New USA Trains Locomotives!! (UP 4-8-4 Fef $3799.95, Heavyweight cars, etc)

Chuck

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, The 2-tone grey with yellow stripe was my second choice as it's gorgeous!!

Production numbers. I have no idea but do remember when the USAT Big Boy was first cataloged they showed the numbers and was like 100 of 2 versions and the other 2 something like 150 each.  But those numbers don't mean much as they had a 2nd production run.

So much for Lewis Polk's declaration that there is no market in g gauge for large heavy steamers that need gigantic layouts to operate on. 

I'll get a video posted maybe later in the week as currently it's on the workbench getting a PS3 conversion/ install.  :Slightly_Smiling_Face_Emoji(24x24):

Good question about current draw! PS3 (and PS2) converted engines will actually reduce current draw as the electronics are more efficient. I've seen that happen time after time. My last test was comparing a RailPro to PS3. PS3 beat it hands down with the smoke unit on!  RailPro had no smoke unit wired to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I swapped out the engineer and fireman figures for the more realistic MTH style. Also added cab interior lights. Cab was made for a pair of lights and lighting board has extra plugs to add them so why didn't they??

20220119_193921.thumb.jpg.3868c7b9eb0d0b240c2f5fb06217006a.jpg

Cab looks great, and the lighting is nice and even through out.  I do like the Grey of the loco & tender, more so than black.

I still can't wrap my head around how big and powerful the steam locomotive was.  And each had a charm of it's own.

Oh, the color is black but the flat clear really dulled it. I think the lighting and the camera makes it appear more grey than it really is.

Yes about the size of real ones! 844 was the very last steam locomotive that the U.P. bought.

I wish somebody would make a 1:29 NYC Niagara as those were the ultimate 4-8-4 design! And I would say the pinnacle of steam in America as all further advancements stopped. Then again the N&W J's were very impressive along with the SP GS-4.

The Niagara's boiler was capable of generating 8,500 hp of steam...way more than the cylinders could consume.

Well here's a kinda crappy video of mine. I need a smartphone holder so videos aren't shaky. :Smirk_Face_Emoji_large(24x24):

• 5 months later...

Does anybody know if there's a difference between the USAT f3 and f7, besides the dynamic break fan?  The Charles Ro site says the passenger pilot and f7 grills are for the f7 only, but I was wanting to get them for one of my f3s.  Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it does say "New USA Trains...etc".