New USA Trains Locomotives!! (UP 4-8-4 Fef $3799.95, Heavyweight cars, etc)

Chuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Razor_Antilles said:

I wish I had room for 20' curves... as well as three grand for an FEF-3 when it comes out. Or four grand for a Big Boy. Alas...

Okay, I took a video and have your answer...

Thank you very much for making and posting this! Huge help!

Now we can essentially take it to the bank that if the 4-8-4 tender is the same dimensions as a 4-8-8-4 tender (as they appear to be, but I have not studied either in extraordinary depth), the FEF-3 will be rated for 16-foot diameter track, unless USAT surprises us all and comes out with 12-foot or 13-foot.

1 hour ago, Jim Miller said:

if they only put flanges on first and last axle wheels with blind wheels in middle i bet they can do 10 foot diameter. Of coarse they will not do that because it is not prototypical........Jim

That's what I'm hoping happens, but I'm not holding my breath. There's also a remote (very remote) possibility that the FEF-3 tender is shorter than the Big Boy tender by enough to make it happen. Maybe. Possibly.

I can tell you now as Jim said, USA won't put blind drivers on the FEF (and won't be an option) and the tender won't be materially different from the Big Boy.

Big Boy Tender specs:                   4884-1              4884-2

Tender Water Capacity 24000 gals        25000 gals
Tender Fuel Capacity (oil/coal) 28 tons 28 tons

FEF Tender specs:                         FEF-1            FEF-2            FEF-3 (844)

Tender Water Capacity 20000 gals     23500 gals     23500 gals
Tender Fuel Capacity (oil/coal) 25 tons 25 tons 25 tons

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted on Facebook:  

USA Trains "Official News" New Product Announcement

Hi to All first let me state that I have been "Authorized" by Charlie Ro Jr to be a "Spokes Person" and announce this following news. In return for this early USA Trains news Charlie Jr wants me to let everyone know "Please Do Not" blast Charles Ro with calls in reference to reserving or purchasing just yet. Please wait for the "Official Arrival Announcement".....Thanx.

We basically all knew this already but now it was actually made "Official" to me. Yes USA Trains will be producing the Heavy Weight Passenger car in the Ultimate Series based on the Pennsylvania style and a Union Pacific FEF 4-8-4 in the Prestige Series. They are still currently finishing the molds up for the heavy weight cars. Charlie Jr is thinking the heavy weight passenger cars would be available in the first quarter of 2018 but is not 100% sure as things do change in production. Charlie Jr has mentioned if the product does not meet his stringent quality control and accuracy he will not release it for production until he is satisfied and not compromise quality just to meet a dead line.

Even if I can't run it on 10-foot, the FEF-3 is going to look spectacular. Can't wait to see it!

So, next bit of speculation: who thinks the FEF-3 will be available before the end of this year? Full disclosure: I haven't gone searching for any updated release information.

I'm going to wager around 270,000-330,000 pennies ;)

If we go by the current prestige pricing, with the Hudson at 220,000 pennies and the Big Boy at 380,000 pennies, I'm expecting the FEF-3 to fall right around that price point at CharlesRo dot com.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, the FEF has whistle smoke too! (& cylinder smoke) I'm guessing the min radius is still 20'??

It's 4' long so I wonder how much this one weighs?

Looks like she will be another great offering with roller bearings. Very, very nice.

Any word on the Amtrak stuff??

Wow, well this is an exciting announcement! It's great to finally see an official ad, and now finally be able to see the paint scheme variations and pricing. I was really hoping for a few hundred less, but I guess the bigger surprise is that the Big Boy hasn't gone up in price in awhile. I suppose I could pass on this, but of course I want one and I do like to vote with my wallet: more 1:29th scale steam locomotives is exactly what I want to see. I'm excited about the new heavyweight cars too. Not surprisingly, USA Trains is doing it right: fully detailed cars with LED lighting and figures.

I have to set a limit on what I will spend on a single engine. I wanted to exceed that a couple of times. On the Allegheny, on the T1, and again right now on this. I feel this will be a great release.

There were a few other times like when I was at York show and saw Charles Ro discounting the USA Hudson and the Big Boy.

I will congratulate anyone who gets this engine. It is great to see that they are raising the bar again.

Maybe I should sell off several engines that have not lived up to my expectations? (SD70Macs and SD40-2s) That usually doesn't amount to anything but some empty spaces on my shelves.

On 5/16/2017 at 9:52 AM, Jerry B44 said:

Too big/heavy/pricey for me. 

That's the same old rhetoric that was stated about the USA Big Boy....But USA Trains keeps selling them out. I'll never sell mine :) 

On 5/16/2017 at 9:46 PM, enginear joe said:

Maybe I should sell off several engines that have not lived up to my expectations? (SD70Macs and SD40-2s) .

Send me an email with what you have for sale! 

• 2 months later...