Stainless H & R Trains

Yardtrain

Did any else get this email

Subject: H&R Trains Stainless Steel G Scale Track

Sir-

Attached is some information on H&R Train's Stainless Steel track. We are currently taking orders for the track. The track is being made as we speak and has a NO later than arrival date of 1 July 2016. If you wish to place and order for the track, H&R Trains requires a 50% deposit. Also attached is information on the all aluminum G-scale bridges. Please call when you are ready. We look forward to helping you build your G scale railroad. 727-526-4682

--

Very respectfully,

COLIN MORRIS

H&R Trains

"A Model Railroader's Paradise"

6901 US Highway 19 North

Pinellas Park, Florida 33781

727-526-4682

Online Store: www.HRTrains.info

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with H & R stainless track. The biggest thing that makes me apprehensive is to preorder they want 50% down! No way would I do that. That's a significant amount. Along with H & R has a new owner. Expected delivery is July. If it's like most of the model railroad manufactures that's date is meaningless. So I will wait for now and see if it actually arrives to the store.

Some time ago I purchased a sample (after I had bought all my Aristo SS track) and was extremely impressed with how beautiful that rail was.  The rail has an excellent profile and is near perfectly extruded and to me actually enhances the appearance of the layout.  

Here are the comparison photos I took:

post-16-0-46662300-1462634018_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-92169600-1462634061_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-26198000-1462634061_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-59384800-1462634062_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-23587500-1462634060_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-60269400-1462634059_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-93298500-1462634058_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-29142300-1462634057_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-21279600-1462634063_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-64241400-1462634274_thumb.jpg

I will probably never redo my layout because of the work involved but if I had to do it over again I would probably go with HR rail despite the higher cost.

Ok ;)  I do actually have 8ft Aristo SS straights in tubes in storage if you ended up wanting straights that long.  If you go with 8ft pieces you will be more likely to need to make cuts but you will have a nicer look with fewer joints which is why I went with them.

• 4 months later...

I just got off the phone with H & R Trains about their stainless. They said the latest info they got from the mfg. is the end of October. 

The new owner will be in tomorrow Saturday October 1 after 11am  in case anyone wants to get better details. 

Colin 727-526-4682

I got rid of all my SV code 250 stainless as I didn't like it....just looked too small for me and the gauge between rails wasn't consistent...as in it would tighten up in spots where some loco's had troubles navigating it. Personally I say code 250 is for the fine scale crowd.   

Actually Jerry code 250 is pretty close to that famous PRR classic 150 lbs rail which is known in model railroad circles to be the heaviest used regularly on mainline class one railroads (although I wouldn't be surprised if  the C & O, Virginian and N & W used some too). I use Tenmille on my outer track which is code 225 which I beleive corresponds to 130 lbs rail used on most class one roads.

You are right though to explain that scale rail size (and ties also) does a lot in acheiving realism in the garden railroad. As originally I was modeling strictly French prototype, which standardise on 20 tons per axle and therefore use lighter rail (usually on heavy duty mainlines around 50Kg/ meter pretty near 120lbs per yard rail) I used originally a code 215 rail which could be found in France easely. It was so maleable that I opted for concrete sub base road bed. It has worked out fine over the years although my layout is in clayish soil which shifts quite a bit. There is very little maintenance because of this. As some portions of this inner track which is scratchbuilt is now over 38 years old I have started on a tie replacement program to place one tie between two older ones, this in turn makes my tie spacing look very much like US track. I do 7 meters every year, and am 2/3 done.

• 3 months later...