New Runs of MTH Big Boy

paultorrey

Hi Paul,

Last update was delivery July 2016.

I keep the latest information posted here: http://www.rayman4449.com/MTH/MTH_OneGauge.htm  and also to this thread: http://www.gscaletrainforum.com/index.php?/topic/558-mth-2015-one-gauge-catalog/

The 4012 coal burner is sold-out with 4014 still available to order.

• 8 months later...

• 3 months later...

• 1 month later...

Finally able to  run my 4012 Big Boy, great engine, unable to run with a TIU as MTH is out of them. ran fine on analog. 10 times around on my layout, about 600 feet. ran fantastic; all 10 ft turns, it does swing out a lot even with the 10 footers. Thanks Ray Manley

To clarify what is being described here, one of the screws holding the right front steam delivery pipe to the downpipe on the engine itself is what came loose and fell out. (Which must not have been tightened sufficiently)   It does not secure the front engine set to the front of the engine or bare load, it's cosmetic connection (the L bracket in front of the motor and main rear articulating pivot screw and washers bare the load and hold in place.)  The engine should be stopped when noticed but does not halt the actual movement of the engine in and of itself.  The specs of the screw have been provided if Tom wants to obtain at local hardware store (I know Ace Hardware has them) or replacement will be mailed.

Tom, I will note that you need to position the engine on the stand correctly as the slider is being put under pressure up against that power contact screw from the stand.  Don't want to risk damage to the engine slider screw assembly if put under too much force.

Photo provided by Tom:

123_1.thumb.jpg.32a5ec965e7a0b267e30a24f32b607d4.jpg

• 2 months later...

Had the same issue with my 4014.  When picking up the engine the screw holding the steam pipe fell out.  I tightened both.  But right after I did that and put the engine back on the track, one of the screws that hold the side rods on the second driver started working loose, jammed and sheared off the hex head.  I was able to back out the screw shank that was left in the hole and called MTH.

They sent me a few screws but they didn't fit.  The shank was a smaller diameter and when I checked, it fit my older MTH BB.  Must be they changed the fastener to a larger diameter.  When I called Midge at MTH, she told me they didn't have any for the 4014s and would need to contact the supplier in China.  Not happy.

I did have some hex machine screws that I used to rebuild a Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Mallet.  Wham, it fit.  The hex was a little larger so I was afraid it would interfere with the side rods when in motion.  So I switched screws with the rear wheel since that one would have any interference.  Problem solved.

I also loc tited all those side rod screws so they won't work loose again.