Snow Blower

Screwy Nick

Sean, the springs are just a further way to hold the assembly in case of vibration.

I think you will be very disappointed with what I am about to say.  I think I am going to scrap the box car totally.  I've had pics of another G scale snow blower on my wall for quite a while. I posted my pics on another forum and the author of the pics liked the pre-vanes I made and responded.   I took a closer look and saw the car his was fashioned from  seemed to be made from the same caboose I took the coupla from.   He said he didn't make it, but purchased it from an un-named person.  Shouldn't be so bad to adapt the blower assembly to another body,  and if possibe take your advice and have the connecting brackets inside of the assembly.   Lets See What Happens.   just ehances to the name huh??      Screwy Nick  

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sean, it will take less time to modify the caboose as I've already had the experience of doing it to the box car, and can almost use that as a pattern for what to cut out of the decking.  Give me a few days before posting the change.    Thank You.       

Jerry, the ones I ordered are 360' flexible,    BUT   BUT  what I am about to post wouldn't bode well for me at a sanity hearing.

Since I am going to transfer the rotary assembly from the Box car I have been working on to the Caboose I recently decided to use, I thought I'd also amend the housing of the rotary assembly.  I looked all over for a flat reducer 4" to 2" and was only able to find the tapered ones like I have.  I decided to go back to square 3 and make one. Took a 4" cap, drilled it to fit a 2" coupler, aligned as best as I could and glued it in place.  If it is centered I can easily remove the rotary assembly and hopper from the Box car and put it on the caboose, after I cut off the end so I can move the door assembly to one side of the car.  In addition this will elevate a lot of the destruction of the floor and base of the car to connect the assembly and drive.  And this will allow me to take Sean's advice, move the attaching brackets inside the walls of the car.

This journey has taken quite a detour.     LIFE IS GOOD.    Screwy as Always

post-9-0-00347400-1450203282.jpg

post-9-0-14308800-1450203290.jpg

post-9-0-50018900-1450203301.jpg

I used a flat clap and drilled a hole in the center for the shaft sleeve bearing.  Here you can see the setup, the shaft comes through into another sleeve bearing so the shaft is supported. I put a set screw in the u-joint that I thought was not going to work, but seems okay. It had a set screw on the other piece. Had to drill out the threaded end and put the set screw in it. Anyway 14 volts really makes it spin FAST, so may use 9.6 which is what the motor is rated for. Snowing now, but rain also, so probably snow will be too wet tomorrow, but will give it a try!  My pusher locomotive is a RS-3(rotary also has powered trucks) but it is torn down for repairs. All done, so may try to slap it together tonight.

ROTARY%20PLOW%20NEW%20MOTOR.jpg

Jerry, I added the 2" coupler so I could reuse the BB and rotary assembly as is.   After removing the divider from the coupler the whole rotary assembly just slides into place, and I lucked out as it is centered.  

No snow predicted for here for a while, but please post your finished product and snow blowing activities.   LG

post-9-0-53605100-1450270392.jpg

post-9-0-17558900-1450270400.jpg

Well we had freezing rain before the snow. I did have a board over part of the track to sit it down on that did not have ice. Ice was not smooth, was quite bumpy. New motor worked fine, seemed that the snow was not really coming out in a stream, so perhaps the blade was spinning too fast? Might go back out(had an dental appt) and see. I have a switch so the motor can go both directions, didn't seem to make any difference.  Used to stream out with the old motor setup, but that was going slower. So will try the 9.6 volt battery and see if the slower speed improves anything. Blower motor did not bog down at all.

post-49-0-80049900-1450287269_thumb.jpg

Speaking about snow removal:  this month's edition of PS mentioned that NY Transit defrosts switches and 3rd rail with jet engines.  This is the only pic that I found that even looks like it may do that, sorry, tried and tried but just couldn't add the pic to this thread.

