Snow Blower

Screwy Nick

After some thought I figured the best way to tackle two things at the same time, more weight and more power.  I ordered two more Gel Cell batteries which will add another pound of weight to the car AND add even more power to the rotary blades.  Another modification is in progress to allow the additional batteries to fit.  Nothing serious, just an extension of the drive shaft and moving the motor more to the rear of the car.  

Jerry, have you done anything with yours recently??    

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While  making the stalls for the additional batteries I need to move the motor mount bracket.  while doing so I drilled holes for more cooling of the motor and aligned the motor and rotary assembly much more precisely.  This alone dropped the amperage draw by 1/2 amp and also almost doubled the run time, on the bench.   The motor didn't get nearly as hot as before, and only became even warm to the touch after 45 minutes of running.  The additional batteries will not only add weight but even longer run time.  The meter readings shown are after 75 minutes of run time.  After the additional batteries arrive, all I will need is snow, but don't think that will happen till next year.   Thank You

post-9-0-89733500-1455895991.jpg

post-9-0-48521800-1455896005.jpg

post-9-0-50101700-1455896019.jpg

While wiring for the additional batteries, realizing all the power I now have, I couldn't resist the temptation.  Installed lighting in the coupla, the marker lights and installed a headlamp using resistors and LED's.  The additional switch on the back controls the newly installed lighting separate from the rotary control.  I also installed a distribution block that is sturdier than the termination block on the Pulse Wave circuit board to make battery charging easier and less likely to damage the delicate board.   LG

post-9-0-09003100-1456221213.jpg

post-9-0-58171900-1456221225.jpg

post-9-0-20643100-1456221236.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Today's snow fall was again very wet and heavy. First attempt was another failure. I designed it so the blades would have the ability to be adjusted on the plow. Adjusted them further outward to grab the snow instead of letting it pile up against the plow. I was rewarded with the results as the attached pics attest to. Even when the snow was gathering at the plow, it still threw the chunks. Again not so much success with the pushing locomotive so had to use the 0-5-0 loco again. I'm happy with the outcome, LG

post-9-0-47526900-1457114874.jpg

post-9-0-05876100-1457114887.jpg

Sean, I do appreciate your praise, just didn't know what that face meant, there seem to be so many.   

To expand on my last posting:   I realized a flaw in the ability to adjust the blade assembly.  To adjust the blade I would have to cut a drive shaft to the desired length, which I did on the last test.  I think I can make it better.  Building a sliding shaft as on a logging locomotive seemed to be the answer.  The adjustment can now be made right on the track for the type of snow by just loosening one screw and moving the blade assembly in or out.  An additional benefit is it also gives movement of the motor shaft and lessen the stress on that assembly.  I think I have run out of things to do to make this the best I can, but always open to suggestions.  

Thank You.  

Sean, I do appreciate your praise, just didn't know what that face meant, there seem to be so many.   

To expand on my last posting:   I realized a flaw in the ability to adjust the blade assembly.  To adjust the blade I would have to cut a drive shaft to the desired length, which I did on the last test.  I think I can make it better.  Building a sliding shaft as on a logging locomotive seemed to be the answer.  The adjustment can now be made right on the track for the type of snow by just loosening one screw and moving the blade assembly in or out.  An additional benefit is it also gives movement of the motor shaft and lessen the stress on that assembly.  I think I have run out of things to do to make this the best I can, but always open to suggestions.  

Thank You.  

post-9-0-38911300-1457460261.jpg

post-9-0-93950400-1457460271.jpg

post-9-0-14304500-1457460283.jpg