New USA Trains Locomotives!! (UP 4-8-4 Fef $3799.95, Heavyweight cars, etc)

Chuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a huge announcement!  What is being communicated is these are 'possible' new releases.  Haven't heard any other details at this point but I would assume that means they will be made if pre-orders are high enough which would mean they are going to try a different approach to introducing new models and throw them out there as proposals and see if the demand is there in pre-orders and if not just cancel as some of the other mfgs do.  Before with their Hudson, Big Boy and Docksider they just moved forward with making them, but given the investment required it has limited new models produced.  So going with a pre-order based approach would make bringing new models to market safer and more feasible.  Here's to hoping it equates into new production :)

Now time for that DD40...   ;)

I don't entirely agree with that view as anything USA Trains has advertised they have produced.

I only know of 2 exceptions, 1 was they advertised a "shorty" 2-bay covered hopper that was never produced. The second was the original 0-6-0 was advertised to have a tender but that was changed to the 0-6-0T Docksider.

The only real "new" steam engine shown is the K4. The FEF & Challenger share the same cab, tender, drives, trucks etc. as the highly successful Big Boy. The Hudson well shares the Hudson drives, trucks, frames etc. Minimal amount of tooling required to get those 3 into production.

The K4 is an all new animal!

I imagine the F40 diesel is a go!

I'll order at least 1 of each steamer and at least 4 F40PH's...2 undecorated unless he makes in Metra paint and 2 of the black/ silver w/ red nose Amtrak versions! :D 

Possibly a set of the new heavyweights also!!  

The question is what does 'possible' mean.  I think one of us needs to call CharlesRo Monday and get clarification.   From what it means to me is that possible isn't definite as in saying 'future' engines or something along those lines.  The fact too that since like 2002 (maybe earlier?) they've only made 3 steam locomotives and announced them one at a time with years in between.  Now they are announcing 4 at once.  I've assumed this is because of limited financial resources to do more than one at a time as they need that capital plus profit back to invest in the next (especially ones made to the level of detail and all die-cast like USA Trains steamers).  Will find out shortly I'm sure.  The question is assuming one of these gets made first which one will it be :)

I wonder if they could take someone else's project and have it completed for an electric version?????

The Dreyfuss?? the K4??? seems like they would be available by the same makers overseas??? I'm surprised they didn't announce a GP60!

I'm really torn as it seemed like 1/29 scale was wavering. This venture could be the saving for that scale. I wondered over to 1/32 and would prefer more releases there too. I must admit that these seem tempting.

I have a couple of LGB Amtrak cars and struggle to get more. That F40PH hits right when I was considering another scratch build of it.

I saw a K4 at the ECLSTS and my girl whisked me away from even considering the $1400 price tag. It was tougher for me knowing that they may need work to perform the way I'd expect.

I think I'll stay with my "wait and see what's available". I know USA delivers better than some others. If it's not coming for years, I won't even get excited.

And there is always the issue of what is the smallest radius track they can run on. If they will only run on 16 to 20 foot diameter curves it will reduce the size of the potential market..................Jim

One of us I'm sure will find out soon what the details are around the announcement.  Regardless, I wouldn't expect them here next month, figure at least 2 years.  Looking back on past time-lines:

USA Big Boy: (2.5 years)

Feb 2005:  Announced 

~June 2007:  Delivered (to my door)

MTH Big Boy: (~2 years)

Announced 2004 catalog (My Pre-order placed Mar 2005) 

June 2006:  Delivered

Things move slowly in this scale, always have.  I hope there is enough demand to see them made.  Still would like to see someone announce a 611 and given it's restoration it would get a good bit of interest I would think!  I do know at least two that are going to order an FEF :)

Heck I'd order six SD70ACes or ES44s first. There are a bunch of modern engines that I'd be after.

I emailed USA a while back and asked them to consider the modern CSX paint scheme on a SD70MAC. I also wished for the slanted radiators to be an option. I can mock one up myself from one of theirs. I just thought that the MAC was a good seller and more should be made to match the modern ones.

I would grab a DD40.

