next project, focus!

It is so easy to get distracted in G scale. There are things going on that get your attention. If you're like me, you probably have your own list of wants and priorities. I have 2 scratch builds going still and wish to start more, instead of finishing these. There are several reasons for this and not the least, is the spark that starts a new project overpowers the nagging to finish something that feels like a job.

I've been wavering on what's next. I always intended to build the long flat cars for intermodal. I recently started acquiring tanks and army stuff for loads on the middle sized flats. For me, I think a rough build to get started would be easy. But,.... it's not my top priority.

There are engines that I've always wanted that get top priority. So the two started ones and now what's next? I looked briefly at the DD40 and thought I'd like to attempt it. That one wasn't even on my list before. I have plans already drawn for the newer ES44 GE's that should have been next. I now have my sights on the AC6000 and feel that might be a next build. I wanted a SD80MAC first, but the spark seems to be going towards the GE first. I found some pictures that will help the build along.

I hate to be swept up so easy in changing directions, but I have to go with what motivates me. The season is better to use my outdoor tools and tackle the rough build of a larger project than just a flat car or two. Seeing what other guys are doing can influence what direction I go. I want Superliners, so... they should be next??

So how do you guys focus? Is there a stubbornness that keeps you focused? I know some guys build for others and don't really care what the subject is. They just apply their talents. With the extra time and expense that it takes me to build, I need to keep focused!!!

SD80MAC or AC6000????........(or ES44....or???)

For me being married with a house and 4 acres , animals like chickens and then we have the wife's horse, there never seams time to deal with these.. never mine the trains.. so my focus it the to do list first.. then maybe start something , like you I might finish some things.. we need longer days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. there is a Job that takes at least 40 hrs. a week.

Engineer Joe, interesting subject. For me, challenge is the key word.  I like to challenge myself and construct items that, not necessarily that no one has done, but items that I haven't done.  When I get an idea, I try to gain as much knowledge about the subject as I can and use that knowledge for my project.  Unfortunately most of the projects that I dive into require accomplishing the end result with little beginning knowledge, and that's OK, because that is what I like about this hobby, challenges. Bob.

Yes, interesting subject.

I like having a number of projects pending or in progress, because if I stall, I can turn my attention to something else while waiting for inspiration. That's just how my mind works.

Not too many open ends, though, because then I get paralyzed and frustrated without really knowing why. Thus I tend to force myself to finish what I'm doing or sidetrack it to get it out of the loop.

Currently I have these projects going, planned or being dreamed about:

Ongoing:

• 1:32 scale: Scratch building a Danish CU type guard's van
  • 1:32 scale: Converting 20 pcs. 1:32 scale two-axle freight cars to Danish types. 10 pcs. finished. Stalled until further notice.
  • N scale: Building a layout at home. Backdrops are next.
  • N scale: Converting a Kato FEF-3 to DCC

Planned:

• 1:32 scale: Convert a BR50 steamer to Danish class N. Waiting for the MTH F7s to arrive as the BR50 is my only gauge 1 motive power
  • N scale: Convert remaining motive power to DCC: 2xF3, GP7, H16-44
  • 1:32 scale: Convert MTH F7s to full-blown DCC and powering the B units. Probably not until after the BR50 conversion.
  • Finish stage 3 (final stage) of the home layout
  • Landscape on the home layout
  • Rewrite my software to version 2. Procrastinating

Dreams:

• 1:32 scale: Building a Hegob kit for a Breuer 1930's tractor
  • 1:32 scale ATSF hi-levels
  • 1:32 scale F7 in TEE livery

Four ongoing projects is nice.

The number of planned projects is a bit high, so now and again I realize I need to move some of those into the 'dreams' bin.

I just let a pair of really cheap N scale GP7s go on ebay because as you can see, I have plenty of motive power waiting for me, and maybe the money was better spent on decoders or track for the next stage of the layout.

It's all about being honest to myself, really.

Jens

I'm like everybody else..way too many projects going on all at once  :)

My main projects are Convert MTH Challenger over to Big Boy metal drive wheels & roller bearing all axles, finish a USA bay window caboose Milwaukee Road paint job, install Led lighting & smoke unit and finish up a scratchbuilt Milw. Rd. 5820 cu. ft. 4-bay covered hopper that measures 28" long.

Have outdoor elevated layout to work on, switches to install, passenger cars to paint, heavyweights to upgrade, MDC hoppers to upgrade, DCS conversions for my locos and customers DCS conversions to finish up...in spare time rebuild indoor layout  :)