MTH DCS Wifi & App - Troubleshooting steps / Support / Feedback / Issue reporting

Rayman4449

**Updated 12/8/19**

This thread is to provide users Troubleshooting setups/tips and to provide feedback and any issues they may find in their operation.  

See the bottom for the list of current issues encountered, dates, etc.  If you are seeing similar issues I encourage you to report them via the app on your device.  Provide as much detail as you can, like using Android, PS2/PS3 engines etc.   

Also, be sure to report any bugs or issues to MTH directly at:  https://mthtrains.com/dcs-app-contact-form 

*Please be sure to provide the device you are using, version of the app operating system if you have it and version of TIU if known.*  

Original MTH WiFi Control app thread:  www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/35-mth-wifi-control-app-wiu-wifi-interface-unit/ 

Troubleshooting Steps:

If you are having WIU related issues/errors, performing all of the following steps in order should clear the majority of problems: 

• Power down WIU, TIU and Power supply:
    • Turn off power supply for track power
    • Unplug Aux power supply from TIU Aux power port (if you are using one)
    • Unplug the power connector from the WIU
    • Note:  Let everything sit unpowered for a few seconds.
  • Turn on power to WIU, TIU and Power supply:
    • Wait 1 min for WIU to fully boot up
      • You should see the following lights: (after 1 min)
        • BLUE:  Wifi network indicator
        • PINK:  TIU is connected indicator
        • GREEN:  WIU power indictor
  • Unplug USB cable from TIU:
    • With WIU, TIU and track power supply on (allow for 1 min for WIU to fully boot up), unplug the USB cable from the TIU and confirm the PINK light on the WIU goes out (Pink=TIU light on WIU).   (If Pink light does not go out, plug back in and unplug again)
  • Manually close the DCS app in the Phone/Tablet:
    • Android:
      • Access the currently open tasks/programs on your device using normal process. (For some devices you will look for the square button at the bottom:
        • Example #1: (in GREEN)  DCS-Wifi-Android-tasks2.jpg.431e9f6711316f1a28e0207f3cf4133d.jpg
        • Example #2: (In GREEN)  DCS-Wifi-Android-tasks3.jpg.311fe7da62b9b6ae325df354598ce140.jpg
        • Note:  your Android OS may be different from what is noted above.

• Next you will see multi-layered windows where you can then find the DCS app and press the X at the top right of the DCS app to close.
    • DCS-Wifi-Android-tasks.jpg.9830f54662fdc82a0240edaaa9279fff.jpg

• Reboot Phone/Tablet:  (Power device off and power back on)
    • After device powers back on, wait about 30 seconds to fully let device boot up, then verify that you are connected to the MTH Wifi network swiping down from the top of the screen and long pressing the Wifi icon:
      • DCS-Wifi-network1.jpg.5c649ac723b93ffc149ec1760f2b37ba.jpg

• Confirm you are connected to the MTH Wifi network:  (Your MTH network name will vary)  (Default Password is: mthdcswifi
    • DCS-Wifi-network.jpg.497d33f18dd3e5165875993cc6cc8b9e.jpg

• Start the DCS App again: 
      • Start the DCS app by selecting the MTH DCS Wifi icon on your phone/tablet

*****END of TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS*****  - Everything should be working. 

• If still having issues:
  • Ensure your TIU is loaded with the latest TIU firmware: 
  • If you are using a cheap, no-name brand tablet then you may find the operating experience is very buggy and inconsistent.  I STRONGLY urge using a well-known, name brand tablet like Samsung or Apple.
  • Adding engine issues:
    • Track signal related problems: where engines aren't being found to add into the app have to be addresses separately (checking track joints, layout wiring or layout tuning)
    • If you are trying to add MTH/DCS engine to the app and an address number shows up then disappears, then you likely have 2 engines on the layout with the same ID number and it is confusing the app. 
      • Isolate the engines that aren’t yet added in the remote on a separate track (with no other engines on the track) and add them to the app one at a time.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************  

Demo & Overview of the Wifi app:  (Standard version)     (Select 1080p HD to get max playback quality)

Items to note:

- Whistle not playing on start-up: (On engines with Playable whistles)  

- This is something MTH actually covers in the WIU Users manual.  Currently if you turn playable whistle on in the settings screen then shut the engine down.  The next time you start the engine up, the whistle won't activate unless you go into settings and toggle the Playable Whistle button to off (or back on again if you like).  While it's not technically a bug, MTH has indicated they will be updating the app to default the Playable Whistle toggle to off when the app is shutdown/started to correct this issue.  I have also made the recommendation that the Playable Whistle feature be automatically toggled to off whenever the user hits Start-up to help eliminate this issue completely.  You can also just double tap the whistle cord on the screen to toggle between Playable and Regular whistle function.  (Cord will turn Purple when on Playable)

