70-74087 Santa Fe - Car #38527  

70-74088 Western Pacific - Car #20954  

70-74089 Western Pacific - Car #20957  

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the date MTH has currently posted, but I still say expect to see the engine in about 2 years from catalog announcement date.  That said, those getting the pre-orders in now is the right thing, this ensures you have one reserved in the production run and also gives MTH an idea of the overall demand to help make sure the right quantity is made.

That's the date MTH has currently posted, but I still say expect to see the engine in about 2 years from catalog announcement date.  That said, those getting the pre-orders in now is the right thing, this ensures you have one reserved in the production run and also gives MTH an idea of the overall demand to help make sure the right quantity is made.

I agree with this timeline.   It was almost 2 years from my pre order of an HO big boy from  MTH a few years ago

• 5 weeks later...

Heads-up on the new WiFi App and DCS 5.00 to be released this month.  The WIU (WiFi Interface Unit) which is required for the Wifi app to work will be avail mid-Nov.  If you're interested in getting one I would place a pre-order now.

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/35-dcs-control-with-a-pc-ipadandroid-pad-wireless-phone/page-2#entry5731

There is only one Dash-8 currently on pre-order, the rest are already in-stock with one being sold out already.  Again, expect delivery on the Big Boy 2 years from the catalog announcement date.

Jim if you would like to cancel the pre-order you have placed through me for the Big Boy just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an AA set of MTH PA's and only one engine has DCS board and the other is a slave. And if you have a PB unit the control is passed thru it from control engine to slave engine by means of ribbon cables. Will the Norfolk Southern - AA Set - (#4271 & 4270) - (Proto-Sound 3.0) be the same?

...................Jim

• 2 weeks later...

MTH DCS ver 5.00 and the new Loader Program v5.00 are now available:  (You will need to upgrade the TIU and Remotes to DCS 5.00 to use the new Wifi App and must use the new v5.00 Loader Program)

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/694-mth-dcs-consumer-loader-v500-current-version/

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/693-mth-dcs-remote-tiu-firmware-v500-current-version/ 

• 1 month later...

Update:

MTH is saying the following items will be arriving at MTH between now and Jan 15, 2016:

70-2112-1.jpg

Item No. 70-2112-1 Southern Pacific F-7 AA Diesel Set With Proto-Sound 3.0

70-2113-1.jpg

Item No. 70-2113-1 Southern Pacific F-7 A Unit Diesel With Proto-Sound 3.0

70-2114-3.jpg

Item No. 70-2114-3 Southern Pacific F-7 B-Unit Diesel (Non-Powered)

70-65028.jpg

Item No. 70-65028 Southern Pacific 3-Car Streamlined Passenger Car Set (Smooth)

70-67028.jpg

Item No. 70-67028 Southern Pacific Streamlined Passenger Coach (Smooth)

70-68028.jpg

Item No. 70-68028 Southern Pacific Streamlined Passenger Observation Car (Smooth)

Also to update everyone I have received the WIUs in so they are now available for those wanting one.

See the WIU thread for more info:

http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/35-mth-wifi-control-app-wiu-wifi-interface-unit/ 

Cost info:  http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH/MTH_OneGauge.htm#DCS_WiFiModule_50-1034

*Remember you will need to update your TIU to DCS ver 5.00 in order to operate the WIU. (see the WIU thread for info and links to instructions).*

FYI to everyone, I now have the new PS3 boards to upgrade existing PS2 engines.  Please visit my website and email me if interested.

I have also updated the "Protosound 3 thread" here:  http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/429-protosound-3-whats-new-with-mths-ps3-vs-ps2/ 

Also wanted to share another benefit of going to the new PS3 (this is for both factory and upgrade PS3 boards)... in the past if an engine (that was being powered by DC power) missed/didn't sense the TIU initial power up signal, it would start up with lights and sound and start up running at full track power speed (thinking it should be running under analog power).  The PS3 boards no longer do that.  If a PS3 engine misses that signal it will power up lights and sound but stay put and not actually move.  This brings the behavior of how engines operated under AC power now to DC (as this is how the PS2 engines operated under AC power).

PS3 will be a worth while upgrade for us in G scale.  

To recap the key benefits for G scale/One Gauge:

- Significantly improved signal processor on the engine board.  (If you have had signal/communication issues in the past on your layout, this should resolve it or significantly reduce any issues.  Best results, run PS3 with Rev L TIU)

- This is relevant for G scale because of the much larger size of the layouts and conditions faced outdoors.

- Improved audio amplifier for higher sound quality

- PS3 sound files:  Can now load these to your engine which have greatly enhanced sound quality.

- No more missed TIU start up signals:  Engines stay put and will not move if they miss the TIU startup signal on initial power up.  (Applies to DC power operation)

If you had engines missing the signal in the past moving to PS3 should eliminate or greatly reduce this happening.

- Eliminates the need for the polarity switch on the engine as the PS3 board is no longer polarity sensitive.  

- Eliminates the need for the on-board rechargeable battery pack (the only maintenance item you had on the engine)

- Can now run under DCS or DCC.

• 4 weeks later...

From M. Wolfe

A Message From Mike Wolf On The MTH G Scale Big Boy

"The G Scale Big Boy should be out in June 2016. We re-tooled the Tender to

make it an Oil Tender as the 4014 Big Boy that is being restored will use.

We have added a SMOKING WHISTLE as we had on the G-Gauge Triplex.

So when you blow the whistle in DCS smoke will come out of it. It has

two powerful DC Motors. Every G-Gauge Collector will need this engines

as it is the most famous MTH has ever built. It will now come

with PS-3 Sound System that now includes all the DCC Functions.

All MTH prior G-Gauge Steam Engine had PS-2, which didn't have DCC."

MTH G Scale

Be prepared for delivery to be delayed well into 2017.

This is apparently no different from European manufacturers. I talked to the guys at the club about the constant delays on my F7s, but they're waiting just as long for German models, so I guess it's par for the course.

My problem with MTH is that they post shipping dates that they must know will not hold. When I ordered my F7s in May '14 they were scheduled for June '14. Since then I've lost track of the number of delays.

Instead of posting a date, I'd prefer they did something similar to KM-1.

They post an estimate - with a progress bar that is actually being updated.

Anyway, with half the F7s out and the SP version close, mine must be close also. I'm not taking any bets on February, though.

Jens