Hop up Ur Aristocraft smoke units

enginear joe

Out of interest what is a sensible voltage to apply continuously to MTH smoke elements and motors? Up to now my only experience of them has been of pulsed units connected to Protosound boards. From this it would appear that other sources of power would work O.K.

Joe,

Brilliant idea!!! I think I may very well do this to all mine at some point. I modified all my Aristo units but this is really the smarter solution to go with this better smoke unit all together!

Thanks so much for sharing this :)

On the question regarding voltages, I would have to check the fan leads to confirm but the Aristocraft power leads should be providing 5v so that would be safe for the elements, just wire it right up and go. Without additional information just try the fan out on the bench and do some testing. you should be able to tell what level of voltage seems appropriate and adjust as necessary.

Raymond

• 9 months later...

For those interested I have the MTH O gauge units in stock for $45.00 each. ($50.00 if you want it pre-wired for an Aristocraft engine)

I definitely plan to go through and upgrade all my Aristocraft units with this setup.

I should mention that the idea came from Ray in a way. I had him upgrade a USA SD40-2 for me a few years back. I had a spare smoke unit from a Atlas O gauge with Lionel smoke unit. I asked him to install it and I believe he had to swap out the elements inside. He mentioned on his site of having a leaking Aristo unit that he repaired with glue inside the tank.

When I finally got a new dash 9, I was working on the stock smoke unit. I thought of all the trouble I was going thru to get it to perform like I wanted and getting it to stop dripping inside. I grabbed a spare O gauge MTH unit and saw it would fit inside. No element swap, no glue inside the reservoir, great smoker out of the box. My laziness and lack of electronic knowledge worked out for me!

• 4 years later...