Gloves in Roundhouse Tool Kit

Screwy Nick

Roundhouse provides a Tool Kit that has a pair of gloves to use while working on hot locomotives.   Well, I just put them aside till today.  I've been cleaning the hobby room, stowing gear adrift and tossing stuff like paint that has dried beyond use.  I also needed a 'steam fix'.  Fired up the K4 and found I needed to balance the burners.   ANYWAY,  used the gloves and found I no longer burn my fingers while adjusting the valve that controls the steam to the tender heater, the red one.  Never too old to learn, especially if it's what others already know.  

EDIT: also enclosing pic of the 0-6-0 tender heater valve, not much room even in a one burner locomotive.  LG

post-9-0-07411600-1460136949.jpg

post-9-0-17421400-1460136960.jpg

post-9-0-61108900-1460140804.jpg

Nice engine Nick. Cleared out my train shed that is out by the layout, sort of. Room to move my live steam engines out there,, but may wait for warmer weather. Not looking too good for next week. Surprised at how many gas cans I found out there. Have not steamed much the last few years , just a couple of times per summer. Have not done winter runs in ages. Getting old....

Jerry, getting old is not a bad thing, beats the alternative.

Just went to REI and bought 9 16 oz cans of Isobutane/Propane Fuel mix, should last me at least 2 seasons.    

Are you going to leave your LS'ers out there all winter too???     Winter runs are very difficult, that's why I installed tender heaters in those locomotives,  and even then they just don't run like in the summer months.  That is one reason I ordered the G5 from Bob Clark, the Ceramic Burner.  It produces more heat than the poker burner.  I don't know how it stacks up to the meths burners and doubt it produces as much heat as coal, but I'll be ready when the summer is over.    LG