Heavyweight 6-wheel truck

I mentioned in a previous post that a couple of bolt heads didn't come out because of bubbles, well the nice thing about using real bolts and rivets in the pattern is that I can grind the heads off, drill a hole and replace with a bolt or rivet, so the first side frames are saved. Bob.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the way I will attach the two sides together.  The square piece lying on the spring bar will be bolted on each side with two bolts.  Shortly I will make the second part of the mold to add these cross bars.  Just the spring holders, bearing boxes, some brakes and the bolster bar and It's pretty much done.

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

I need some help with some wheels.  I found three axles and wheels around my garage and they fit my 3mm bearing holes perfectly, but I have no idea what they came off of.  The hole size of the bearing must be larger than .118, has to be around .120 or .121, because the axle shaft size is .119 and it slips right on. Can anyone identify what they might have come off of? If I can find these wheels to buy, I can save myself the trouble of turning the ones that I have down on my lathe.  Well the revised truck sides and the roof are poured and in the morning, I will open them up, it's like opening up a Christmas present in June. Here is a picture of the the wheels.  The wheel size is: 2.657, with the flange: 3.255, and the axle between the wheels is: .268.

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

The second part of the truck mold came out good and you are wondering how I will get the pourable plastic up into the upper mold, well the upper mold has a hold in the top, so when I fill the bottom mold, I then place the top mold on, and then fill through the hole.

IMG_0525.JPG

I found a box with a bunch of wheelsets that I bought on Ebay a number of years ago and here is what I found.  The axle end measurement varied from .115 to .121, so much for quality assurance.  I did find three axles that were withing tolerances, so thanks for your trouble, Bob.

Gary Raymond has a heck of a lot of different wheel sizes, might be your best bet.  I've ordered quite a few from him over the years. Nice guy to work with. Sort of busy, wheels is a sideline. Best to just call him it seems. No Paypal, guess he may do credit card over the phone. I just mail a check.

http://www.audiomobiles.com/trains/pricelist.html

Thanks Jerry, I have taken care of it.  I turned down the wheels that I had. I have bought wheels from him in the past and his wheels are great. I am preparing the second part of the roof mold and hope to pour it today, but who knows. What are you working on now? Bob.

While pouring the sides, I noticed that since the plastic sets so fast, it doesn't allow the top part of the mold to seat properly.  I think one reason for that is that it is restricted by the fit of the mold, nowhere for the plastic to go, so won't allow the weight to push it down.  So, as you can see in the picture I have added vents or sprues to allow the plastic to go somewhere and relieve pressure and allow the top part of the mold to seat.  If, after trying it this way, there is too much relief, I can always put some clay in the vents to restrict it some.  I will know if this works either today or tomorrow, when I pour it. Bob.

IMG_0529.JPG

I will be pouring the top of the roof mold tomorrow morning when it is cooler.  The ladder that you see in the photo is to keep the top mold from sagging, it will be a part of the mold. The side parts of the ladder will be removed after the mold sets up, so the mold will actually bend longitudinally. This urethane is heavy, so this keeps the mold in the proper position.  In the case of the side mold, the window portions of the mold contact each other, so no rigidity is needed.

IMG_0530.JPG

Yes I am, but one factor that has changed is that I am working with urethane for molds now and it is much easier to make molds.  Previously, I was making hard molds out of epoxy, and that greatly took longer to make molds, so I found a new toy. Bob.

Hey guys, I am the proud owner of a Fine Arts PRR diner chassis and trucks that I won on Ebay, boy what detail, can't wait to put something on top of it. OK, who was bidding against me? Bob.

I picked up for 420, and was prepared to go much higher, but the other bidder stopped. I will use it as a model of a pattern, but don't expect too much, these trucks are exactly like the full scale and I don't think that I will model it to those standards. If, and when I do. I have so many projects, I doubt that I will finish them all, after all I am 71. Bob.

Engineer Joe.  Is  25.00 a good price for Finescale 33 inch wheels, for 4 wheelsets enough for one car? The guy, Larry Wallenslager that I bought the trucks from, says that he has 100 sets for sale. Bob.