2015 NGRC

Chuck

Well I was looking over the 2015 NGRC vendors list and see some large scale manufacturers that are missing.

Maybe the list will change as the convention is in the beginning of July.

Boy, I'd think if these folks wanted to promote their products they'd attend??

So far I see the following companies missing...

• USA Trains/ Ro Manufacturing/ Charles Ro Supply
  • Piko
  • Bridgewerks
  • QSI
  • NCE
  • RLD Hobbies
  • MLS
  • LSC

Here's the vendors list.....

http://www.ngrc2015.com/index.php/vendors-list/vendors-list-2

Hi Chuck,

The last two conventions I went to were 2010 in Washington, and 2011 in Kansas City.  I know that USA Trains was missing from both. I remember they had a large booth at the 2003 convention in Sacramento, but somewhere in there they just stopped going to conventions. I think the ECLSTS and the Big Train Show are the only two they still attend. I agree this is very disappointing.

QSI has not been to a NGRC, as far as I know. In 2010 there was another vendor promoting QSI (I can't remember who), but it wasn't QSIndustries or QSI Solutions.

I don't remember seeing NCE, MLS, or LSC at a NGRC either.

RLD wasn't there in 2010, but was in 2011, and I helped make it worth it for them! I'm surprised and disappointed they won't be there this year.

Well must be something like the manufacturers don't consider a convention being a real train show. More like a get together for large scale enthusiasts and with a admission price of around $80.00 per head the general public won't be attending. Those that do attend already know what the manufacturers offer which really doesn't give them much of an incentive to showup. Or me nether as I've never been to a NGRC even though a few have been held in my backyard at The Pheasant Run Center just west of Chicago...15 minutes from my house.

Only trainshow I attend is the local monthly show...which is the largest monthly show in the country :)

http://www.greatmidwesttrainshow.com/

Chuck,

The NGRCs generally have public admission to the vendor hall on the weekend. Why haven't you attended? I've found some incredible deals at NGRCs! And it's fun to tour all the railroads too. At the 2016 convention in California there will be a special event at Accucraft, including a tour of their warehouse and a promise of some surprises.

Free locos for the attendees??? I'm in!!!!!! :D

In all seriousness, we touched on some of this with the discussion of MTH being among the prominent no-shows. I agree--it would make sense certainly for the big model manufacturers to be there displaying, but they're the ones looking at the books, so they've apparently got their reasons. Don't know that it's a choice I would make, especially since you can write off the cost of the trip, but it's not me making the decisions. I'll just scratch my head and say "missed opportunity."

Bridgewerks (and add Train-Li to that list) do strike me as a bit curious not to see them, but the rest don't surprise me. Dealers pick and choose the shows they go to. The on-line forums (particularly free ones) gain nothing from being there. I'd love to see QSI display. I'd love to see QSI answer their phones and respond to e-mails regarding their product first. :( But then there are no other DCC vendors on the list, either (nor have they traditionally displayed in the past), so it's nothing unusual. Here again, though, I have to think that large scale is an emerging market for DCC, and the manufacturers who show up with their products could generate a whole lot of excitement for them and have a definite leg up on those manufacturers who do not. The decoders are out there and being used by folks.

Later,

K

I agree, Kevin (with the free locos part especially!).

Being at shows is important. It tells us that the manufacturer is still in business and still cares enough the hobby (or at least their bottom line) to try and increase sales. As it is, I've been much accepted the opposite: most manufacturers are only barely still in business, and have no ambitions beyond survival.

At my local garden railway club clinics there has been a lot of interest when I show up with DCC equipment and QSI-equipped locomotives with great sound. Most garden railroaders don't seem to know about many of the choices out there. I know what QSI's profit margin is, but if they were there in person demo'ing and selling Titans (perhaps even customizing them for people), I'll bet they'd sell enough to pay for the trip. I know I'd buy a couple more. And that doesn't even consider the long term gains from increased brand awareness. But yeah, first they need to work on customer support, and keeping their product in stock.

Hello

I can't comment for the others, but I can for Bridgewerks - we were planning on attending, and we plan on attending in Santa Clara next year, but a personal conflict is keeping us away from Denver.   We will be in Ontario at the Big Train Show (https://bigtrainshow.com/) and we will be in Portland for the NMRA convention.

Mark

I saw Bridgewerks at the ECLSTS. I didn't have a lot of time as my girl wanted to go. For some reason, I forgot what models I had under pressure when talking with the reps!

The table was full of their products. For some reason, other manufacturer's tables didn't have all their stuff. Accucraft only had the cab forward. It is magnificent. I wanted to see more on the high cubes and even the GPs. They wanted to discuss the live steam models. I understand but I have to draw the line somewhere in the sand!