MTH 2015 One Gauge Catalog

Rayman4449

The packaging has been completely revamped with the engine hard bolted to a wooden base and has a complete wooden frame encasing the tender and engine.  These engines shouldn't ever be getting damaged in shipping.

I will be posting pictures of the packaging later.

Some photos:   

(Note: the front truck ships wrapped separately because the front is hard bolted to the wooden shipping frame)

20170324_205434.thumb.jpg.844026dbef423efeaece204630368247.jpg

20170324_205439.thumb.jpg.747063b512489c3bbda661d471f39d4d.jpg

20170324_205455.thumb.jpg.f75b5496249ee617718c8d035f3d0309.jpg

20170324_205447.thumb.jpg.5a03104bc61611e2e3d5db4b1f99f81d.jpg

20170324_205503.thumb.jpg.126854a383ccc8d2c25f535f3c76f167.jpg

20170324_205510.thumb.jpg.cb85ab9727e32372cffa21c5374345f8.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with Ray's assessment of it should survive in shipping, I wouldn't rule it out. The main package is heavy as it's made of medite. It slides around in the outer box a bit. Mine started working the box apart slightly. So a longer journey overseas with rough handlers could put it to the test. I too think it would survive but there's always a chance.

I've seen bolts shear and stuff happen that wouldn't be normal in proper handling. I think workers tend to plop these boxes down on their ends. That can do damage if it's off just slightly, applying enough force to a corner when dropped.

My Triplex had it's bolts bent pretty good for example. They did hold though.

I think MTH is making strides against damage with their packaging and  I hope for the best. The strapping around the medite container should help to protect in severe handling cases. It would keep the bases and cover inside and keep the box square hopefully.

DSC_2051.JPG

Looks good Joe.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  Looks like no more green and yellow MTH box.  Used to be a box within a box.  Interested to see what the roller base looks like.  Still waiting on my unit to come in.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

I have a mystery to solve. I was about to email Ray about some issues. The one tender marker light doesn't work. When I inspected closer, it's not even there! So I remembered that Ray made this video. The markers are both working in the video. So it must have fallen inside the tender?

I'm also having some communication issues with my app talking to this engine. It has always worked with others? So I need to see what's up with that.

Don't forget that this is a PS3 engine so the latest revision update to the TIU would be needed.  I believe it's either 5 or 5.1.

I bet you'll find the light bulb on the inside of the tender shell.  They normally just stick the bulb through a hole in the side wall of the tender right into the marker lamp.  The end of the wire closest to the bulb should have some heatshrink tubing, most likely.

Good luck with that.  I can't wait to get mine.

Thanks Paul. I'd better double check that TIU. I do have four of them. I'm almost positive it was updated to the latest, when I did the first 2. My oldest TIU was not, as it doesn't have the USB. I just got a serial cable adapter for that one.

Yeah that light should not be a big deal.

The roller base is really just a stand. The wheels are held up and allowed to turn. So the description using "roller" is not correct. It does have power pick-up points with a set of wire to connect.

The light must have pulled out from the marker light housing.  Will need to open it up and push back through.  I will take steps on later engines I send out to ensure they dont back out of the marker lights so this doesn't happen to anyone else. 

So did the engine make it ok safe and sound?

The WIU's TIU indicator light won't even  blink or show on steady (meaning connected) if it doesn't have DCS 5.00+ (current is 5.00).  So if you are using a USB cable, plug the cable in and if the TIU indicator light on the WIU lights up, you have DCS 5.00+.

I tested the WIU via USB and Serial cable and I recall, recovery was faster in power cycles of power supply on/off etc and found I preferred USB over the serial (when you have that option of course).

The engine works for a bit Ray. Then it slowly loses contact it appears. At first I was looking at the engine. Then, the phone said "no TIU" or something like that. So I believe there's some signal problem.

When I refresh, it starts again working perfectly and then things degrade slowly?

The last time, I had to refresh four times for it to see the TIU??? (while the engine kept running with the horn blasting)

No TIU found is a phone/tablet/app/network / WIU/TIU connection issue.  Doesn't have to do with the engine itself.

Power everything down including the WIU.  Manually close the app.  Restart power and TIU then reopen app.  Give the TIU and WIU time to boot and then try the app.   I've seen a phone do that before and can take a few tries for it to clear.  

One note to those using the new Playable whistle feature, when you turn that on, some other sounds like Forward whistle, Reverse Whistle, Crossing sound whistle sequences will NOT activate and play.  To play those again you have to turn Playable whistle off.   Also if you shut the engine down with playable whistle On, the next time you start up the engine you will need to turn Playable whistle off (and back on if you want to use it again) in order to get the prior noted sounds to play.  

You can do this on the original DCS remote as well.  

Select "SPW" (Sound Play Whistle) from the softkey options (grey S# buttons just under the screen) and that will let you work the playable whistle.  You then select a second option "FSW" for (Feature Smoking Whistle)

I have instructions here:

http://www.rayman4449.com/DCS_Overview_Videos.htm#Smoking_Quillable_Whistle_Instructions 

Anytime you have questions on operating the remote visit that page and look at the remote section it has a number of things regarding the DCS remote.

On other note, the smoking whistle smoke units are very small so only put a small amount of smoke fluid in.  The main smoke units are big so they can take a lot of fluid but dont start pouring lots of fluid into the whistle unit.

Probably not the right post to discuss this but...

The nice thing about using the WIFI with engines that have the playable whistle, is that it's easier to control the engine with the active screen. When using the DCS remote with the whistle, you leave the control screen and can't change anything. With the WIFI, the other stuff is still right there in the screen so you can change speeds or stop the engine while the whistle is still active.

• 2 weeks later...

DCS version 6.00 has officially been released and have links to MTH website and direct download available on the below topic.   You will need to update your Remote and TIU to DCS 6.00 in order to use the new Premium version of the Wifi app about to be released.

From http://mthtrains.com/news/594

New DCS 6.0 Software Available For Download

dcs_software_v6.jpg.408c4bc351c6f1d830dbddbc0db8e39d.jpg  Click HERE to Download DCS 6.0 Software 

YOU MUST USE THE DCS 5.0 CONSUMER LOADER TO INSTALL DCS 6.0 SOFTWARE INTO YOUR TIU AND REMOTE.

dcs_v234.jpg Click HERE To Download DCS 5.0 Consumer Loader Software

April 17, 2017 - The latest version of the software used in the DCS system is now available for download. The download is FREE and includes new DCS Hardware Software (Version 6.00) that allows the TIU to control Lionel Legacy locomotive features when the TIU is paired with the DCS WIU WiFi Interface Unit. Both the DCS Remote and TIU Track Interface Unit should be updated with the new software however, once updated the Remote will NOT have Legacy function control. Legacy control is only available when DCS is controlled via the DCS Premium App.

The new DCS Software allows the user to control the TIU from the DCS iOS and Android Premium App available from the Google Play and Apple iTunes online stores. App control of DCS also requires the separately sold DCS Wi-Fi Interface Unit (WIU).

The new DCS Consumer Loader Program (Version 5.0) must be used to reprogram the TIU. Older versions of the DCS Loader Program are incapable of making some firmware changes to the TIU that allow the TIU to interface with the Wi-Fi Interface Unit.

• 1 year later...