Issues list (Currently open):  (Updated: 03/10/18)

- Lash-up & Engine name change (DCS Wifi App bug) (3/10/18):  

• If you create a lash-up and then later attempt to rename an individual engine (used in that Lash-up) with the App/Remote, the next time you go to select and startup that Lash-up, the DCS App will automatically change the name of the engine back to the original name the engine had when the Lash-up was created.  The work-around is if you change the name of an engine in the App that is also in a Lash-up, you will need to also delete the Lash-up and recreate it.

- Lash-up engines not responding to commands (DCS Wifi App bug) (3/10/18):

• Engines other than the lead engine in a lash-up may not respond to commands when you start a lash-up. 
    • Work-around:
      • 1st step:  Manually move all engines back to Active, that are automatically moved to Inactive when you select/startup a Lash-up.  Moving all the Lash-up engines to Active can sometimes ensure they will respond.  You can then go back to the Lash-up engine name and see if all the engines will respond.
      • 2nd step:  In some cases step 1 might not work.  If so, then you will want to select the other non-lead engines individually and select STARTUP to start them up that way.  You can then go back to the Lash-up engine name and they will now respond.

Issues list (Fixed):  (Updated: 04/20/17)

Version v2.0.0 build 36 (Premium version release 4/18/17)

Version v2.0.0 build 37 (Premium version release 4/20/17)

- Unlock Features on additional devices: (Android) (Reported: 4/18/17   Fixed: 4/18/17)  

Upgraded first device to Premium and all features unlocked.  However on second and later devices under same account am unable to unlock Premium features.  

Selecting Purchase again returns Error message it is already purchased but then does not unlock the features.  This has been reported to MTH via DCS app.

- No whistle under Steam or Steam Turbine Lash-up: (Android) (Reported:  4/18/17  Fixed:  4/20/17)  

No whistle under steam or Steam Turbine lash-up.  Created a lash-up with 2 PS3 engines under DC power and after startup cannot get whistle to play.  

Work around for this issue is to go to the third screen and select Engine Type of Diesel.   This has been reported to MTH via DCS app.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

My name is John Carmichael.  I live in Tucson Arizona and am a new member to the G Scale Train Forum, although I've been a huge fan of Ray Manley and his superb website for a while.  His tips and repair work have saved me hundreds of dollars and much frustration over time.  The Forum members' postings are proving to be quite helpful too, and I thank you all!  I hope I will be able to return the favor with a few useful postings of my own.

Here is my first post: Solving a TIU update problem so I can use the new WIU)

Using Ray's DCS Consumer loader instructions, I easily and successfully installed the new loader onto my Windows 8 pc.  But when I tried to update the Rev L TIU using a USB cable, a message popped up that said it was looking for the TIU on the COM 3 port.  After several minutes of waiting and retrying it was obvious that it wasn't going to find it.   Then I remembered a similar problem I had years ago with the Phoenix Sound program.  It turned out that my pc's default bit rate for the COM 3 port was set too high at 9600.  On the pc's device manager under the COM 3 properties, I lowered the COM 3 bit rate to 4800.  That fixed the problem and let me update the TIU software!  (Ray, you might want to add this solution to a troubleshooting section on your website's TIU update section if others have this problem)

Ray sent me a a new WIU unit yesterday so I hope to thoroughly test it and report back to you all soon with the results.

thanks for everything,

John

p.s. You can see some photos and videos of my layout (The Cholla Patch Railroad) at:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/jlcarmichael/

John Carmichael

925 E. Foothills Dr.

Tucson AZ 85718

USA

email: jlcarmichael@comcast.net

Greetings!  I received my WIU today and found a glitch.  I am using:

- Android Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with the free MTH app

- TIU Rev L

- I used the MTH WiFi

I was having a joyous time running my train when I noticed the bell would stop working when I used the horn.  The bell icon stayed engaged until I turned it off.  

Hello DCS fans:

I got the WIU today!  It is scheduled to rain here all week long, so I’ll need to wait until things dry up before I can test it with my Triplex on the track. 

Meanwhile I’m studying the WiFi DCS User’s Guide to prepare myself for the testing.- available at http://mthtrains.com/sites/default/files/download/instruction/50as13515i.pdf   A printed copy doesn't come in the WiFi box which only has the little Quick Start Guide. I think it will be most helpful to save a pdf copy of it on your tablet and/or smart phone for quick and easy reference while you are running the trains, especially if you don't have an internet connection.

