MTH Big Boy

Tom51

It depends on kinds of cars you are running and the personal perspective.  When I was making the decision on what to buy I wanted coal cars for my big boy train and wanted a lot of them.  Because I wanted so many cost was a factor and ended up with the Bachmann coal hoppers (which are even larger than 1:29 and are 1:24 or 1:20 dont recall off-hand) and liked the overall look, size and price. 

post-16-0-46709100-1448582644_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-45874400-1448582645_thumb.jpg

I also liked these hopper cars because I felt they looked good with my 1:29 scale Aristocraft Dash-9s:

post-16-0-16738600-1448582958_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-57853600-1448582926_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-47963900-1448582927_thumb.jpg

Another rolling stock I run is the Aristocraft Heavyweight which is supposed to be 1:29 (some argue it is somewhere between 1:29 and 1:32) but are my favorite set with my MTH Challenger and think they look great:

post-16-0-77654200-1448582646_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-35392800-1448582648_thumb.jpg

If you were to get some 1:29 scale box cars I think depending on the car they can look a little big behind a 1:32 Big Boy and vice versa.  So from what I've seen it really depends on the car and design.

Raymond

I have a lot of aristo and USA cars including 4 heavyweights to run with my Pacific. from what I see all should be ok. I am looking hard at the new MTH BB to buy.  Need to discuss with Ray and others if it will run on my setup,  running track power between 18-20 volts with crest revolution if possible to match my other 3. thanks for all your advise, all is appreciated  tom

I have a lot of aristo and USA cars including 4 heavyweights to run with my Pacific. from what I see all should be ok. I am looking hard at the new MTH BB to buy.  Need to discuss with Ray and others if it will run on my setup,  running track power between 18-20 volts with crest revolution if possible to match my other 3. thanks for all your advise, all is appreciated  tom

Should be no reason why you won't be able to run the MTH BB with Protosound under DCS with the Crest revolution at the same time.

Sean:  ;)

If I sold off my 1/29 scale stuff, I'd lose half. I want all 1/32 but it has not been made. I would like modern 1/32 scale only. Because there is so little modern available, I bought all the other stuff that I passed on in the first place. I just ordered more 1/29 scale AML Bethgons. I like how they look. I'm going to run them behind my 1/32 Dash 8s.

I would have preferred 1/32 scale but Accucraft chose to go after what's popular I guess? (w/ AML line up)

If it weren't for a lot of the offerings by Aristo, AML, and USA, I probably would have left G scale. So I mix them all to get what I want to run.

If MTH would have released Premier line cars in 1/32, I would have bought them all, and maybe nothing else.

I came to MTH sort of late. Got a good deal on a Hudson and the controls and got hooked on the detail/sound/smoke. Been picking up the engines as I can. Just bought a MDC reefer, nice color on it.  I like the looks of the 1/32 scale on my small layout, a long train does not overpower and looks nice, I think.  Plus all the engines are small enough to carry. I had an Aristo dash 9 I could hardly carry, sold it back to Marty Cozad.

Out of the box the Challenger does not have the same pulling force and is lighter than the the Big boy.  The Challenger and the Hudson were MTH's very first steam models that they produced and MTH used plastic body/boiler and plastic frame (with weights) for the Challenger design.  The Challenger did not have any sort of suspension between the front of the boiler transferring weight to the front engine set so as a result the front engine set will lose traction fairly easily.  (This is why I have weight transfer suspension and weight addition modifications on my Challenger Modification pages.)  So because the front engine set doesn't have enough weight on it(and thus loses traction) the engines's overall pulling force is reduced.  Even stock the engine can still pull a good deal of weight, but once you add a front suspension and some weight to the front it pulls very strong.

The Big Boy came later and reflected lessons learned with the Challenger.  The Big Boy has solid metal die cast drivers, all diecast metal frames (front and rear engine sets) and had a weight transfer suspension between the front of the boiler and the front engine set.  The die cast frames alone added a significant amount of weight to both engine sets and most importantly the front engine set which as a result of the die cast construction can pull very strong.  

Pull force comparisons: (On stainless steel track)

MTH Big Boy:  Pulls about 7.5lbs avg pull force  (Has traction tires)

MTH Challenger: Don't recall exactly for stock numbers but it's close/same as the Big boy with added weight and suspension added.    (Has traction tires)

Aristocraft Dash-9: ~5lbs (two weights) (Model does not have traction tires)

Aristocraft Mallet: ~3.5lbs stock weight  (Model does not have traction tires) 

Thanks Ray!

I saw the numbers posted on your website. I didn't see anything for the Challengers. I have several of them. This will be my first BB though.

I modified my first Challenger way back when I first saw your pages. Just adding a spring made a big difference. I believe the front (engine) used to just spin and not pull much.

I got my dash 8 used(as all my MTH engines). It did not come with the parts to fix the front so it did not pivot with the trucks. I cut that off, I think, and screwed it to the frame and mounted a Kadee820 to that. On the rear truck I mounted a 820 to the truck, so it is not body mount.

post-49-0-98043600-1449679698_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I bit the bullet and ordered one thru Ray. cant wait to get one. called MTH and they said production has not started but the BIG BOY is one the schedule, whatever that means.. Looked at some MTH  triplexes and with aristo cars it does not look bad to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I came to modeling US railroads late and wanted to use live steam locos, so I started out in 1/32 and stuck to it. I guess it's easier for me because of that late start, as a matter of fact MTH triggered it as I had wanted a GG 1 since a long time as it was one of the only mythical american engine which I had known in regular revenue service.

What really gets me mad is not that much people who mix 1/32 with 1/29, I can understand that since there was so much 1/29 the stuff around all these years, what I really find shocking is people who mix in their trains 1/32nd, 1/29th scale and narrow gauge cars in 1/24th or 1/22nd scale in the same train. You see a lot of that on You tube and it is quite shocking as the narrow gauge cars were built quite differently from standard gauge cars and  an experienced eye picks it off immediately, spoils the show for me. Real narrow gauge railroads like the D&RGW and the EBT ran standard gauge cars with narrow gauge (the first on three rail trackage the other by changing the trucks on the cars) but that was all in the same scale, not a "mixed scale" train.

But frankly try putting an Aristocraft heavyweight behind an MTH GG 1 and you would be surprise at the scale and size diference in both height and width. I guess with the huge tenders on UP articulateds it doesn't show that much but on an ordinary engine, brother, it show up all right! Don't forget those two locos were monsters. And of course there is the important argument that 1/32 is the correct scale to gauge ratio for standard gauge.

Of course this is just how I feel about this I am not trying to preach in the desert.

• 4 weeks later...

While I was at the big train show this weekend, I spoke to a MTH company man and he indicated that the BIG BOY is in production and they will be ready in May or June for shipment. This is the second time I have contacted the company, this time in person and both times I was told the same thing, I hope it is true and they seem to be honest in this respect. I cant wait till I get mine.