I see that they posted a sign asking for people's opinion on which stuff to make at that show. Might be just trying to see what is the most exciting thing to produce? I have to go for the F40 myself. I would like any one of the steamers if I can afford them. I bet that Challenger would be striking. I'd probably be after the K4 because of the missed Accucraft one.

There's also talk of several cars. Flat beds, high cubes, etc. I need some bigger flats to handle my MTH trailers. Otherwise, I need to add weight to their flats somehow. I'm thinking of heavy metal trucks to get the weight down low. So I may make some custom doubles myself with USA trucks.

I would like to see the Articulated auto cars made by someone. I might take a stab at making some.

I burned out trying to make engines to decent detailing.

Ok I have read that at least some of these (Likely at least steam engines) new projects are actual proposals to collect survey information on what the community would most like to see.  Can I place a vote for a 611?  ;)

Here is the list of new items:

40ft & 50ft Gondola Car

40ft & 50ft High Cube Box car
89ft All Purpose Flat Car
50ft Front Runner with 48ft Trailer
Pre-War 7 Car Heavy Weight Pullman Passenger Car Set
Amleet 1 Amtrak Coach & Cafe Passenger Cars
Amtrak F40PH Diesel

Pennsylvania - K4
Union Pacific - (FEF-3) 4-8-4
Union Pacific - Challenger
New York Central - Dreyfuss Hudson

Updated item:

SD70 with ACE fans at rear of engine

One of us I'm sure will find out soon what the details are around the announcement.  Regardless, I wouldn't expect them here next month, figure at least 2 years.  Looking back on past time-lines:

USA Big Boy: (2.5 years)

Feb 2005:  Announced 

~June 2007:  Delivered (to my door)

MTH Big Boy: (~2 years)

Announced 2004 catalog (My Pre-order placed Mar 2005) 

June 2006:  Delivered

Things move slowly in this scale, always have.  I hope there is enough demand to see them made.  Still would like to see someone announce a 611 and given it's restoration it would get a good bit of interest I would think!  I do know at least two that are going to order an FEF :)

Well the original MTH announcement for the 1:32 lineup was sometime in late 2000 as I remember reading the ads in O Gauge RR Magazine as that got me thinking "why am I spending $1,200 on a o gauge Challenger when I can buy one in 1:32 scale for $999 ??" So began my sell off of o gauge equipment.

MTH Challenger & Hudson announced in late 2000

Produced in 2004

4 year wait...MTH "felt" bad about the long delivery time so they included a "free" DCS remote with each Challenger...but at the same time raised the price of the Challenger by $100 so the remote really wasn't free...and what good is a remote without a TIU?? 

I wonder if they could take someone else's project and have it completed for an electric version?????

The Dreyfuss?? the K4??? seems like they would be available by the same makers overseas??? I'm surprised they didn't announce a GP60!

I'm really torn as it seemed like 1/29 scale was wavering. This venture could be the saving for that scale. I wondered over to 1/32 and would prefer more releases there too. I must admit that these seem tempting.

I have a couple of LGB Amtrak cars and struggle to get more. That F40PH hits right when I was considering another scratch build of it.

I saw a K4 at the ECLSTS and my girl whisked me away from even considering the $1400 price tag. It was tougher for me knowing that they may need work to perform the way I'd expect.

I think I'll stay with my "wait and see what's available". I know USA delivers better than some others. If it's not coming for years, I won't even get excited.

I was thinking about building some F40PH's myself in 1:29 scale. Was going to start by using AML GP60M cabs if they ever get produced??!!

I see the pole Ray. I have to vote for the F40PH as #1. I also want the flat cars. Because I'm a modern diesel fan the steamers would be an extra. So I shouldn't vote as I might not buy any of them. I have a feeling that the Challenger would be near the price of the BB?? Maybe the DD40x would be better for me. All they have to do is add an extra swinging axle to the other end of their trucks.

But for me make them in METRA paint as I see these everyday as they own over 100 of them. The replaced the E8/9 units back in the mid 70's. Most are named after various suburbs/ towns that the lines serve.

post-23-0-11088300-1433891845_thumb.jpg