Note: There was one section of the WiFi User Guide that seems a bit problematic and not at all user-friendly.  It's called LuCI (Web Interface) pages 9-14.  It's mostly about how to update the WIU software.  I assume that we can disregard this for now since the WIU units are brand new and probably don't need updating.  I wonder why MTH didn't include WIU updating in the new Consumer Loader 5.0 so that it can be updated just like the TIU and the remote with a USB cable?  Maybe they will do this in the future...

Ray- Have you tried to follow the complicated LuCI (Web Interface) instructions yet? Were you successful? Are we missing anything useful there? I haven't tried it yet.

thx

John Carmichael

Thank you for sharing the link and info, I will get the link added to the first post above and the other thread.

I have accessed WIU configuration (LuCI) and it has all the look and feel of a standard Consumer wifi router.  Because I have spent so much time working with my routers between updating(due to replacement with updated models) and configuring it's a process and look I'm familiar with.  Most people I would guess only access these screens like this once or twice to setup a new home router then don't think about it ever or for years at a time so it may not be something they are that familiar with.  Fortunately I found the instructions well done and straight forward.  As far as updating the WIU firmware I suspect this won't be something we will have to consider doing very often or with the frequency we see with say the DCS version that is loaded to the TIU and Remote.  The WIU update process is again something that mirrors that of a standard home wifi router.  Perhaps we will see WIU updates included in the DCS Consumer Loader application for the PC but it may not happen anytime soon.  It may not even be feasible given the overall architecture and if it does end up that it's not updated very often (if ever) then there will be a low motivation to include it.  My guess is that it's not really feasible given the rewrite of the WIU router code that is likely required.  Overall I wouldn't worry too much about this part of the configuration.

In my case I updated my WIU SSIDs to have unique names and setup my own passwords for both connecting via wifi and also the Admin setup pages for good measure.  

As a note, I'm running 2 WIUs (one for main layout and the other for the test bench) and have both connected via ethernet cable to my home network.  For anyone looking to do that (most I suspect wont) just take the WIU out of the box, connect the Ethernet cable to your home router/network, USB cable, Antenna, and plug in the WIU power cable.  (do the same for each one)   When the app first starts it looks for available WIUs.  I would hit the Refresh button once for every extra WIU you have on your network.  So if you have 2 WIUs, hit the refresh button once to make sure the App has found it.  After that, any time you look for new engines it will check with each WIU/TIU and report them back.  You can then add them to the Active Engine list.  Quick and easy.  The Wifi app has made multiple TIU setup/configuration easy as it takes care of it for you.

Hello All:

Yesterday I thoroughly used the MTH WIU Wifi unit for the first time.  It FAR exceeded my expectations.  What a pleasure and how fun and easy it was to use!  I'll make a prediction- This will change the model railroading experience forever as other companies try to imitate the MTH control system.  It makes all other remotes look and act like antiques- even the MTH handheld remote. Here is a brief summary of the test results...

Setup: I tested it using both a Samsung Galaxy smartphone and a Samsung Galaxy tablet with the Standard version WIU and a Rev L TIU placed 4 feet above ground next to my layout

Ergonomic Impressions: I thought I would like using the app on a 4 x 7.5" tablet more than the smart phone because it has a bigger screen and would be easier to see the app with my bad eyes, but I was wrong. the smaller smart phone was far better.  The phone felt much better in my hand and I could read everything without my glasses. Also, the phone was easier to carry around the layout and I could operate most of the functions with just one hand. (You need two hands to use the tablet unless you lay it down on something.) Also, the bright screen of both the tablet and phone makes running your trains at night much easier than using the MTH handheld remote and having to keep the light on.

Range: No problem here!  I controlled the train from everywhere in the large yard, even around the corner of my brick house, and from inside the house.  I couldn't test it farther than about 150 ft or I'd be out in the street.

Learning Curve:  Honestly, the WiFi app is so well designed that almost anyone could use it without any instructions.  I love it that all the app functions are written in plain English without the abbreviated words that the handheld remote has. Finding the features you want to activate is much faster and simpler than the old remote that required all that button pushing back and forth from the menu. It is incredibly user friendly- much better than the remote.

