New USA Trains Locomotives!! (UP 4-8-4 Fef $3799.95, Heavyweight cars, etc)

Chuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep can't wait to pull down my gray challenger and give them a go. need to figure out coupler compatibility first and might need to remove the pick ups from the wheels to help with drag but I will try it first. It is good timing with MTH announcing another run of the challenger

Here is a quick picture with the combine car and the tender from a MTH Challenger I think it will go very nicely together. As you can see the coupler height is a problem but looks like I can just 3d print a new and shorter mount to bring it up high enough. wish me luck

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

My heavyweights arrived today also, it surprised me how much heavier they were compared to the aristocraft. I really like them, excellent detail and quality.

Dave,

I run 8ft diameter so the FEF is out for me, so I find myself considering the mth challenger, but I have never owned any mth. Not sure if they run on a usatrains oversupply or how the 1:32 will look like with the engine itself.  Let me know if you can work out the coupler issue.

Thanks and enjoy.

Brian

20200526_183219.jpg

Coupler problem fixed. instead of the stock metal u channel mount I printed a pedestal mount to raise the coupler up and line up with the MTH coupler. No other mod needed so easy to put back to stock if you want.

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

Brian, I have run my MTH with standard DC power supply both the USA trains and the bridge work supply's. not sure about the 8' dia but it does my 10' no problem. if you buy one of the upcoming ones they will have DCS 3.0 it is a nice system that works on just about everything DC, DCS, and DCC. they are a lot of fun with DCC with all the controls of sounds and lilghts but sometime its just nice to toss it on the track with DC and play. As soon as I get my Gray Challenger down I'll post some pictures and maybe a video.  

7 hours ago, Dave Stubbs said:

Brian, I have run my MTH with standard DC power supply both the USA trains and the bridge work supply's. not sure about the 8' dia but it does my 10' no problem. if you buy one of the upcoming ones they will have DCS 3.0 it is a nice system that works on just about everything DC, DCS, and DCC. they are a lot of fun with DCC with all the controls of sounds and lilghts but sometime its just nice to toss it on the track with DC and play. As soon as I get my Gray Challenger down I'll post some pictures and maybe a video.  

Thanks for the information, I look forward to seeing your passenger set running. I was looking at the grey with yellow stripes in the mth catalog.

Brian

9 hours ago, BrianUPheritage said:

My heavyweights arrived today also, it surprised me how much heavier they were compared to the aristocraft. I really like them, excellent detail and quality.

Dave,

I run 8ft diameter so the FEF is out for me, so I find myself considering the mth challenger, but I have never owned any mth. Not sure if they run on a usatrains oversupply or how the 1:32 will look like with the engine itself.  Let me know if you can work out the coupler issue.

Thanks and enjoy.

Brian

I run my MTH 1:32 Challenger exclusively with my Aristo UP Heavyweights and I really love the set.

Photos on this page: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH_Challenger.htm 

Nice Ray, really wish MTH would sell the smoke deflectors might try to 3d print a set with my SLA printer if you get a chance can you take a couple of pictures of the back side just wondering how they mount?

So really like the look of the Challenger and the heavyweights sadly my challenger needs some work. with only 3 cars I'm getting front driving gear slip during starting its a known problem and ray has a good fix that I need to do to it. Other problem I have is the MTH coupler will just open on its own. Its old so might need to replace. as soon as i fix I'll load her up. Here is a quick video of the 3 cars to get an idea of what it will look like.

They look incredible, Dave and Brian! Now I really want to get a set. Keep posting pictures and you may push me over the edge. ;) The weight and drag does concern me though. I doubt I'd be able to pull too many, since I have a long step grade (2.5%, almost 3% in places).

They do look good behind the Challenger!

Yeah Big Boys never pulled passenger trains as were regulated to 50 mph...Challengers were good for 70 mph or more.

Quick update. Fixed the coupler problem, a USA knuckle fit right on and stays closed. so back to the track. I added a 4th car and front drive looses traction on any incline and during starting. So sadly I'm guessing even after I add some weights and springs to apply more down force to the front driver she still will not be able to handle all 10 cars. So I am looking into ways to either make the car lighter and/or roll better. The thought of going ball bearing scares the crap out of me with 6 axels per car so lets look at making the car lighter. the cars come apart nicely right up to the floor. I can't get it out but was able to lift it high enough to see that the weight is molded into the plastic base. The only way I can see making it lighter is to get the floor out somehow and drill lighting holes in the metal plate but not through the plastic base. For now I think I will try to remove the carbon pickups and see how it goes without them. Might look at using a 9v battery instead I really don't run at night much. I also ordered a pair of BB from trainline with pickup to test out. I'll add some pictures later tonight. 

Ok got my challenger to pull all 10 heavyweights. I switched over to a challenger I had already done the front driver mod with added weights and springs that is detailed on Rays mod page, and man it pulls like a beast now. I also had to remove the 2 carbon brushes off of one truck so each car only is getting power from one axle. but I have to give USA trains some credit on the LED circut. I had no flicker at all and once power is removed from the track the cars stay lit for around 30 sec.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 9:08 PM, Dave Stubbs said:

Was told the FEF delay has to do with the smoke unit getting too hot and needing a re-design. They are hoping for late summer/early fall release. At least it gives me some time to pay off the heavyweights. 

USA/ Ro once again changed the FEF shipping...now only shows as on back order.

• 9 months later...

I went back to start of this thread and see the official announcement about USA going ahead and making the FEF was announced here on 3/12/2017...Almost 4 years to the date. Really ain't all that bad considering what all the world has been thru with trade wars, epidemic etc.

Now the great debate resumes... to buy an 844, or not? I don't have a full circle of 16-foot diameter track for it, yet, so even if I bought one, it'd be a shelf queen (more accurately a box dweller) for a long while. Then again, I'm working so much (trucker) that I don't have hardly any time to play with my trains as it is.

You should buy one! Think I'll wait and see how they "shake out" over the next several months. Maybe my Christmas present to myself! :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Wow trucking! I have a friend who is #1 driver at R&L in Elgin.