Accucraft 2-6-6-6 Allegheny at ECLSTS

Rayman4449

I wish Accucraft would make Union Pacific's 844. I see Aster is planning to make it, but will probably be $7-8000. Plus probably be alcohol fired. I like gas firing better, you get good stack talk, seems the alcohol ones don't do that, or have much of a plume.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 years later...

• 2 weeks later...

When you look at the work involved for building a live steam loco, about up to 10.000 hours of metal work  for say an Alleghenie plus the materials that you have to buy to make one (wheel castings, cylinders axle pump etc. including having some special castings made in lost wax; the actual value of an engine comes to more that 6-7000 bucks. + You get a lot of satisfaction and pleasure from having one and operating it (its less work operating a live steamer than electric if you have brass track like I do...) And cherry on the top: It usually retains it's original value as time goes by (better than stocks, I would say over a 40 year experience that I have with live steam). And you dont get any hastle from the fancy electronics, what more could you want Raymond? (I know, you can handle that kind of hastle but most of us can't) If you like that engine, just save up your pennies and three or four years hence you can own one. Operating one of these beasties is a lot of fun.

For my part, I wish the Allegheny was in 1:29, not 1:32. There's been a lot of debate over which locomotive was bigger and better, the Big Boy, or the Allegheny. It'd be a lot of fun to 'settle' the debate on G Scale railways with both models being metal and the same scale. (We all know the answer to the debate, though: they're both awesome)

• 4 years later...