Tank Heater for an old Mogul

Screwy Nick

Thought I'd share a simple tank heater for an old Accucraft Mogul.  It was designed to run out of gas before water, and it did when I first got it.   I learned that keeping the fuel from cooling, as is normal with expanding gas, will go a long way to keep it flowing.  I did nothing more that squeezing a heat conductor between the boiler and tank.  The tank never even gets warm to the touch, but never gets cold as it used to.  I now use a Goodall valve, not shown, to get much longer runs.  Sometimes the simplest things work quite well.   LG

post-9-0-61817300-1462123510.jpg

post-9-0-02706900-1462123533.jpg

post-9-0-78875600-1462123554.jpg

Sean, thank you for the compliment.  I've also made tank heaters using steam from the boiler fed to the tender.  But simple is the best answer sometimes.  Here's something I cut from a simple piece of aluminum bar stock, fits tightly between the burner and the bunker, does a fine job as well.   Just warm enough and never getting hot.   

post-9-0-99977700-1462196624.jpg

post-9-0-76166300-1462196647.jpg

If I may add, realized the old Mogul didn't have a screen over the poker burner, so I installed one this morning.  Between that and the simple tank warmer I had to keep turning the volume of gas down as the run progressed.   LG