Snow Blower

Screwy Nick

Sean, Ivar, Jerry and all others interested.  I just thought I'd start a new topic so we can all share info in the same place.

Ivar, you haven't posted anything since sharing your accomplishments, I'm sure you have made new progress that I am anxious to see.

Jerry, have you thought more about adapting the racing car engine to the impeller??

MYi progress will be much slower.  I seem to have forgotten some of the ideas I neglected to put on paper.     I am attaching a pic of the rough cutting of what I refer to as primary vanes, which hopefully will direct the snow into the impeller and then out. I am reproducing something from a pic of a real operating one.   I honestly have no idea if it will work at all on our scale.    Time will tell, but I have a long way to go to even try it. Balancing that will be a whole other matter. LG     

post-9-0-48952000-1445016490.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Nick, I have not looked at it. May did out the parts soon and see what I have to do. Will have to make an adapter to mount the blade to the  motor, guess that's about it. Then figure mounting the motor to the snowblower itself. Guess I might take a look at it, seem low on railroad projects currently!   I will just use the vacuum cleaner blade, since it will be balanced. Have to trim it down a little to fit in the housing I made from a plumbing fitting pipe.

Jerry, fully understand, certain projects do take priority over others.   I spent most of this summer building a chicken coop and run, and the girls aren't even due to arrive till next April.  Weather being what it's going to be,  I'll be pretty much stuck in the house/shop,  I am back on TRACK with train projects and making progress.

Please keep us abreast of your progress.       thank you.   

Jerry, I can relate to that.  I sometimes am looking for something I had in my hand barely an hour ago.  

I decided the scale I'd use is 1:20 since the new Accucraft LS 28T Three Cylinder Shay is geared very low and will creep along while putting power to the rails.   I most likely should R/C the loco for better control.  AND to add to the project, since I will be modeling it in the Steam Era, I should build a tender to follow the Blower.

I think I should first make sure the blower will function as I've designed it before adding to a project that seems to be expanding with each Idea.  

If predictions are correct I'll have plenty of snow to test with, provided I can get that far by then,  I'm trying!!! 

Not much news here. Have got the brass for making blades on the rotary head. Had to bend them in the right angels, and then soldering.

Had to find a place to do the silver soldering. May be in the garage.

Much to do outside with not rr related, before ice and snow arrive. Have a lot of firewood to work with.

Have also started to work on the Yaquina Lighthouse in 1:29. I would try to make some of the cast iron parts on it, casting them in pewter.

Had to make them in plastic first.

Guess I could just use the blade that is on it, may look into that, but like Ivar other things are on the line. Mowed today and a few other chores.  Sold the dash 9 I used in the past to help push the snow plow(it does have motorized trucks also). Wil fix up my RS-3, has a broken cable to hook the battery to.

• 3 weeks later...

I got back to the snow blower.I replaced the old drill motor setup with a electric radio control car motor that someone else said they used, on some forum.

I got some sleeve bearings and a 5/16" bolt that I cut the head off. Bearings are held in some brackets I cut from perforated angle. Tried my best to get everything lined up good, but seemed a little off. Then remembered I had a u-joint so put that on and it ran pretty smooth.  Spins pretty fast, using a 18 volt battery, not sure what the voltage is on the motor, but it does not run all that long anyway.  You can see my original blower setup on my web page, hit the projects button and it will show up on the left side.  thescrr.com

post-49-0-55567200-1446850924.jpg

post-49-0-33454200-1446850931.jpg

post-49-0-05111300-1446850943_thumb.jpg

Here is the original setup before I put on the body. Old 12v drill motor, chuck held a bolt that went to the blade. If you ran in reverse it might unscrew! Old motor did not turn very fast, even with a 18v battery that Ron Senek suggested I use. That helped.

post-49-0-72502800-1446851401_thumb.jpg

Jerry, I glad you posted pics.  When you said a race car motor I assumed it was an internal combustion engine, now I understand.  

