Teamspeak (Group voice chat) - Now up and available for users

Webmaster

**Updated 1/9/2017**

_____________________________________________________________________________________

All,

I'm happy to announce that we now have a group voice chat service (Teamspeak 3) that is now available for free to all users of Gscaletrainforum.com.  

This allows group collaboration whether it be for social or technical reasons.  

To use this service you will need to install the Teamspeak software and purchase a headset with microphone.

Software:

To get started, go to http://www.teamspeak.com, select "Downloads" then select the proper client version for your operating system and click the Download icon.  Click the 'I agree' box and then Submit.  On the next screen click 'No thanks, take me to the download'.  Run and install the application.

Start the application and select 'Connection' and then 'Connect'.  

Enter  70.94.99.232  in the 'Server Address' field and enter in your Gscaletrainforum.com username in the nickname field and click 'Connect'.

Headset:

There are a wide variety of headsets available.  Most will come with two 3.5 connectors (one goes into mic jack and other speaker jack on your computer)

General list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100017794%20600046146&IsNodeId=1&Description=headset&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS&PageSize=100

Specific ones:

Sennheiser PC131 (3.5mm Connector) headset: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106155  ($39.00)

Sennheiser PC151 (3.5mm Connector) headset: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106157  ($45-60)

If you need more help please send me a message or post a reply here.  

We will look at setting up times for everyone to get online and talk in the near future.

- Webmaster

• 5 months later...

I've used TeamSpeak for years in the FlightSim Community and it really brings folks together.  There isn't a day that goes by without me talking to friends in England, Australia. and all over the USA.  Kinda nice when G Scaling (?) isn't huge in Nebraska....  Saves a bunch of typing as well.

I've tried your new set-up but haven't seen anyone on it yet.  Great idea,

Charles

It is very useful for sure.  I would say invite your friends to register on the site and just start using it.  Figured it was just a matter of time before a core group started using it to collaborate.  Feel free to use it any time and if it really takes off can up the avail user count up on it.  

Wanted to offer as many features as possible including this that has never been used on other sites.  

I use teamspeak also for gaming. Mainly for Run-8 and use the Senhiesser 151 units listed above. They are ok but I will be upgradeing to a much better set shortly. Only because those units sit on your ears and not around them and over a 2 hour period or longer they can become uncomfortable. That said the mic and sound are quiet fine.

Good to know. I personally use the Sennheiser PC 360 which is their top of the line ($250).  Extremely comfortable and headset & mic quality is unmatched.  For the purposes of the train forums I was trying to suggest something most people might be willing to invest in.

• 9 months later...

What is going on with TeamSpeak?  Got on tonight and mentioned trains and the three individuals on there bailed on me!  Looking at their "Names"...  I doubt that they have anything to do with railroads or modeling!

Charles

Thank you for letting me know, I have cleaned things up and booted them off the server permanently.  Will keep an eye on things.  If you find anyone else there gaming or not there to discuss trains let me know.

Not sure when our guys are on the TeamSpeak Channel...  Does any of our train buffs even use it?  Went on their tonight and there were three dorks on there under a heading "Fuck Trains"....  My guess is they aren't our folks...

Thanks for your help...

Charles

P.S.  After working in the jail system for over 15 years...  It kills me how "tough" these guys are on the internet!  :)

Not sure how many use it from the site, it's there if folks here ever want to discuss something voice for free. (Good for chatting overseas)  The latest group has been banned permanently by TS ID, User Name and IP address.  Just give it time and we will cleaned it up.  Just drop me a line anytime you see someone out there like that.

Not sure where you live in Australia but the time difference could be anywhere from 11 - 14 hours!   Hmmmmmmmm  Could work....   My morning = Your late afternoon....   My late evenings = your late morning   (Don't even want to figure out what day it is!  (Tomorrow?)

:D

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Just made one additional update to the server which will keep this TS server off the global TS server list.  This should be the last step to keep random people off the server.  Should not have this problem any longer.

• 6 months later...

• 4 months later...

• 10 months later...