroad fan so that's why I won't go for a Big Boy.

What I was really hoping for from MTH was some more freight cars and newer types of cars too, not just reeditions of older releases with new paint schemes. We still don't have a gondola or a tank (1940-'58 era)  car in 1/32 scale, nor do we have a stock car, so there is still quite a lot that could be produced and that probably would sell quite well. I build a lot myself so when a product is issued that fits my need, I try to buy it instead of scratchbuilding it.

This is a fantastic hobby, very far reaching and fulfilling , so it is good that a manufacturer like MTH doesn't throw in the towel during difficult times.