My progress is very slow.    So far.   Way short of blowing anything.  I had originally thought of using the impeller motor that came with the battery vacuum cleaner that was my first subject of the project.  Since it was only designed to move air I didn't think it would really do the job with snow.  The motor in your post must be more powerful as it is made to move gears and tires.    

post-9-0-54644000-1446922848.jpg

Jerry, in addition your post reminded me to get BBings for the shaft.   I have a lot more to do before I blow any snow, or even saw dust.  I am hoping to design and construct the shoot and diverter from the brass I got last year, but only time will tell.   Thank you for the inspiration to continue.    

Please keep us informed of the progress and success of the change.     

I had used an 18v battery with the old drill motor. I think this motor spins to fast with that high of voltage, so will cut it down some. Not sure what volts those race car motors use. 7.2v?  maybe 9.6? I used to race gas powered 1/8 scale r/c cars, but never did the electrics.

Cool short video of the Cheyenne snow blower I copied for mine.

https://youtu.be/jE3fzqlCOB8

Here is the original setup before I put on the body. Old 12v drill motor, chuck held a bolt that went to the blade. If you ran in reverse it might unscrew! Old motor did not turn very fast, even with a 18v battery that Ron Senek suggested I use. That helped.

Attached Thumbnails
  • RotChassSide.jpg

Funny that looks familiar!

trainsnowblower001.jpg

Sean, they do look familiar as we all are copying from Ray's original design in one way or another.  In some cases making enhancements of our own. 

Jerry,  McMaster Carr said I would receive my bearings tomorrow,  can't beat that service.  nick jr

I'm sure you both are correct, Ray's double vane unit is the first that I had seen, no date that I can recall.      

Jerry:  i just received a magazine about model air planes, but I doubt the motors they advertise are as powerful as the kind of motor you are using. 

Today I am going to ATTEMPT making a Directional Shoot at the top of the blower assembly from brass.   So far only on paper.    LG

Was hooking everything up today, but the motor would not work with any battery over 9.6 volts. Had been spinning fast with 14 and 18v. Could I have damaged the motor and now it only will run on 9.6 volts?  TIred of messing with it, will go with that and see what happens.

I'm sure you both are correct, Ray's double vane unit is the first that I had seen, no date that I can recall.      

Jerry:  i just received a magazine about model air planes, but I doubt the motors they advertise are as powerful as the kind of motor you are using. 

Today I am going to ATTEMPT making a Directional Shoot at the top of the blower assembly from brass.   So far only on paper.    LG

I found that a shoot or directional diverter was something to slow/clog the snow from exiting the unit.

My unit has nothing ... to change snow discharge direction ... I reverse the impeller rotation .. has worked so far with out problems. :D  I also have no protruding handrails or indents like windows .. I fine that snow will stick to them.

Yesterday I received the Ball Bearings as McMaster Carr said i would, can't do business with better people, and at VERY reasonable prices.  

Sean, appreciate the advice, but must try for myself.   I've learned a thing or two from the snow blower I use at home. And  possibly Jerry's use of a higher RPM motor may be one of the answers.  

I Have about half of the directional shoot built, but still have a bit to go.   If I make any progress today I'll post something.      

Jerry, when frustration sets in,  time for an adult beverage and to look at something else.  And if I may? is it a brushless motor?    LG 

This is the motor I'm using, found it that 7.2 volts is what it should have. I have a 9.6 in there right now. Reading about the motor, I guess it has good torque. Does not seem to spin to fast and I sort of have to get it going with a spin. I probably burned something up, so found one on ebay for $10. Here's a description of it, but I did not buy it here.:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-trucks/rc4wd-540-crawler-brushed-motor-55t-rc4ze0003/p260754

Jerry, thanks for the tip.  It certainly looks powerful and at 6800RPM I believe that to be fast enough to really give that snow a real kick.  I'm still not finished with the directional shoot, and with the leaves I doubt I'll get to it today either.  But my interest has been revived.  

EDIT:  found a motor in my catch:  I'm sure some day you'll see me on 'Hoarders" as when it comes to the hobby I throw nothing away.   Not sure what it came from but when I went on line it described the many things it was used for.   RS-540RH is the part # on the motor.   

I doubt it stacks up as good as the one you described, but it will give me a place to start, and cost me nothing to try   LG