MTH DCS Wifi & App - Troubleshooting steps / Support / Feedback / Issue reporting

Rayman4449

I have reported two issues to MTH via the DCS app so far for the new Premium app, one regarding no whistle under lash-up (*Work around exists by changing engine type to Diesel on screen 3 - 4/18/17*) and another where second and later devices on same account will not unlock features as it should (*Which now works on all devices - 4/18/17*).  They have been noted in the first post in this topic.  

If you have issues, please report them via the DCS app.  To report go to "More..." then "App Settings" then App support" and submit the report via the web form.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update my TIU and remotes to 6.0

Updated app and purchased premium on my Iphone.

Very nice to finally be able to control my switches from the app. Really couldn't use the app to run the layout last year without this. Nice addition that the app remembers the position of the switches. I am disappointed that I could not find a way to change the order of the switches. I was rushing a bit to get set up but my experience was it sorts them by output number no matter what order you enter them. It is confusing to have the app have a different order from my remotes.

Tried a lash-up with my two dash-8's. Setup was a pleasant experience and everything worked as expected after setup. Once I did a shut down of the lash-up and did an engine read or refresh though the lash-up went to the inactive list and I could not figure out how to get it back active. I assume they have at least provided a way to get the lash-up back active but I could not figure it out in my short time playing last night. It is pretty easy to delete and recreate a lash-up but I hope there is a better way.

I was disappointed when I went looking for documentation specific for the premium app functionality. While the documentation has been updated with some of the added functionality, I found nothing about lash-ups. The standard DCS documentation was not helpful as the app functions differently. Hopefully they will get this updated and it is very handy to have the link to the documentation right in the app.

I have three android devices with premium version all on one account. Yesterday evening I tested a lash-up with a F-3 Diesel in front and a Hudson in rear and used my Samsung phone which was the 2ond device for which I purchased the premium version.  Creating the lash-up was easy, and every feature on the engine page worked perfectly-even the whistle (actually a horn in this lash-up since the lead engine is a diesel).

However, with the lash-up active, neither the 2ond page (features) nor the 3rd page (settings) would appear when I touched their page icons on the engine page.  The screen went  blank on those two pages.  Does this mean that these pages are locked out?

I read your comments Ray on this issue and saw that you have reported it to MTH.  Was I seeing the same thing you saw?  Has it been fixed?  Will the fix require an update to the premium version?  This evening I will test the first device to see if it also blocks those pages.

thanks in advance.

What I reported to MTH was whistle issue for steam in lash-up (and I now have noted the workaround to set as diesel on third screen).  MTH confirmed with me directly today they were aware and will get it corrected.

Regarding the blanked-out second screen... yes that I have seen.  I have not seen a blanked out third screen, only limited items listed compared to single engine operation.  

Speaking to what I saw specifically, it is either 1) more work to be done on those features in lash-up, or 2) they were seeing an issue related to them in lash-ups and left them out or 3) they dont intended to have access to those features in lash-up.  I'm not sure which at this point.  My initial assumption was they weren't going to have those features accessible but given that they do allow access and triggering of some of these functions with a DCS remote in lash-up has me thinking there is a specific reason to leave them off or limited which could be to avoid some issues they were seeing.  (Screen 2 could be a bug but I dont think so)

Thanks Ray for relating your experiences.  One wonders when seeing something odd if it is unique to his particular system or if everybody else is seeing the same thing.

On the "More" tab page, in "Advanced Features" there are four things:

Record/Playback

Import/Export

Recover Engines

System Settings

Please correct me if I'm wrong or explain the things I don't understand, but this is how I interpret these:

Record/Playback is for recording and playing back a running session. I'm pretty sure this is what it does.

Import/Export- I have no idea what this is.  I don't remember this on the hand held remote.  What is this!

Recover Engines- I don't remember this on the remote either.  Sounds useful, but what does it do?  Is it possibly for making unresponsive inactive engines active again?

System Settings- Hide E-stop button, Max Engine Speed Lock, TIU settings.  self-explanatory. No doubts here.

Sure thing.

Record/Playback:   Yes this allows you to record a full set of commands and sequences.  Records everything, Change in engine speeds, whistle, bell, etc between the time you start recording and stop.  

Then you can playback once or in a loop.  The feature eliminates the need for magnet triggers to trigger bell/whistle on the layout so you can have a playback session to have whistles etc play every so often. 

Import/Export:  Will allow you export settings, engines stored on one app/device then use that file to import into another device to update it to mirror the original device.  Also will allow you to keep a backup of all your settings etc in case something happens to your main device.

Recover Engines:  This allows you to recover an engine that has lost its address ID number.  (Not something I have ever encountered myself.)

Thanks Ray.  The Advanced Features sound like things we won't be using very much.

By the way, the kids (me included) love the microphone feature on the hand-held remote.

I don't see this feature in premium.  Is it there?  Do you think we could use the device's microphone with the Protocast feature to behave like the remote's microphone?

(Once I stopped a little kid who's curious hand was stretched out from derailing my engine by yelling on the microphone "Don't touch me!")

