MTH GS-4 Freedom Train (w/Protosound 3 upgrade)

Rayman4449

Did a test video of the GS-4 with the new PS3 upgrade and PS3 sound.  (Engine has the GS-2 nose from my GS-2 engine)

Items to note with this sound file: 

• Standard steam whistle sound
  • Playable whistle with three levels of whistle
  • Crossing sound with Air Horn (unique to the GS class engines)
  • Crossing sound with steam whistle 

Wow that sounds great! And I'll bet it's even better in real life--I know that's been the case for me; I feel like all my engines sound better in real life than on video.

By the way, how did you trigger the station stop announcement sounds? And would that be something that can be triggered using DCC?

Thanks I've been really happy with these upgrades.  The overall sound quality under PS3 is excellent and the voices are crystal clear.

On the station stop announcements I was using the Wifi App to control and triggering what was listed as the 'Custom Sound' line items (these can be triggered with the DCS remote also).  On triggering via DCC that is something I need to check.  I did get the MERG system all built (Thank you again by the way :) ) I just need to confirm how to wire them up and I may be able to do the testing myself.

Man, I can't believe how much used ones are selling for. MTH usually does things to keep the value. If they wait much longer, they maybe missing out? A new PS3 release, should do real well right now.

I would think that the extended functions would be accessible with DCC, sounding these extra sound clips. As long as You had the right controller? (higher function numbers?)

I'm also guessing that one could/might re-assign them??? 

• 4 weeks later...

Not so sure, description says:

"1:32 scale proportions,suitable for indoor and outdoor use, operates with most AC and DC power supplies, operates on any standard 45mm guage track"

(45mm commonly called G gauge and 32mm O gauge)

Pictures show MTH One-Guage boxes...

I was going by the 3-rail description  and up on top the listing of model trains, then it goes on to O scale, then other O scale.  Who knows?  But as Bob pointed out it does have 1 gauge boxes, and mentions large size.  Could be a good buy, with the description and weird listing.  OR, you get this O gauge one for 3 rail.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats!!!  I tell you that Freedom Train set is a really good looking train when you get the cars etc!  It may not seem obvious from photos but once you see it in person it is really sharp!