Aristo REVO with basic diesel sound

markoles

Hi guys,

I'm a long time g-scaler who has adopted the aristo revo system in mid 2009. I've really enjoyed the simple installations and operations. I have jumped on the new revo with diesel sounds and will be installing this in one of my alco diesels. Just so you guys know where I'm coming from on this, I've used the Phoenix 2K2, LGB digital sound, and Sierra sound systems with good results. I am expecting that for a hundred bucks or so, I'm getting diesel sounds that will be on par with the bachmann big hauler steam sound. In other words, not prototype specific sounds, but sort of a roar roar sound to go along with a triggerable horn and bell. That's all my 5 year old is going to care about, anyway!

If you guys are interested, I can keep you posted on my opinions and findings. It is not my goal to influence any of you, so if I get all excited, please don't take that as anything but that: excited.

Mark

Thanks again Mark. Please do keep us posted and share your experiences here. We would like to see what has been started on other forums to be continued here. Also, please feel free to share any feedback regarding the site and user interfaces if you have any in the Web section.

Webmaster

Mark, I would love to hear how you make out with the new Revolution receiver. It certainly sounds like it has promise. As near as I can figure, with RLDHobbies prices, you get the soundboard for about $7 above the former cost of the Revolution receiver. It is VERY hard to beat THAT price!!!! Anyway, I'll be anxious to hear how you like it when you get it up and running.

Ed

Hi Mark, That does indeed sound like a interesting and cost effective way to get some sounds! Do let us know how it works out for you!

Funny thing as just the other day I was watching one of your 2012 open house videos on You Tube and it looked like everything was running smooth..Great job :)

I've heard both the diesel and steam sounds on video and I thought they both sounded pretty good. They may even sound better in person. I think for the cost they are a very good value. I personally wouldn't want all my locos with the same sound but perhaps one or two of each would be a really cost effective way to add some what I think is very decent sound.

Joe

Hi guys.

OK, quick update. I installed the revo on saturday morning. Here's my set up: I have a non-plug and play FA-FB that are hard wired together. Essentially, the REVO is driving four motors. Sound comes on and the unit runs smoothly. Looks like they added two small capacitors to the board, so no need for the 6 cap board, which is nice. SOund is pretty good. You get some starting sounds (bell and horn) and you hear the engine rev up and down some. When you slow to a stop, you get a pretty good brake sound. Overall, I think it sounds fine. THe only thing I had to do was go in to the auxiliary function set up and LATCH function 1 (The turn on function). Once that was done, the sound stayed on.

Field testing showed a bit more. I'm driving 2 speakers (and Jim pointed out that they should be the same resistance, I have no idea if they are or not). The sound would get a little choppy at full volume. Going to the mid setting or low setting (there are 3 settings for volume) reduced this effect.

I like the horn and bell. No problem. I do wish the horn had been a real time horn, but it is OK for now. I can always turn it off.

For the REVO itself, on my track powered layout, the 2 caps built in to the board appear to be doing a good job of bridging any of the minor power losses. When I first had the REVO in my mikado, I would keep losing connection until I added the 6 cap board. This is a nice change they've made.

Overall, I would buy more of these. As time goes on, perhaps they'll be able to improve the system and add capability/flexibility to them. For now, it works.

Hi Mark, That does indeed sound like a interesting and cost effective way to get some sounds! Do let us know how it works out for you!

Funny thing as just the other day I was watching one of your 2012 open house videos on You Tube and it looked like everything was running smooth..Great job :)

Chuck, thanks! Things on the railroad went a lot smoother this year as compared with 2011. I attribute that to having improved my trackwork. The weather could have been better, but there's no controlling that. The trains (most of them were visitors) ran great, too. Mixed battery and track power. Nice to have flexibility.

I think he's comparing that price with the older prices for the REVO. Apparently, RLD has these for sale at $89. I think I paid about $75 for the REVO at the ECLSTS from Robby, but when I added the 6 cap board, that pushed it up to the $90 range. I think that's where the $7 comes from. Ed, do you agree?

Mark, actually I purchased my last REvolution receiver from Robbie from his store and paid $82 for it. Now he says he will sell the new one with sound for $89. That is where I got my $7. Sounds like you got a better price at ECLSTS than I did via phone call with no specials in place.

Ed