Ray,

Thanks for the help with the lash-up. There do not seem to be any up arrows with the IOS app. After clicking Edit there is a "hamburger" icon (3 horizontal lines) on the right side. You can grab an inactive engine by the hamburger icon and drag it up to active engines. Just clicking the hamburger icon didn't seem to do anything. Also my statement about the switches was wrong. The "straight" and "switched" icons just remain in the state you last left them. They are are not remembered for each switch as I thought.

Just tested and it corrected the steam whistle not playing in lash-up.  Can also confirm that when you do a 'Read/Refresh' on engine list it automatically moves engines and their associated Lash-up to the active engines list.  

Not sure what else they addressed with that release.

Well now that's cool!

John, Not to get off topic here but I visited your website yesterday and Wow!! Nice layout and I do like the buildings all painted black!! And a scale tree house/ village!!!

21 hours ago, Dennis K said:

Ray,

Thanks for the help with the lash-up. There do not seem to be any up arrows with the IOS app. After clicking Edit there is a "hamburger" icon (3 horizontal lines) on the right side. You can grab an inactive engine by the hamburger icon and drag it up to active engines. Just clicking the hamburger icon didn't seem to do anything. Also my statement about the switches was wrong. The "straight" and "switched" icons just remain in the state you last left them. They are are not remembered for each switch as I thought.

Dennis, keep us posted if you get this resolved and I'll update the issue log here on the first post.

Guess I wasn't clear. I consider it resolved as I discovered you can drag engines from inactive to active. I don't have the app on any Android devices to compare but I am thinking it just works differently in the IOS version.

MTH confirmed the procedure is different in IOS vs. Android. I'm sure they are constained by the way lists work in the given OS. Bonus is i learned something new in IOS that may come in handy for other apps. 

• 6 months later...

I decided to try another device since someday I discard the remotes. I had previously loaded the premium app into my devices

(and charged for both and extra $25 for the tablet that I expect should be refunded?).

So today I try my tablet for the first time to make sure it can run trains. I found that the app is missing several features that are on my phone?

I can't set the max speed for example and other stuff is missing on the settings page. Only the top 2 things are available there.

here's a picture (tablet on the right):

DSC_0049

and guess what! ( for anyone following my problems)

The tablet won't find the Z6 Challenger that's in slot 12. I keep pressing add MTH engine. It comes close and will have a #12 on the screen sometimes. then it always says no engine to add. The picture above shows that same engine running with my phone.

The tablet did find both diesels on channel 2 of the same TIU and I made them into a consist. It ran those fine.

I just can't set the max speed or other controls on the settings page.

Maybe I didn't get the full app loaded???

Edit: Well, I must be wrong about MTH upgrading the newest app?

I thought we could now control consists like max speed, acc/dec rates, etc.? I guess not?

Volumes on trailing units are all up full? (horn, bell, etc.?)

found the source of all my latest issues in the basement. I should have known but I forgot. The TMCC base interferes with my O scale 2 rail DCS signal. The TMCC is on a separate 3 rail loop and it's own TIU. They share a common Z4000 transformer.

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2017 at 9:26 AM, Rayman4449 said:

On the engine list screen, press the word 'Edit' at the top right and you will see up arrows to the right of the lashup name.  Press that up arrow and it will move it up to active list. 

Having a bit of a problem myself.

Using iOS and just updated to the premium app and updated the Tiu to ver 6. Here are 2 issues I’m having.. First as mentioned before, I cant move inactive engines or lash ups to active. Because I’m using iOS there is no arrows but the hamburger deal. I can drag the item up to active but it does not stay and  snaps back to inactive.. and secondly, the speed control does not stay at a certain mph value, you can click up to say 2 mph for example but then after that the speed drops to zero automatically. This happens when dragging the needle on the speedometer to a certain speed when you remove your finger, it returns to zero.. the engines on the track do move, but then stop when speed is back to zero..

ive tried restarting app, cycling power on tiu and wiu.. any suggestions? Sry if this was answered already and I missed somewhere.  Thanks 

Make sure your app version is 3.0.1 build 47. The build might not display on IOS devices.

There were flaws that were fixed with this build. The previous 3.0.0 would not run lash-ups.

This is the first I've heard of your problems. I will keep an eye out for more solutions.

I would also think that if the app does not see the member engines of the lash-up, it will not allow it to be active. ( I have not tried this.)

Do each of the engines run when called on with the app?

trainroomgary posted:
MTH RD posted:

Update - just so nobody thinks they are crazy, we found Google changed their default release policy to a slow roll out.  They intend this to help in the event a new app has major flaws.  Distribution is done in stages and can be stopped earlier if problems are identified.   So, because of this, it is entirely possible that some of you were able to download the new version 3.0.1 build 47 while others were not.  This was not our doing but, sorry for any angst it may have caused.  We changed or distribution setting back to full release and now everyone should have access.

Hi MTH Rd - Thanks for solving this issue with the Google Play Store.

Need clarification: My Google phone only show version 3.0.1  /  It does not show anything about "Build 47" .  Am I OK with the App, only showing version 3.0.1 ?

Yes.  Some devices may not show the build number while others do.  The world of Android is incredibly variable in comparison to iOS given all the different devices and manufacturers.  The version number will always change with an update as well as the build number.  The latter is just further confirmation and used internally between released revisions.

from the OGR post about the new app version from MTH:

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/dcs-app-update-released-12-8-17?page=2