Favorite Features:  When you activate a feature (lights, smoke, etc) the app icon changes color so you know if its on or not. For example, with the old remote I never  knew if the engine smoker was out of oil or if it was turned off. The "speedometer" indicates if you're in forward or reverse. All the function icons do this. Very Helpful!  Another GREAT feature is the "cruse control."  I love being able to set the speed I want and the engine goes to that all by itself. - no scroll wheel with lots of turning. You know all those sounds options that MTH has (idle sounds, engine sounds,etc)? On the old handheld remote it was a cumbersome procedure to change the sounds, especially if you couldn't remember the three letter code for each sound.  Now they are all easy to find and written in English.  I heard new great sounds coming from my Triplex that I'd never heard before!  One last thing- Since the WIU works using either the old remote, a phone, or a tablet, I'll never need to buy another MTH remote if I want to run multiple trains with friends.

Glitches & Bugs: NONE FOUND!!!

One last thing.  I had a friend over who is not really a big train enthusiast and I gave him the phone to run the train.  He got hooked on it and was like a little kid.  He said never had so much fun.  I really think this app will draw kids and newcomers into the hobby.

LOVE IT!

Hello All-

I received my WIU from Raymond while I was on vacation over the holidays, so it was waiting for me when we returned.  WOW!

First Impressions: Very nice!.  MTH did a nice design mimicking the TIU but without the TIU size.  Packaged nicely and consistent with DCS packaging.  I would have like to seen a printed manual but was able to obtain via the Internet. 

First Setup:  I have an older TIU (an original) and had already upgraded to 5.0.  Thus, I already had a USB to Serial adapter.  In talking with Raymond, we figured that if I could upgrade the TIU with the adapter I had, it should work with the WIU, and it does.  My plan was to hook into my home network.  My home network does not have WPS enabled, so I proceeded manually, which wasn't problem.  I used the Ethernet port with the network set to MTH ("Set the MTH/HOME selector switch to MTH (I know, it seems odd, but trust us)").  Note, I did not have the WIU connected to the TIU and was still able to configured the WIU without a problem.  In retrospect, I should have just followed the instructions on page 6, "For Routers that Require Manual Setup (no WPS feature)."  But in the end, WIU was up and running connected to my home network.  I assigned it a static IP, I don't think this matters since the app searches for the WIU based on broadcast.

First Run: WOW!  I added my 2 engines (I am a holiday hobbyist in O) and was up an running in seconds.  And as stated, it does everything the remote does (short of the Premium features).  As a matter of fact, it does it so well, now my wife and kids run the trains.  I must say, MTH did a very nice job with the WIU and the APP, hats off to MTH and their vision and design teams.

Issues: I have not run into any.  I did loose my network connection once from my iPad and had to use the remote to stop and shut down the trains, but that's explainable and not an issue with the WIU.  I have not seen the WIU loose its network connection.

Summary: This is a GREAT addition to my holiday layout and set.  I agree with the posts above, it is easier to run from my phone rather than the iPad, but my wife prefers the iPad.  She puts the PRR 2-8-0 #2819 in proto-cast mode and the next thing I here is the Polar Express sound track coming from the engine.  In the mean time shes blowing the horn of the PPR NW2 #9171, making all sorts of racket sending the cats running for cover.

Again, I must say, MTH did a very nice job with the WIU and the APP, hats off to MTH and their vision and design teams.

Craig Bartkowiak

Whats Next?  A miniature GoPro for the front of the Engine that has a window in the App display???

Helllo All:

I came across an O gauge forum which is also testing the MTH WIU for bugs and issues. Even though their gauge is different, the issues they found should be about the same.

I found their discussions fascinating. Seems that most of the issues they are seeing involve issues with the software updates, and with engine recognition, especially when trying to connect to multiple engines at the same time. I have not experienced any of the things they describe, but I haven't tried linking to multiple engines yet.

I have a feeling that some of the issues they are seeing are due to not updating correctly or linking with the wifi  or not understanding the User guide instructions. Others might be legitimate issues.  Hard to tell.   What they really need is an MTH expert like Ray to help them with their issues!   

Here is the link to them: 

MTH WI-FI Module issues | O Gauge Railroading On Line Forum  ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/mth-wi-fi-module-issues 

Reading their O gauge forum might help people in our forum with similar problems.

John Carmichael

• 3 months later...

Well this is frustrating again!

All I get is TIU not found. The quick start guide said to go to the settings, and connect to the mth wifi network. I couldn't find that in the app? So now I download the full instruction sheet, and it says to do this on your smart phone device. Duh, simple right. MTH always burns me by leaving out words in their instructions.

So that's a problem that I fixed now. However I still can't get it to read the TIU? I tried rebooting everything and that did not work. I hate new stuff!!

