Unloading bridge girders for a new high-speed railroad line

SteamPower4ever

Denmark's first high-speed rail line (250 km/h) is currently under construction and on its way out of Copenhagen it crosses practically every freeway possible. Naturally lots of bridges and tunnels are needed, and the girders for one of the longest bridges are being built in Poland.

A few weeks ago the first shipment arrived by barge and were transported on huge flatbeds across the isle of Sealand (Sjælland). The transports were so large they blocked both lanes on the motorway and had to stop at underpasses to let other traffic pass using the off/on ramps.

The next shipment has now arrived at my local harbour, this time on the deck of the good ship M/V Marit of Holland. Once again the largest floating crane in Northern Europe was called upon to lift the girders ashore, and as I passed on the way home from work today, they were offloading the last of the girders. Naturally I had to stop and take a few pictures ...

samson1.jpg

samson2.jpg

samson3.jpg

samson4.jpg

samson5.jpg

Jens

That's awesome! Same kind of work I retired from last year but not on that scale!  :o

You happen to know the name of the crane or who owns it as I'd like to read up on it!!

A few more pictures from this weekend.

Friday in Korsør. Girders are waiting at the dock and the flatbeds are loaded and ready to move when the night comes.

bridge1.jpg

This is one of the small flatbeds ...

bridge2.jpg

Sunday - on my way to visit family I passed the construction site and managed to get a few shots.

bridge3.jpg

A view to the span over the southbound lanes, currently being constructed.

bridge4.jpg

If you want to read more about the new high-speed line, here is a link to Banedanmark, the Danish rail authority.

Jens

Various videos are showing up on YouTube:

The large transports leaving Korsør harbour:

One of the flatbeds passing a roundabout in Korsør:

Two transports on the motorway outside the town of Slagelse (close to my home)
They're climbing Vaarby Hill, which is not very long, but fairly steep. It looks like they're letting regular traffic through on the hard shoulder lane.

Time-lapse video from Banedanmark, showing the construction of the spans over the southbound motorway.

And finally an animated CG presentation of the construction principle.

If you search for "København-Ringsted" on YouTube there are more videos visualizing the high-speed railway project.

Jens