Mister Rogers tribute Neighborhood Trolley AMATEUR build.

So after getting married in December, my wife FINALLY decided to let me have my man cave in our new home we share. I had quite the setup at my place in my single life. And by "Man Cave", I mean "cave for a child trapped in a man's body". If you aren't familiar with how Adam West accessed his Batcave, you'll never find my room.

That being said, I told her I've been dying for a project, as I hadn't done a thing, since doing the sliding bookshelf, Shakespeare bust, and accompanying batphone on a desk.

So I was trying to find something on Netflix one sleepless night when I saw the cardigan and sneaker wearing man we all have loved since childhood. Bingo! I went on eBay and found a brand new Bachmann G gauge open street car for a mere $3 more than I planned on spending for a motor I wasn't all that thrilled with, but was the cheapest I could find. Let me just let the record show that I am NOT a train hobbyist, nor a professional builder. I just get bored and like to make random stuff. So after countless trips to Walmart, and what VERY few places there are locally to get things for crafts and hobbies (they all have a pathetic selection), my trolley finally arrived today. I immediately began breaking and cutting it apart. Here is what I have so far. I am still waiting on a few more pieces I ordered to be delivered. Entirely by ironic and totally coincidental accident, the trolley shipped from Pittsburgh, and tracking on the remaining pieces say they will be delivered on this Friday the 13th. Props to whoever gets the two connections. I didn't come up with a blueprint, I'm just feeling it out as I go. That's my style. And I'm not exactly trying my best either. I'm just doing this for my own entertainment. My projects for myself tend to be a little more relaxed than ones I do for others. Here is the work I did in roughly two hours today. There's a few other parts I've finished, but they won't be put on until after paint.

Also, a couple posts only appear to be slightly crooked. I swear they're perfectly straight. Also, the roof is only held on by gravity in the shot. Gluing that will be the absolute last thing I do, aside from remounting the power truck and barring any paint damage during final assembly.

I also wish to add that mine will EVENTUALLY have a working bell, and I will put a whistle sound effect in the setup as well. I also plan on sacrificing a $12 Daniel Tiger neighborhood trolley to rip out and modify the mechanism that makes the bell "ding" as it rolls along. (I had NEVER heard of Daniel Tigers neighborhood until this week when I started Google searching for info and references for this build). Once it's completed, a couple slabs of Plywood, paneling, and studs, and I'm going to build the bench Mr Rogers sat on to bring his out. Once the wife and I have kids, I will run the track outside and around the blue castle playhouse I'll build for them. Anyone care to guess how I will signal them to leave the castle and come back in the house? I am entirely serious about all this.

And sorry for the pics being out of order.

post-1237-0-95685700-1463047568_thumb.jp

post-1237-0-97676400-1463047655_thumb.jp

post-1237-0-06385600-1463047714_thumb.jp

post-1237-0-83052700-1463047775_thumb.jp

Looking good. My Bachman trolley's drive mechanism died and so have many others, so may want to check it out good and perhaps get a different drive. Not sure what fits, I never did fix mine.

Thanks for that info. I appreciate it. I got the whole thing for $75 and I was thinking I would be spending more than that on just the motor. I'm really not gonna be using it all that much. I guess you could say I'm doing this just for my own good. I have a need to be productive and work with my hands and I haven't been able to do squat in over a year now. At the risk of sounding cocky, it's turning out better than I expected

It is completed as of about 3 hours ago. I was unaware of your reply, or I would have kept you posted. My apologies. All I gotta do is fix a few minor paint imperfections (not one single drip anywhere though) and I will eventually make the top signs longer and perhaps 3/16" skinnier. And I couldn't wait to throw track out and play with it, so I filmed the test, had my fun, and put it on a shelf near my desk for now. Not one of these pics or the video were filmed where it's being left for all the adhesives and paints to properly cure. The ones where it's still where I painted it, it's not assembled, everything's just sitting there as a mock-up 

Hope to start on the bench in the coming weeks, provided I have a place to put it lol. VIDEO0011.mp4

IMAG0112.jpg

IMAG0113.jpg

IMAG0114.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Hey all..... Sorry for the lack of updates..... I never even got a chance to start on the bench, and the trolley needs a TOTAL rebuild. Long story short, my wife's continuous heartlessness, failure to be there for me when I was having MAJOR heart problems (caused ENTIRELY by her BS), and her recent psychotic episodes, have left the trolley in pieces and had me hospitalized. I was left with no choice at all to leave her for my own good.

I hope to begin the rebuild VERY soon, but our home was owned by her family, I am permanently disabled and can't work due to old injuries, and I don't even have a roof over my head right now, and my disability checks will take a while to sort out now that I have no address. 

Anyone need a trolley builder? Lol 

Not trying to give a sob story, but in communications with people on here, I know a lot of people were waiting on updates. Sorry, all..... Forced delay of plans 

Wow, that is not good. If you are a veteran you can stay in a veteran's retirement home, might check on that.  Easy to get signed up with the VA, just take you DD214 to the local Veteran's Service Office, they can get all your records/etc.. If your illness is service connected you may be able to file for a pension.

I'm not a veteran. I did try to serve, but failed the physical due to my injuries (I basically destroyed my spine). I belong to Patriot Guard Riders, but that's it. I'll get it figured out, just need a bit more tine to get things straightened out.  Got a 693 credit score, may try to get a small loan. 

Thank you for your efforts. It means a lot to me.