Joe,

Probably should send me a PM or email me so we can work offline and not have 3 pages of back and forth.  Something is missing here and just have to figure out what it is.

Is your TIU updated to DCS 5.00?

On your Android device, hit the left button at the bottom of the device to the left of the main center button and close out the DCS app and restart.  

Once you get it working, I recommend you make sure you have Power Save turned off.

What device are you using?

Very very sorry. Some quick troubleshooting took place as the remote wouldn't work either? I found that I snapped the copper black wire off at the TIU input #1 that also jumps to #2 channel.

After fixing that, I had to reset the app to connect to the MTH network again. I searched for engines and got TIU not found once again. However looking at the app, it now showed an engine. So I selected it and it started right up and ran fine!!!

So the basic free app doesn't show a way to trigger the Triplex's smoking whistle differently. Does it do it automatically or do I need the premium app?

I have several devices to use. I'm starting with a HTC phone. I have the TIU out in the shed so it's not connected to a router. I can either run a cat 5 cable to the house or just buy a second router if needed. So far, the WIU is working OK. I need to test the range of it across the whole yard.

I haven't looked on the Triplex smoking whistle feature.  Since you will be upgrading to Premium, go ahead and purchase the Standard version for 4.99 and when the premium comes out you will only pay the difference to upgrade.  That way you can have the version with the most options and capabilities for now.  

As you said I would just use the WIU wifi as is.

The basic app doesn't do a whole lot. You can basically run an engine. Some of the controls are locked. I need to find the comparison page of the basic vs. the upgrade ($5) app. Do I have to buy the app repeatedly for every control device that I use?

I have the smaller Samsung tablet and a HTC phone. Reading others replies makes me lean towards the phone???

The first page on this thread has the general explanation of what each version of the app can do.  You're going to get the premium so just get the $5.00 Standard version now.  

You only have to buy the app once.  On every other device you own you will (or can) have the same account and the app will recognize what you have paid for based on the account it was purchased from.  So for all other devices with the same account login, you will have the version of the app you paid for for no additional charge.

I personally so far have liked the phones.  

Thanks Ray. I unplugged everything as we're getting foul weather tonight. I don't want the track grounded when there's big storms.

The system worked great all day. The phone seemed to communicate better (and faster) than the remote, if that's possible. I have signal threw the yard but not inside the house. That's pretty good for running out there and seems to be about what the system did. Maybe the WIU is better with less drop out areas than the remote.

I also read somewhere about activating the variable whistle. The basic app must not do that. I can't find it yet anyways. I will upgrade now as $5 is not an issue. I want the grandkids to be able to use their phone or tablet when they come over to make it more fun for them as well. I read that a kindle may work.

Ran into a glitch today. I was adding extra engines even though the app can't run them together. I figure I'd have them loaded anyways. I was adding my fourth or fifth engine to the app. It's a MTH dash 8-40CW NS. It added OK to address #3 which was unchanged I think from where it was in the remote. I started it up OK and it ran. There was no horn or bell? This engine was last used in consist and those would have been muted. As I looked thru the app for the sound controls I noticed the app had reverted to the last engine run and listed it as inactive? I scrolled to the engine list and there was nothing listed for the NS in #3? I re-added it and that worked. So I was trying the feature reset of the engine and it worked as the volume went to full? But the engine was gone again?

So I re-added it once again and turned the volume down. I pressed the horn and bell and they both were still silent? The engine ran back and fourth OK and it shut down when asked to.

I added another NS -8 narrow nose and that went as expected after the incident.

I'm not sure what happened in your case but I haven't seen that.  For the app to have moved it to inactive it would have required an attempted refresh or add of another engine or something and it not detect the engine you're talking about.  It wouldn't have just done that from just browsing through menus.  Something else most likely happened or was done.

As far as bell and whistle not playing, I haven't seen that either but that's what I would have done was go to the sound menus and updated the sound volumes to make sure they updated the commands that they be on.

I talked with Barry B. and he said that's a bug. So try to feature reset an engine and see if it gets removed for you. The first time I tried, the engine did not respond but that would explain why it did disappear. Maybe it didn't get the command? The second time it got the command, and still the horn and bell are silent. I may try and reset it with the remote.

In your original description of what happened, you indicated you added the engine, went to the sound menu and then it was listed as inactive then was gone.  (There was no mention of attempting to do a feature or factory reset in these steps)  That's why I was saying something else happened.

I do believe I have seen where a feature reset removed the engine from the list and needed to readd it to the Wifi app.  I believe that is the bug you are talking about which in this case means that it is acting like a factory reset.