Doubletrack

Ivar

What will be the normal distance between track. I have a minimum of 16' (5m) diameter curves

I have SD40-2, SD45 and SD70MAC that shall run here.

I have searche the forum but could not find anything about it

Ivar

Norway

Welcome Ivar.

I would say in your case it depends on the cars you plan to run and how long they would be and thus how much overhang they would have.  The other question is do you ever foresee visiting steam on your layout?

I went with 8 inch as I recall on the centers (maybe a tad more) to try and ensure I could run any type of steam with any kind of boiler overhang with any length rolling stock on the opposing track and also a good safety factor if there is some sort of derailment on one of the lines.  I run 20ft diameter curves with prototypical steam articulation which means prototypical boiler overhang.  I wouldn't think you would ever need to go over 8 to 9 inch and my distances as I recall was more than what most people run.  I would say the thing to do is lay track down with engines and rolling stock on track and curves and figure out based on test distances what you prefer for safety margin and appearance.  

Thanks for the answers.

I have the C16 I have from Aristocraft with 4 short old time passenger car. I have no plan for any other steam, or passenger car.

Big steam will be to costly to get from USA.

My longest cars ar the modern tank car form USA Trains. I think they are 55'. The longest they have.

I have planned for 16cm or about 6.5" on straight track and go up 20cm or 8" in curves. .As I mentioned, I have 5m (16,5') diameter as the tightest curve, so then I think it will go as planned.

Thank again for input.

Take a look here: http://ivar-aas.wix.com/ivars-mj#!hjem/c16ww

Look at the pictures under G scale. I have tried to write some comments in english.

I hope I can run around the hole railroad next year. Still have to make the lower part of the railroad.

I making a loop to get down there. Hope I have finishd that before the snow coming down.

As you can see, I have a raised roadbed. I'm very glad I do that when I did the cabling work.

To old to stay on knees and working. The roadbed I started working with, warps and sunk, so trains derailed.

I have changed that and now I can sit or stand on it.

Ivar

• 1 year later...

Ivar:

I model strictly in 1/32 scale and scalled down the official disance between track centers on the PLM railway of France which works out to 13 cm. I have had no problem with this using very long (scale 85' coaches and large engines such as the PRR T1). Friends bringing in some aristo craft 1/29th scale equipment have been able to run on my track although clearances are tight. Also narrow gauge fans working in 1/24th, 1/22nd and 1/20th scale. It is likely that US roads use a slightly wider spacing as their clearance diagram is a bit more generous especially western roads built much later than eastern ones (They were built later and by that time the knowhow of engineers had adopted wider clearances).

Great trestle!