Speaking about snow removal:  this month's edition of PS mentioned that NY Transit defrosts switches and 3rd rail with jet engines.  This is the only pic that I found that even looks like it may do that, sorry, tried and tried but just couldn't add the pic to this thread.

post-981-0-05152400-1450440258.jpg Like this? :D

I think the New York Central used to do that as well.

http://www.hazegray.org/rail/snow/other/nyc01.jpg

-Kevin.

Dieseldude, that looks like it would propel a train if put at the end, looks very strong.

Jerry:  sorry the freezing rain messed things up,  so have you come to any conclusions.   Also I received the U joints, and they are works of art, I still don't understand how they could make and ship them for less than it cost me to sent a 1 lb post from S jersey to N jersey????

I attached a couple of pics of the new car I am using. Took more frame mods than the box car as the truck had to be moved back to allow it to swivel, but I really like the results.   Also going to reuse the hopper assembly from the old design.  I'm glad I used screws to assemble the other one, made it so much easier to transfer parts to this one.

Sean, the attachment screws will not be visible as they will be hidden within the hopper, I happy about that.    I'm having fun,   LG     

post-9-0-80440300-1450622717.jpg

post-9-0-02617300-1450622761.jpg

post-9-0-23842300-1450622771.jpg

Jerry, I also hope it works, time will tell.  

What makes you think your blade is part of the problem??  If you were  trying to blow Freezing Rain that's a whole different thing than Snow that you've had past success with, I don't understand??  

And that blade i made is nothing more than angled brass soldered to a center nut, nothing that you can't do.    LG 

Same blade as before, with the old drill motor I would get a stream of snow out, didn't seem to get that this time. Might have been the snow/ice. Possibly the higher speed, so if we get snow again, I'll try a lower voltage battery. Maybe should fit a motor speed control.

Jerry, please keep us informed.  

To add why I liked the 2" coupler and sleeve was so I could adjust the blade in or out as the density of the snow would determine. AGAIN don't know if any of this will really work, but it's fun doing it.       thank you.   

post-9-0-02822800-1450633211.jpg

Changing gears AGAIN:  original thought was to propel this with a 3 CYLINDER LS shay.   Ran it yesterday afternoon, and with the low but not very cold temp it was very difficult to raise and keep a good head of steam.   Sitting on a shelf right in front of me is a Bachmann 3 TRUCK shay that I converted to battery and RC a while ago.  going to go with that.  Learning that the train has to be the same temp as the surrounding air,  how long before running should I put them outside??   Concern is the cold degrading the battery.   All responses appreciated.    Thank You

Earlier in this thread I mentioned I was going to try the 'new to me' UV adhesive.   So far I have only used it to secure nuts to the areas of the body of the car that I will not have easy access to when making modifications and am very happy with it so far.   I haven't used for more than that, but if others have experience with it I'd like to  hear about it.  Pics of what I used it for. 

post-9-0-61378200-1450718960.jpg

post-9-0-94055000-1450718980.jpg

kevin:   the adhesive is only to hold the nuts in place that will make it easier to install the part with SCREWS,  I'm not nearly as dextrous as I used to be,  pics attached.   My problem is I put things together and then take them apart again, WHY???      Please give me special dispensation if I use it in that circumstance,            WAIT, I will also ask for a pass to use it in the future to add small detail parts where screws are just too big,  like grab irons, etc.???

Jerry, I'm hoping you do get snow and can post your findings,  but here in Joysey it doesn't look too promising, but then again I'm not near a testing phase.    

PS, I just moved the shoot and diverter to the new assembly.     LG       

post-9-0-02638500-1450808787.jpg

post-9-0-69715400-1450808800.jpg

Very small and only cosmetic progress.  Taking from a pic of another modeled Rotary Blower that I liked, I installed the door that was removed from the front to the side, and do like the look.  I still need to add other details like grab irons etc, not to mention a drive assembly.  I also removed some of the rear porch, but left the whole length of roof in place to protect the crew.  The plow will be followed by a small tank car for fuel.    My theory is to make it seem like the rotary assembly is diesel powered, but still pushed by a locomotive,   

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL,     LIFE IS GOOD

post-9-0-23163400-1450987387.jpg