USA Dockside engine

enginear joe

Joe, I DCS'd one several years ago and it even had barely enough room to fit a smoke unit!

Only real downfall is not any room for a decent speaker.

That engine ended up being sold to the late Ray Shoop  :mellow:

They run really well but the short wheelbase...they will stall on big switches with dead frogs :( 

I really wish Ro would have made them as a 0-6-0 with a tender...like the AML version. 

Ahhh sugar. My computer keeps getting hacked and I struggle to get online. I missed your post Chuck. I was afraid I'd miss the sale so I ordered one this morning. Looks like I'll have to add some type of tender car to get her thru the dead switch frogs on my layout? Maybe a dedicated power attached car???

They are smooth little runners! Heavy being all die-cast metal they'll pull over a house! I have a video of mine somewhere...on some hard drive...I'll see if I can find it and get it up on You Tube.

You probably just need to run something like MalewareBytes to rid the computer of those pesky little programs running in the background.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I opened the little engine up to see how she's made. Some cool ideas inside. The first thing that occurs to me in a MTH PS command upgrade, would be if the heater element could be replaced with a MTH O gauge one? The body of it measures about 5/8" . So I'm thinking there must be some short element used in some RK small engine?

That would mean I'm leaning towards keeping the stock smoke unit inside and utilizing the piston puffer unit!

I bet I could swap the whole thing out for an electric model. I just had a thought that it would be easier to keep stuff intact?

post-10-0-73019200-1438382922_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-57397800-1438382933_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-85342200-1438382944_thumb.jpg

Ooops. A stock MTH O scale element is 5/8" long. Maybe I could cram two in there? I forgot to try the stock smoke unit first to see how well it works. I'm interested in the piston action that is. I'll go look at utube for some videos.

Mine seems to smoke better than that video above. I had to bend the connecting rod ever so slightly as it was hitting the bottom side wall and I notice a bind at very slow speed. If anyone does that be sure not to bend too much as the tolerances appear tight on the piston travel.

https://youtu.be/7n-rIXX7nbI

What I did was scrap that smoke system and installed a old TA Studios smoke unit...but I think a USA Trains smoke unit would work just fine. I filed the sides of the smoke unit down as thin as I dared. I then ground the inside of the boiler out to make room enough for the smoke unit to fit. It was tough going but die-cast metal is soft. I could have used a o gauge MTH smoke unit but I wanted the largest capacity version I could fit.

I made a shelf out of plastic that used the same studs as the USA board. Then mounted the PS2 board to that. Used a o gauge board and just let the heat sink dangle/ free air cooling.

Speaker was a small little guy that fit in the coal bunker. Above that I used another piece of plastic for a switch panel for polarity, smoke etc.

I mounted a super cap under the PS2 boards...under the shelf.

The end product came out much better than I anticipated  :)

Sorry about the crappy video quality but it's the only one I could find  :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

I should have waited until it's done to post pics. I spent the day repairing brand new stuff instead of doing this engine. The first pic shows the shell laying on the frame to check the fit. The second, shows why I checked. She's shoved in there!

post-10-0-76171300-1439259615.jpg

post-10-0-13571200-1439259660.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I have so many projects going, I forgot where I left off on this engine. I slapped it together after changing the LEDs to warm white ones. I never speed matched the engine and of course it's off a bit, too slow. I'll have to go back in and remove some stripes. It's always rewarding to see them run!

https://youtu.be/TeeC9QXO02s​

• 1 year later...

I need to go back to this engine someday and finish her. I left a polarity switch just laying there and the stock speaker is lame. I need to search and find a speaker that will fit in the small space.

for some reason the video above didn't link up? this is the stock speaker:

• 1 month later...

This is looking and sounding great Joe! And the center set Kadee looks really perfect on it. It's such a nice improvement. 

(You really have me tempted to get one... and they are even on sale again at Charles Ro right now. Can't get everything though and I'm gonna have to continue to past on them for now!)