One Gauge Ribbed Daylight Cars

RRX

Hello,

I am new here.  I first dabbled in G gauge in the early 80's.  When I put my trains away, American models were finally starting to appear.  Over the years, every now and then, I have peeked at what was out there.  Recently I satisfied my dream of a GS-4 in Daylight colors. I decided to go with the MTH One Gauge version and have some ribbed style cars to go with it.

I would like to ask for opinions on a couple of things.

I have an area that needs to be touched up.  Does anyone know of a paint that matches the factory orange color?

I would like to add more ribbed style cars to my consist.  Where is the best place(s) to keep an eye out for them?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

KC

I hope Ray gets to see this and maybe can get a lead on some extra cars for U.

Look at some of the scratch building posts for who's into painting on this forum. I just painted my CSX ones with rattle cans. They didn't need to match exactly.

I believe the polly scale line was bought by someone and is coming back to production. There was a post about that too. I would bet they'd have a close paint color. Sometimes you have to do a little customizing to get an exact match.

MTH is currently working on their next run of SP Daylight passenger cars so sometime soon I will have them available.  1 car, 3 car set and observation car.

Outside of the polly scale paint I have heard of folks taking their items in and having them color matched (via electronic process) at local places that sell paint and can make custom batches of the kinds of paint you can use for modeling.  I'm not sure specifically where to recommend.  Maybe do some calling around.

Oops!  I just noticed that I wrote, "G gauge".  I meant to write, G scale.

Thank you for your responses.  I will explore the possibility of having the paint matched.  As for the cars, unfortunately for me, both  MTH and Accucraft's upcoming Daylight cars have smooth sides.  

KC

I had good luck with the Tru-Color brand matching MTH's version of UP yellow. They come thinned for easy airbrush, but I used a Preval sprayer that worked fine.  I guess I'm in the market for Daylight cars also, just got the locomotive and love it.

Thanks for the Tru-Color recommendation.  Also, you're lucky to have the new run of cars as an option.  I've locked myself into the ribbed sides, so I don't have much in the way of choices.

KC

Daylight coach baggage. Here's a real easy way to create a ribbed side (would work for smooth side also) coach baggage car to fill in where MTH left off. (IE- no baggage car available). I took a painted MTH coach, stripped it, filled in a bunch of windows, then cut out an opening for the baggage door. I cut the door out of some sheet plastic, rearranged the interior seats, put some Gary Raymond wheels under it, and added KD body mount couplers. I'm just waiting for the decals to come back. The car number is SP 3302.

post-66-0-77349300-1448740892_thumb.jpg

Nice car Jerry. I can't make out the number of the car. Do you leave the "skirts" on all your U.P. passenger cars. Really looks nice. Too bad MTH didn't make a baggage or a dome. Seems like they would sell a couple of hundred baggage cars.  Everyone who has MTH passenger cars would want one.  If we can do it, why can't they?  Larry

I made a dome car. Got a USA dome part(Kidman's) and cut it down some. Cut the roof and fitted it on. Made a box for the passenger compartment(no stairs), put in some seats and people.MTHdome1.JPG

Cut down some to match the width of the MTH cars.

MTHdome2.jpgMTHdomeFit.jpgMTHdomeFit.jpg